Slow Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Slow Build

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/evolu ... ost3973066

Click on the St. Charles link in post #16.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

cool resource, thanks
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:You know the phrase " holy monkeyboots? Hi Max good to see you.
Apparently??.........nice motor hanz.....
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks. I should have the charging system waiting for me when I get home. Going to look at some recycle parts today.

Going to clean it up some more and paint it flat black again.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

which system did you choose?
was it spendy?
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

COMPU-FIRE

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

ITSONLYMONEY
ITSONLYMONEY
COMPURECSMALL.JPG (52.12 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
There are other cheaper setups; I took the compu-fire. It was recommended by Dave on CW.

In Canadian $ it came to about $280.00 inc. delivery.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

sounds reasonable for quality.
been a long time since I researched this, but I remember Compufire having good reviews.
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Re: Charging Unloads

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Apparently the OE shorts to ground when the battery is fully charged.
The way compu-fire works sounds like a better system.
thatsOK
thatsOK
UNLOADS_STATOR.JPG (52 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

sorry, you said charging system, but for some reason I was thinking electronic firing.

Didn't realize companies were making charging systems.

I had problems with the OE stator magnets myself, on a trip from Cal to New Mexico.
Had a hard tail wind, started feeling some very slight difference in something, wasn't sure what was going on.
After awhile, it kept happening more frequently, so I exited at Palm Springs and found the dealer.

That was about 1994, bike was relatively new (1991), and they worked for hours before diagnosing it as a battery.
I took off, got a mile, same thing.
Went right back. They wound up working on it for at least an hour or two past quitting time, but got it right finally.
The magnets had just started to come off, only a couple so far, and the trouble was intermittent. That's why it was hard to troubleshoot.

I wound up getting another new stator years later for different reasons.
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

railroad bob wrote:sorry, you said charging system, but for some reason I was thinking electronic firing................ They wound up working on it for at least an hour or two past quitting time, but got it right finally..........
The magnets had just started to come off, only a couple so far, and the trouble was intermittent. That's why it was hard to troubleshoot......I wound up getting another new stator years later for different reasons.
I thought so when you mentioned Crane HI-4. I don't know what is in this evo but I don't think it is Crane HI-4.

There are some great super-adhesives to hold the rotor magnets on. Unless they had a replacement rotor , this could be how they repaired your '91.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

it was a replacement.
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Mounts

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

HELP!!!
HELP!!!
Mounts1.JPG (55.31 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
When the mounts were welded in by welder buddy, using the borrowed cases, the top edges are not exactly parallel. I just checked. I want to tack in the trany mounts. If I level the front motor mount, the rear motor mount is slightly off.

So , the question is, do I use the Front Motor Mount as the reference for the trany mount install, or the Rear Motor Mount, or does it matter?

I don't want any problems with the motor plate install and it's holes lining up.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i have seen factory frames shimed . I would make the front level , shim the rear then set the trans . I think its a fairly common problem welding pulls things sometimes
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt wrote:i have seen factory frames shimed . I would make the front level , shim the rear then set the trans . I think its a fairly common problem welding pulls things sometimes
Thanks Curt, I will do it that way.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Curt's shim solution sounds like the way to go.

Looking at the front mount, are you planning a gusset plate between the vertical and horizontal plates shown?
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Project Build-Logs”