What gauge wire?

Please use this area for post and questions about the mysteries of motorcycle wiring.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

What gauge wire?

Post by Jeff L »

Comin up to 1 of 2 things I dread.I plan on a pretty much bare bones electrical system.Not quite sure yet if I'm running turn signals.What gauge wire should I use for the switch, head & tail/brake light, & going from coils to points?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: What gauge wire?

Post by curt »

jeff i use the wire that fits the blue connectors on a triumph never had a problem just dont forget the fuse between positive to ground
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Ok....looked up the blue connectors & thry're for 16-14 gauge wire.I'll have to read up on the fuse placement.This will be interesting to say the least.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

the positive wire goes strait to ground just put fuse somewhere inline easy to get to and use the newer style blade fuses if you can and just remember british is positive ground if ya forget halfway through and accidentaly wire somethin negative ground as soon as you turn the switch on it will pop the fuse no fuse and you wont know till all the wireing is smokin like crazy (drunkin personal experience :doh: ) put fuse in first and remember germans drink beer warm cause they use lucas electric good luck
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

You can wire it neg ground. I didn't trust myself not to wire something backwards on my T140 and smoke everything so I went neg ground.

Ken
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

I thought you couldn't do that because the alternator would short out
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Nope. This is the diagram I used for the Boyer ignition
http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc16a.html
It's just like wiring a Harley. I'm not sure if theres an advantage wiring pos ground but like I said, I don't trust myself to remember.
Ken
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks i learned somethin new today
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

That looks like a straight forward diagram.I might go with neg. ground for the same reason.
Northchop
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Started building choppers in '82, became a certified motorcycle mechanic in '88 from Fairview College in Alberta, got a 1st place trophy for a Santee softail long chop I built in '93 at World of Wheels in Calgary, rebuilding/refining my '74 Norton 850 rigid long chop now. In the bush, in a converted greenhouse, in NW Canada, 100 miles from Whitehorse.

Post by Northchop »

"... a chart specifically for motorcycles ... that factors wire gauge, amperage, and length.

https://revivalcycles.com/blogs/technic ... otorcycles

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”