83 Honda Shadow

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

83 Honda Shadow

Post by Metalbender »

Ok so here is my latest project, It's an 83 Honda Shadow VT750C I picked up for $500.00 from a friend of mine.
I know what your thinking....yes that is my living room, I don't currently have a garage to work in and I wanted to get this finished for summer. It worked out pretty well after I got rid of the couch..
Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

Re: 83 Honda Shadow

Post by Metalbender »

Here is what I ended up with for the final layout, I still have some welding to do and the girder will set back a little further after I make another set of trees. The ones on it now won't allow for correct trail and must be changed.
I raked the neck by cutting the downtubes and stretching them out some to get the 40 degree rake that I had planned on. Then I built the trees and mocked up the girder to see where everything was gonna be located.
Metalbender
NewB

Post by Metalbender »

Here are some additional pics of the build so far.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Looks like some quality work you did there. Nice Job!

Scott
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Like that style..Did you sandwhich the plate together?? Welcome by the way!! Love the workshop :D
Metalbender
NewB

Post by Metalbender »

Yes, I didn't have any 5/8" material so I used two 1/2" plates welded together. It's a little thick but since it was my first build I figured it would be a little safer. Im debating the final weld up of the girder, I don't know whether to mig it or tig it. I have used mig for many years and just taught myself how to tig a few months ago so i'm a little uneasy with my tig welds.
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Metalbender wrote:Yes, I didn't have any 5/8" material so I used two 1/2" plates welded together. It's a little thick but since it was my first build I figured it would be a little safer. Im debating the final weld up of the girder, I don't know whether to mig it or tig it. I have used mig for many years and just taught myself how to tig a few months ago so i'm a little uneasy with my tig welds.
Looking pretty dam good! Tig might be a little neater looking, but go with what is going to be safe. Remember, it's your ass you're dealing with!
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

I'm likin the look, real nice. :popcorn:
i agree with stickin to mig if thats what your more comfortable with,
just don't set the drapes on fire. :lol:
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Welcome to the site, and nice work. I especially like your design on the links.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Metalbender
NewB

Post by Metalbender »

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, I am currently working on the slugs for the downtubes. My downtubes are factory original 1.25 outside erw tubing, I made some slugs out of 1.25 x .250 wall DOM tubing. This allowed me to be able to turn a step in the slug to match the inside of the erw and be flush with the outside of the tube. Gives a pretty clean look and it's not just a solid slug, I had read somewhere that tubing slugs were stronger than solid so I hope this works out ok.
here is one of the slugs
and here is the other
This end was just round tubing that slug was easy to make
This was the problem child it was not round so I had to get creative.
I first cut a section out where it needed to be dipped in
Flipped the cut out section upside down and tig welded it back in place
and here it is all together with the end
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hello there, welcome to the forum and nice bike build man. I love the honda shadows sweet little bikes, i feel your pain about not haveing a workshop to work in. I also use spare bedrooms in my house to work in since my workshops are way to full to work in, just got use of a friends huge workshop for my project builds so things will be real good this year when the darn cold weather goes away. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice approach to the slugs, new method to me. Thinking outta the box with the compressed tubing also...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Project Build-Logs”