IAFF fire bike

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Re: IAFF fire bike

Post by concrete guy »

Great stuff as always John! Now, we figured I had over 4,000 cans of Budweiser in my build. How many BUDS are in your build??? 8)
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

beautiful ride there :text-goodpost:
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

LOL, you know there's more than a few, Scott. for me, it had to be bourbon bottles, i AM from Kentucky ya know. :banana-dance:

awesome don't even begin to describe the progress so far, John. and it amazes me how happy it makes me to hear that you're back on it again. you just made my day.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

I hear he burns a lot of incense when he builds to get into the mood. 8)
hose_dragger
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Former member of CBH....learning the ways to chop. Had a few bikes before....a few now...and lots more to come. Currently on a trike build, and a bike build. Thanks for having me back on board Dan. Hopefully I will do you guys proud!

Post by hose_dragger »

way more than 100 homegrown buds in this build...except once I get into the buds, the work starts getting slower and slower.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

And the results get more and more intricate !! :lol:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

hose_dragger wrote:way more than 100 homegrown buds in this build...except once I get into the buds, the work starts getting slower and slower.
Don't forget to be ready for the test...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Wow, those wheels are sick! And all that other stuff that I didn't do is OK too. :)

Love the paint...
Kraut
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I once was the "CAD Wizard", now I'm a "CAD What's it"!!!

Wow! 200 words? I don't even know 200 words! And I can't spell the words that I do know! … but, here it goes:

So, I've had a blast in the past on the old CBH forum, and I truly appreciate all information I've gathered there. I've met some great people at the old site. My collaboration with John (hosedragger) on his various projects was quite rewarding, a virtual sense of accomplishment. Thanks to Ken (blacsmith), I’ve had the opportunity to interact with my fellow countrymen, as well as other like-minded individuals.

I've recently joined the ever-increasing number of unemployed people here in Quebec, Canada. I still have a passion for motorcycles and nearly everything else that is motorized and mechanized, although my funds are limited more now than they’ve ever been. So, I must continue to live my passion vicariously thru the fellow members of this board … if they’ll allow it. Maybe, I might even have the opportunity to participate in conversations, thought-swapping, and interesting projects.

I’m a man-of-few-words! I do hope this is enough to gain acceptance here.

Thank, Wendell (Kraut) Pehlemann

Post by Kraut »

"Wow, those wheels are sick! And all that other stuff that I didn't do is OK too." - Indian Mark

I second that!!! This bike is amazing!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Whoever did the designs on those wheels must be some sorta CAD wizard.
hose_dragger
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Former member of CBH....learning the ways to chop. Had a few bikes before....a few now...and lots more to come. Currently on a trike build, and a bike build. Thanks for having me back on board Dan. Hopefully I will do you guys proud!

Post by hose_dragger »

Well the sad day came my friends. My OL said she wants me to get the bike out of the dining room by summer.

So.......started pulling everything apart today and hopefully by the end of tomorrow I will be dropping off the frame at the painters to get a matching shade of Red paint.

Darn women! It looks waaaaaay better than a silly table. Beside we already have a table in the kitchen. Why do we need a spare one in another room?
hose_dragger
Lurker

Post by hose_dragger »

Maxthegardener....I almost missed your post. sorry man. Yes there is a piston in the hydraulic clutch cover. In the piston is a tiny thrust bearing and oil seal.

They are almost too easy to make but sure look cool.
sometime this week I will try and post a simple drawing of how to easily make a simple one...then it will be up to ppl as to how intricate they make their own! -John
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

lookin real nice are you going to gold leaf the frame too
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hose_dragger
Lurker

Post by hose_dragger »

well for those that thought this bike was dead in the water....I am back (although on a limited basis) Life is way too busy...home renovations grrrrrr

I called my bike painting guy that did the tins and told him to get cracking on the frame.
They are sanding the powdercoat to make the paint stick. Paint will now be a dead on match for the tins.

The downtube will be painted to more closely resemble a firehose. Something like in this pic although the main color will be similar if not the same as the rest of the bike.
I redid the chain tensioners. The old system was oval inserts with 1" holes for the axle. I made them up with the holes in 1/16" differences. When the chain wore...you pulled the axle back and put in the next insert to tighten the chain up 1/16"

Pain in the ASS!... so I made a more typical arangement of a tightening screw from the rear.

Once the painter has some progress pics I will post them here.
Sure wish I had took his advice and painted the frame and tins at the same time instead of PC'ing the frame.
Attachments
hose.jpg
hose.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

The down tube sounds like it will be looking really cool.The whole bike is killer.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Project Build-Logs”