Chopsmitty custom

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
neale
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in choppers from the '70's when I was in high school, reading custom chopper mag etc, I have never had or built a chopper to date, I'm trying to learn, I am acquiring equipment (tube bender, oxy torch etc) and am trying to get started building up the skills and information I need to get started on building a chopper.
My current bike is a Yamaha XV1000, I would class it as a mild custom rather than a chopper, a lot of the useless (to me) bits have been removed and I am trying to modify and chop a few more things off to get it to a longer, lower, leaner machine with better performance (custom shortened rear shocks, refabricate forward controls and drag bars, try and get raked cups working on it etc), but IMHO it doesn't have the right type of frame to build a "proper" chopper on, so I am looking for a more suitable donor bike for the project.

Re: Chopsmitty custom

Post by neale »

Are you actually on the big island? If so, I presume you're over the Hilo side then? most of the business is on that side, I spent 6 months over in Kailua in the early '90s and the big island is magic, just watch it driving on the road across the middle (past Mauna Loa) though, unless it's changed in the last 20 years, it's a military reserve in there, and I was almost taken out by a tank charging across the road, THAT would have been fun to try and explain to the rental company ;^) If you haven't been down to Volcano National Park, the view around Volcano House, steaming bluff and the crater floor is incredible at sunset as the temperature goes down and the steam starts showing up is pretty incredible.

Actually, mention of the Big Island gave me flashbacks, a volcano theme (black, red and orange) could make a striking colour scheme for a bike.

Sorry, waffled on didn't I?
chopsmitty
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello! I'm one of Michigan's top true custom chopper builders still in the game. I have carved a niche in the market as 'the guy who does everything except Harley based stuff', but that is changing slowly as I develop an appreciation for the single pin engines.

Post by chopsmitty »

We are actually in Kamuela (North Central). I'm working as the Instrument Designer/Machinist for Canada France Hawaii Telescope, so once every so often I venture to the summit of Mauna Kea. Jen, my wife, is waiting in Michigan 'till September 1st to fly out with the dogs. (Waiting on the pet quarantine process). So I haven't ventured out too much - waiting on my honey. I'll post pics when I have something cool to show.
neale
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in choppers from the '70's when I was in high school, reading custom chopper mag etc, I have never had or built a chopper to date, I'm trying to learn, I am acquiring equipment (tube bender, oxy torch etc) and am trying to get started building up the skills and information I need to get started on building a chopper.
My current bike is a Yamaha XV1000, I would class it as a mild custom rather than a chopper, a lot of the useless (to me) bits have been removed and I am trying to modify and chop a few more things off to get it to a longer, lower, leaner machine with better performance (custom shortened rear shocks, refabricate forward controls and drag bars, try and get raked cups working on it etc), but IMHO it doesn't have the right type of frame to build a "proper" chopper on, so I am looking for a more suitable donor bike for the project.

Post by neale »

I'm sure you'll love it there, I did, lots of magic places on the big island, worst bit (IMHO) is the resort strip on the lava fields on the Kona coast. It's generally a nice friendly country feel, rather the big city krap over on Oahu/Honalulu.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”