Maz's FZ750 Project

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Maz's FZ750 Project

Post by railroad bob »

Does the negative cable running from the battery to the swingarm? If so, will the current screw up the bearings/bushings?
Will ya have good contact?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

railroad bob wrote:Does the negative cable running from the battery to the swingarm? If so, will the current screw up the bearings/bushings?
Will ya have good contact?
That's not the negative battery cable - its the original brake hose which runs through the swingarm.....I left it in place to prevent any welding/grinding dirt getting in there and also to use as a draw-string to pull the new hose through when I'm ready :doh:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Lookin' good lady , I got a couple of questions that got nothin' to do with this build !

Last months(issue 334) of BSH top right page 50 , Izzat you ?

This months (issue 335) of BSH article starting on page 8 is the best example of a "dead slider" telescopeing front end I have seen yet (or would be if it had a proper coil over shock in place of the "springer" springs) !

And last , Whats yer opinion of Jesse James version of a "diamond" springer ?
:obscene-drinkingcheers: :D
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

gearhead1951 wrote:Lookin' good lady , I got a couple of questions that got nothin' to do with this build !

Last months(issue 334) of BSH top right page 50 , Izzat you ?

This months (issue 335) of BSH article starting on page 8 is the best example of a "dead slider" telescopeing front end I have seen yet (or would be if it had a proper coil over shock in place of the "springer" springs) !

And last , Whats yer opinion of Jesse James version of a "diamond" springer ?
:obscene-drinkingcheers: :D
Thanks Dude :banana-dance:
now let me answer the questions.....issue 334 page 50, no comment and I have an alibi...... :whistle:
issue 335, page 8 article, yes I agree that is a really good example of a dead slider front end but why ruin it with an inferior spring set-up on such an otherwise well engineered bike :doh: he could easily have put a slim (or twin) coil-over and made it a much better system.....I suppose he had to do the springer-style springs just to go with the overall "look"........ :think:

Jesse's Diamond springer.....I was initially quite upset when I saw this as I have been quietly working on a tapered-leg Diamond springer for a while and the great man beat me too it :angry-banghead: but the more I look at it the more it vindicates my own use of Diamond section so fair play to the guy :banana-dance: I will just have to do an even better job of making mine :snooty: :hand: :lol:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

think of it this way maz you started a trend
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

curt wrote:think of it this way maz you started a trend
:text-goodpost: I like that thought :banana-dance: Cheers dude :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Maz xx

Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

Post by Metalbender »

Hey Maz, got a couple questions for ya...What wall thickness and what size square tubing do you use for your diamond girder build ? is it cold rolled tubing? I wanted to use square tubing on my girder build but since it was my first I thought I better stick to round tubing instead. Thanks in advance and love your fabracation skills..
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Jesse's Diamond springer.....I was initially quite upset

We all know where we saw it first!!
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Metalbender wrote:Hey Maz, got a couple questions for ya...What wall thickness and what size square tubing do you use for your diamond girder build ? is it cold rolled tubing? I wanted to use square tubing on my girder build but since it was my first I thought I better stick to round tubing instead. Thanks in advance and love your fabracation skills..
I use 25x25x3mm square tubing (approx 1 inch square by 1/8), BUT I only use it on the diamond as this is the strongest application.....
Maxthegardener wrote:Jesse's Diamond springer.....I was initially quite upset

We all know where we saw it first!!
Yeah, even the best of em have to copy me :laughing-rolling: :hand: :naughty: :snooty: :banana-dance:

Maz

Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Still working on the small parts at the moment - almost finished the battery carrier and it is looking more "punk" by the day :lol:
mazfz750 049.jpg
mazfz750 049.jpg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Also been busy machining some billet parts for a local guy and I just picked up my electric hoist so I can make a swing jib over my bike table for lifting engines etc - just don't have the muscle power you guys do :hand:

Maz xx

Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

Post by Metalbender »

Love it, I've never seen anyone use the tubing on a diamond before really gives it a whole different look. Great Work Maz. :banana-dance:
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Metalbender wrote:Love it, I've never seen anyone use the tubing on a diamond before really gives it a whole different look. Great Work Maz. :banana-dance:
Thanks Dude, just like doing stuff a bit differently I guess :banana-dance:

Maz xx

Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

I haven't done any work on the FZ project for a couple of days because a friend on a Brit forum told me about an electric hoist on a really cheap offer price in a local store....its a kit of an electric winch/hoist set-up on an extending boom arm for mounting on a pole to lift motors etc. I went and had a look immediately - it is a good quality overhead hoist/winch with all the mounting hardware and a remote control etc, it can lift 1/4 of a ton and it was just under £60 (less than a hundred bucks!!!!!) so I got one and I've been busy making an attachment for my bike table so I can use the winch instead of lifting heavy motors on and off the table....you never know, it might just save me from breaking a few nails :doh: :hand: :snooty:

I'll post some :banana-gotpics: when I've finished it and then I can get back to working on my bike :banana-dance:

Maz xx

gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Just to add to yer " maybe" file ! I had my N reg Citroen ZX up on jackstands to make a rear end repair and found that thing has the shortest , smallest dia shocks I ever saw on a car !

That "Rattle and Hum" bike in BSH has custom made nuts all over it , they are engaged by a equally custom socket to engage the holes drilled around the circumferance of the nuts !

If you aint familiar with that construction let me know and I will talk you through it !
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

gearhead1951 wrote:Just to add to yer " maybe" file ! I had my N reg Citroen ZX up on jackstands to make a rear end repair and found that thing has the shortest , smallest dia shocks I ever saw on a car !

That "Rattle and Hum" bike in BSH has custom made nuts all over it , they are engaged by a equally custom socket to engage the holes drilled around the circumferance of the nuts !

If you aint familiar with that construction let me know and I will talk you through it !
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
I think I know what you are describing but some more info would be good (just in case I'm having a blonde moment :doh: )

Maz xx

Return to “Project Build-Logs”