sugar bear springer on sporty

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: sugar bear springer on sporty

Post by gww25 »

The rotation point is always at a right angle between the center of the wheel axle and the steering axis line no matter how a rocker is configured. Also keep in mind that the true steering axis may or may not be in line with the steering stem or the fork legs since you have to figure in whether so-called 'raked cups' or raked trees' are being used as they are on a lot of springers to modify the trail figures. Krymis and I personally suspect that Sugar Bear uses raked cups for some of his customer bikes and you can sometimes see it in photographs. Personally I think that the use of raked trees and/or cups is about the worse thing a guy can do to a bike but everybody has their own way of doing things.
Here's a link to an unfinished article I did about dropped rockers that adds a little more fuel to the fire. keep in mind that this write-up is not a completed work but it does touch on some of the things we've been talking about.
http://chopperhandbook.com/rockers.htm
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

With respect to the legs on the SB front ends I do know, based upon front ends owned by friends years ago, that at one time he made very long forks using 1.125" diameter steel rod. I suspect he changed over to 1.25" because of liability issues once his products went more mainstream. They still bend a lot going down the road and this looks spooky but is normal on any long forks and is actually part of the 'suspension'. This is why 'solid' front ends work and we used to build a lot of solid front ends on long bikes back in the old days. I still claim that tubing front legs will bend less than solid stock and is a better way to build fork legs but that's just a personal observation.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Just got thru reading that article and now I am going to try something to work out some idea I have been having ...... Thanks G
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

so i finally got back on the sporty hardtail project. The wishbone and lower rail tubes are 1.25. the back bone is 1.625. I will set the ride height to 4.5". my wife wants me to put the 250 rear tire on. I may do it. I will be doing a dominator style rear clip.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I can't wait to see it!!!

Return to “Project Build-Logs”