Maz's GS550 project

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
chopsmitty
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello! I'm one of Michigan's top true custom chopper builders still in the game. I have carved a niche in the market as 'the guy who does everything except Harley based stuff', but that is changing slowly as I develop an appreciation for the single pin engines.

Re: Maz's GS550 project

Post by chopsmitty »

love the gauge in the gas tank... the girder... -heck, it's all cool!
Way to go :clap:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

chopsmitty wrote:love the gauge in the gas tank... the girder... -heck, it's all cool!
Way to go :clap:
Thanks dude, I really appreciate your comments - to get praise and appreciation from such a cool bike builder is simply awesome :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Hope you like the next one :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Maz wrote:Thanks Jeff, I will get some more :banana-gotpics: soon cos we're doing a photo shoot for some of the magazines..... :shhh:

Maz xx
So......did you guys get the shoot done? & btw....I'd still like to see pics of the bike without the rack & sissy bar..
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

We haven't done the photo shoot yet and I'm trying to recover all my data after my computer crashed....guess I may just have to go take some more pics myself :doh:

Maz xx

Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Well its a full year since I built the GS550 for my little sister and I've just had the bike back for a few minor repairs (carbs and starter) so here's the latest pics....
28 002.jpg
28 002.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
28 001.jpg
28 001.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
28 003.jpg
28 003.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
28 004.jpg
28 004.jpg (57.07 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
The bike is as sweet to ride as ever and the motor pulls really well for a 550.....that reminds me, I have a nice GS750 motor in the corner of the workshop...... :think:

Maz xx

TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

That's a clean ride, I like that verticle line for the back and down tubes at the head stock. The girder is very clean as well. I'm starting to think that would be a good thing for me to do to mine. I do happen to have access to a 21" spoke wide glide wheel... It will have to wait till I get the metric bobber done.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Well my little sister Niccy, owner of thhe GS550 Chop enetered it in the Bristol Bike Show which took place yesterday..the event is a free street show organised by MAG and held in the same place every year.

No28 was exhibited on the stand of the guy who painted her and attracted a lot of attention from the crowd and other exhibitors...we were well pleased when No28 won "Best Paint" and we got a blue rosette and a trophy :banana-dance:

We will be taking No29 to a few other shows over the next couple of months....
brisolMAG2012-02.jpg
brisolMAG2012-02.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Ace (sprayer), Niccy (owner) and me....

Maz xx

TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Looks nice and long; I like long bikes. Congrats on the award.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Next time you are stuck for an idea for a custom fuel tank , take a look at one of the stainless steel kitchen sinks that you find in a skip when some one does a remodel of the kitchen .

I can see how to slice it and reweld it to make a very good looking tank and it is STAINLESS !

All the weld marks can be polished out and the result buffed to a high shine or scotch brited to make a brushed finish .

Either way , its a good resource to try !!

:think: :popcorn: :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

i work in a milk plant. they thow 1mm stainless sheet out all the time
grabbed some for a future project
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Not much to report on this project other than we had to rebuild the ignition system after it failed coming back from a show.... :doh:

But another of my projects finally came home late last night....I originally built the Widowmaker about 10 years ago but then lost track of it...the bike is still owned by the same guy (Kev) and he had recently taken it to another custom shop for final completion...respect to Clive and the crew at SoLow Choppers for doing such a fine job, now she's back with me for some fine tuning and a few little details etc...
Widowmakerlatest001.jpg
Widowmakerlatest001.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Widowmakerlatest002.jpg
Widowmakerlatest002.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Widowmakerlatest003.jpg
Widowmakerlatest003.jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
For the techinally minded, she's an FJ1200 with 10 inch over front end, one-off frame with 6 inch goose and 8 inch over at the rear.....

More soon guys

Maz xx

Toff
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Chop lover, own 78 shovel chop, panhead and FXR. Like shotguns, rock, the drags, animals and wimmen too. Owned over 40 bikes, ridden over 30 years. Own Harleys (for a long time too) but love all bikes, got a soft spot for old Brit bikes and Kawasaki's Zeds, as well as Staffies and greyhounds.

Post by Toff »

Looks good. Lost count of how many people have used those FJ front forks too.Got some on the front of one of mine.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I like long bikes.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Have you ever considered (as a future project) a hossack front end on one of yer bikes !

Like an "S" shaped single sided girder part with one pivot point in the bend and the other at the termination at the top ??

:auto-dirtbike: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “Project Build-Logs”