62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Postby 2Loose » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 pm

I was able to hold and drink a can of beer today with my left hand, I call that progress !!
Am working up to twisting throttles with my left hand, and holding the wheel in "Patches" with my left hand when I have to shift, but only in straight sections. Put the suicide knob on couple of days ago....
Aloha....
Willy

"Patches"

2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Postby 2Loose » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Well, it's been 8 weeks since I broke my arm, and it's getting stronger every day, managed to get back on my projects a bit, a couple of friends are of the opinion that the single 5/16" barb and hose on my crankcase breather mod is a bit restrictive. 3/8" to 7/16", and in high performance situations even 1/2" is needed to provide adequate crankcase ventilation capacity. There is a baffle with 4 ports inside this stock breather, which I blanked off to keep it from breathing on the rubber drive belt, which contains a small bit of oil vapor, and in the past kept my rubber primary drive belts pretty messy. I had blanked off the main breather outlet by brazing a nickle over the main opening, then I had drilled from the side into one of the four interior passages, and installed a 5/16" brass barb, the biggest I could fit given the narrow side width of the breather. Now I've added a second 5/16" barb, doubling my breather capacity.

This is the stock oem breather, meant to dump into a "wet" chain primary case, with an adjustable oiler capability, but I've shut the oiler down, so just the normal oil "mist" is all that comes out with the crankcase ventilation. But it is messy, so I want to divert it....

My first attempt, with a nickle brazed over the opening, and the side drilled with a barb pressed in to match one of the four internal passages...

JB Weld used for additional reinforcing, painted and ready to install....

This should keep the fumes and oil mist away from that rubber primary drive belt !!

But I got concerned that the 5/16" opening was too restrictive, so pulled it, drilled into the next internal passage, 90 degrees away from the first one I used (4 internal passages total), pressed in a second 5/16" barb, and added JB Weld for reinforcement....

Some clean up and fresh paint, and ready to install with two hoses...

Just for grins, lookin' at these numbers, hose ID and cross sectional areas:
5/16"= 0.3125" ID, area= 0.077sq. in.
3/8"= 0.375" ID, area= 0.110 sq. in.
1/2"= 0.500" ID, area= 0.196 sq. in.
two 5/16" barbs, area= 0.154 sq. in.
So I should be somewhat better than one 3/8" barb, but not quite up to one 1/2"...

2Loose
Conventioneer

Postby 2Loose » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Installed it, it looks kinda not quite right, maybe a barbed 90 on the top hose??
Hmmmm.....

The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!

Return to “Project Build-Logs”