Charging Problem

Please use this area for post and questions about the mysteries of motorcycle wiring.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Charging Problem

Post by railroad bob »

I've been riding several times this year after rebuilding the Super E and putting in a new battery. (92 FXLR)

Due to work, the bike sat a few days. I came home a few days ago, and when I started it, it seemed a little sluggish to turn over, but fired up and sounded right. I had a meal at a diner a couple miles away, and the bike wouldn't start. Had to get a jump start to get home, and the bike died after I parked it.
I charged it up today, tightened battery terminal bolts, added gas, and had a 10 mile ride. Got home and started checking the system.

Using a cheap multi-meter, got 14.27 VDC approx at battery terminals while running.

With regulator disconnected, motor and ignition off, I get these results...

Grounded stator check:
Stator plug to ground, no continuity either terminal. Indicates stator is NOT grounded (thats a good thing)
Stator resistance check:
Stator terminal to terminal, I read 0.4 to 0.5 ohms (not good, should be 0.1 to 0.12)
Stator AC output check (yes, AC, not DC):
Stator terminal to terminal with engine running, alternator should produce 16-20 VAC per 1000 rpm. I don't have a tach, but the meter responds nicely when revving the motor, from about 16 up to 66.

Testing done per HD Service Manual for 1991 FXR/FLT models.

Preliminary conclusion: Either my stator is shorted, providing too much resistance, or my cheap meter and I are doing something wrong.

I have more tests to do before I decide what to do. I'll try a different meter, and also check the regulator, before i tear into the primary system.
:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Re: Charging Problem

Post by Maxthegardener »

Well all I might say is that recently had a similar problem...turned out the inside of the positive cable from the battery was rotton?
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I have also had problems with the cables being corroded on the inside of the jacket where you couldn't see it I had this on both cables
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I have had bad ground connections cause weird problems before.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks for the replies, it seems like the loose terminal (ground side) was the culprit.
I've been doing some short test rides, everything seems OK.
Today, at idle, I was reading 14.26 VDC at the battery terminals.

I'll be keeping a close eye on it tho.

Next step is to get some bags hung so I can carry a small tool pack with me.
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

hate those 10 mm battery bolts never seem to stay tight
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Agreed, saw some on a Triumph Tiger today that go in from the top and are slotted. Might look for some.
TANSTAAFL
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

HD had a recall, the regulator was not properly grounded.
Also, the alternator plug, some years didn't have a spring clip to hold it down, J&P sells them.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I've had more problems because of not having one of those clips. That plug can be a little loose, not very noticable, and all of a sudden you don't have enough charge to turn over. Finally wised up and got one.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”