Slow Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Slow Build

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I have been back home again for a few months and have the house for sale. Doing the usual clean-ups and touch ups.

Looking at my frame again, and thinking of getting rid of the axle plates and re-doing the rear axle area to look like the picture.

I like the look much more than what I have now.

I am thinking to cut the frame and wishbone just ahead of the axle; slug and weld it. I have some concerns about the strenght.

I will post a shot of the existing area of my frame when I find it in my picture files.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: Slow Build

Post by gww25 »

We showed how to make these 'nonadjustable' axle bosses on the old board. Hose_Dragger and I came up with a nice looking arrangement that still allowed about a half-inch of adjustment to help with aligning the rear axle. I'll see if I can find the drawings but you'll probably come up with your own idea. Slugs will be just fine if you get a good fit. Use tubing and not solid slugs for the best results.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

gww25 wrote: I'll see if I can find the drawings
Thanks Gary. That would be very helpful.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The existing axle plate setup.
This was last year. It is more complete now,  than pictured.
This was last year. It is more complete now, than pictured.
DSC06528.JPG (141.33 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I like both set ups.Your fame looks sweet as is, but if you want to change it, now would be the time.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Does look neat though Hans...
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

here's the sketch. You can change the diameter of the tubing to suit your requirements.
axle-round.jpg
axle-round.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks Gary; I do remember that drawing from one of the old sites. Great option. I might decrease the O.D. a bit.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Here's the frame as it is now.
I posted this one in "File & Fit" on the previous site.
I posted this one in "File & Fit" on the previous site.
DSC06633.JPG (147.99 KiB) Viewed 7840 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for the input. I am going to cut down the size and finish the tube ends.

I do prefer Gary's non adjustable. I am taking the easy way out.

Take off the excess.
Take off the excess.
DSCN1323.JPG (107.57 KiB) Viewed 7742 times

Took 2 hrs. to make these little buggers
Took 2 hrs. to make these little buggers
DSCN1319.JPG (90.62 KiB) Viewed 7742 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nah....the easy way wouldve been to just buy a frame.You took the better road.Those little pieces of cut tubing put a nice touch on the ends.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

You're talking nice touch!
You're talking nice touch!
SPORTY_BABE.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Got some grinding to do.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

DSC06808.JPG
DSC06808.JPG (154.62 KiB) Viewed 7711 times
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

The details make all the difference.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Some more filling and grinding tomorrow.
A little BONDO does wonders.
A little BONDO does wonders.
DSC06825.JPG (137.22 KiB) Viewed 7686 times

Return to “Project Build-Logs”