Slow Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Slow Build

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

railroad bob wrote:Curt's shim solution sounds like the way to go.

Looking at the front mount, are you planning a gusset plate between the vertical and horizontal plates shown?
Yes, I am going to beef it up . It won't be strong enough as is.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I was taught to use the rear motor mount as the 'good one' even if it was 'off' and then shim the front. Try to match the tranny mount to the rear motor mount if you use this advice. I have yet to see a chassis, factory or otherwise, where all three planes were spot-on.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

gww25 wrote:I was taught to use the rear motor mount as the 'good one' even if it was 'off' and then shim the front. Try to match the tranny mount to the rear motor mount if you use this advice. I have yet to see a chassis, factory or otherwise, where all three planes were spot-on.
Thanks Gary, and thanks to everyone.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

if you can use a steel shim and try to tack weld it to the frame it sucks when you forget to put it in depending how much it is shimed you could crack a case or cause oil leaks in the factory split
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt wrote:if you can use a steel shim and try to tack weld it to the frame it sucks when you forget to put it in depending how much it is shimed you could crack a case or cause oil leaks in the factory split
Thanks Curt, I won't forget the shims.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I did an online search on shimming the HD. This is a big problem with many responses on many forums.

So thanks for the heads up, and we will attempt to do a proper install before anything else.

Motor Co. Bulletin M-1324:

https://app.box.com/s/gc2vp815yihg8g82g51e

My setup is different but it does apply for all 1990 and later Dyna model motorcycles.

Someone here may have use for this.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks, works for my bikes...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Gonna get on with it

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

It's So Purdy!
It's So Purdy!
OP.JPG (28.7 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Arrived last week;

Open primary , 6 speed trany, spoke wheels, Starter.

Working on the oil tank now, will be finished welding it today.

Check for leaks later. Or maybe I won't check for leaks, it will keep the chain oiled? :-? :lol:
Something new for me
Something new for me
TANKOIL.JPG (33.44 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Poured a cup of gasoline in the tank, swirled it. I seem to have 2 small leaks , one along a bottom seam, the other on the outlet fitting.

Blow the tank with air before I try to fix the leak.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Is there a specific reason you used gas to test for leak? I think I'd do a little more than just blow it dry with air. Love that primary man.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

It flows well. Through the tiniest pinhole. I was going to use laquer thinner , but didn't have any.

I made sure it was all evaporated before I repaired it .

The primary was the least expensive one out there . Made in the U.S. I really like it.

It fit my budget too.
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Hans, on the motor mounts, why dont you just cut the welds on the rear one, or the front one, bolt the case in tight and re tack whichever mount you cut loose. If you tack weld it in 4 places it should stay in place when you weld it. Better than having to use shims. What type shims? Flat washers?

To do it so everything lines up, you should bolt the case to the mounts, install an inner primary cover and bolt the trans case in and attach your mounts and then tack weld all the the mounts, engine and trans, to the frame. It also is a good idea to have the rear wheel centered and install the rear belt, or chain, so you can make sure everything clears the rear frame tubes. Thats the way I'm going to do mine.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

IRISH wrote:
To do it so everything lines up, you should bolt the case to the mounts, install an inner primary cover and bolt the trans case in and attach your mounts and then tack weld all the the mounts, engine and trans, to the frame. It also is a good idea to have the rear wheel centered and install the rear belt, or chain, so you can make sure everything clears the rear frame tubes. Thats the way I'm going to do mine.
I am going to leave the motor mounts; there is only .005 clearance so washers could be used , but I will shim.

Today I cut out the rear trany mount to reposition it.As you suggest, I am going to line the rest up to make sure everything is in alignment.

I had to take a slice out of the seat post to get the 6 speed some breathing room.

Good to hear from you, Irish. Will this be your second or third, build? I remember your first very well.
rusty and ratty
rusty and ratty
shims.JPG (39.95 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Hi Hans, It's my second with building the complete frame. Craig

Return to “Project Build-Logs”