Irish's CBH CR200

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Irish's CBH CR200

Post by Indian Mark »

Hey Irish, What ever happened to the hot rod(s) you guys were building??
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Hey you guys crack me up! I actually spent a week cleaning my shop up before starting this project! I found a bunch of misplaced tools and parts I forgot I had. Yeah I am not one to sit around watching to tube too much. I did check out the last chopper shows. It was American Chopper that got me going a few years back when it first started. I told myself if those two guys can do it then I sure can! The hot rod model A is still around Mark. It's down in NM at my Dads place. I went down a couple months ago and we pulled the Buick V6 out of his old 914 and mounted it up in the car. I'll post a pic soon. I will drag that car up here to Nor Cal this year if it last thing I do!

I am going to get bending the bottom tubes here soon. I need to make a plane of bend clamp for the angle gauge. I'm not paying 50 bucks for one. I think mechwerks has them for 30, but I can cut one out of some 1/2" material down at my brothers shop if I can just get over there and use his plasma cutter.

I found this idea on the web. It should work fine for the angle finder mount. I am going to but a new angle finder also as this one is crap.
IMG-20130109-00929.jpg
IMG-20130109-00929.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
IMG-20130109-00930.jpg
IMG-20130109-00930.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
IMG-20130109-00931.jpg
IMG-20130109-00931.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
IRISH
Lurker
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

I got this wheel; an 80 spoke and AL hub. It was cheap, probably chinese I guess? I think its DNA.
Attachments
IMG-20130109-00934.jpg
IMG-20130109-00934.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

OK a little update. Unfortunately at this stage it doesn't look like much...I angled the neck fixture of the jig forward 20* and then adjusted the steering tube to 45* rake for this 43.5" long springer fork I want to use. I mocked it up with some yardsticks to check the height. I have the top frame tube stretched out another 3" from the plans that I am using, which are already 4" out from a '48 rigid pan frame. Looks like it should fit and look good at this angle...comments?

Looking at the third picture down, you can see that the wheel center is only 9.5 inches off the ground, the small silver sharpie line represents the ground, so that effectively raises my lower frame tubes up.
I know this means my lower rails will be about 4" higher than at the planned height of 5", but when all of the weight is put in, it should come down to it's planned ride height of around 4.5 - 5 inches. Maybe..I hope...
Also mocked up the handlebar riser height and looks like I will need a 12 - 14 inch tall bars to be able to reach them...The springer risers are 6" up from the top of the neck...
neck fixture new.jpg
neck fixture new.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
neck fixture 45 deg.jpg
neck fixture 45 deg.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
fork mockup1.jpg
fork mockup1.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
I know this means my lower rails will be about 4" higher, but with all of the weight put in it should come down to it's planned ride height of around 4.5 - 5 inches.
fork mockup2.jpg
fork mockup2.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Also mocked up the handlebar riser height and looks like I will need a 12 - 14 inch tall bars to be able to reach them...
riser mockup.jpg
riser mockup.jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

I printed a miter template for the top tube, cut it and set it back in the jig. The angle was supposed to be 45, but it turned out closer to 40 which is OK I think.
IMG-20130116-00951.jpg
IMG-20130116-00951.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
IMG-20130116-00955.jpg
IMG-20130116-00955.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice work Craig, can't wait to see that long raked springer on the road.
Classic chopper style!!!
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Thanks Bob! Yeah that springer is crazy long...I scored a 21" narrow hub front wheel, but the hub is still too wide for the brake rotor to fit.
IMG-20130118-00957.jpg
IMG-20130118-00957.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
I'm trying to get my head around how to bend the lower rails and it's giving me headaches! I'm using a single 1.5" down tube and I want it intersect the head tube near the bottom of the head tube. I'm attempting to use parts of two different plans from the CBH; the 200 and front down tube part from the 250-4, but without the radiused down tube. Complicated....I bent up some pieces of wire to try to visualize it. There are 5 bends and 3 rotations in each tube...I think.
IMG-20130120-00963.jpg
IMG-20130120-00963.jpg (74.2 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
I'll need to say a prayer and genuflect towards Texas for this one! Gary are you out there some where?
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i dont know if this will help but i went through a similar problem what i did was spin up a couple slugs cut the tube where i was havin problems put in the slugs and played with a few short pieces till i could visualize it luckily i had lots of extra tube it took me a while
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

curt wrote:i dont know if this will help but i went through a similar problem what i did was spin up a couple slugs cut the tube where i was havin problems put in the slugs and played with a few short pieces till i could visualize it luckily i had lots of extra tube it took me a while
Yeah Curt that does help, I actually pm'd Gary and he suggested I do a mock up with some conduit or short tube bends and straights held together with hose clamps. these are both good ideas. I have some conduit so I'm going to go out and try it now. I'll let you know how it goes soon. Thanks!
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

I am having a hard time making this lower tube, especially the last bend that points the tube up and in to the axle plate.

The plans state: "This is a 32 degree up bend that puts the rear tube inward and upward at the same time. The rotation will be approximately 18 degrees depending on the bender"

My question is 18 degrees rotation from what reference point? I have tried this bend a half a dozen times with conduit following this instruction, but it doesn't come out right. Has anybody that is still around actually figured this out and done it? I have searched chopperweb and found numerous references to people trying to figure it out, but nobody has actually ever showed how to do it. I am using 1.25 tube and my bender radius is 4.5" just as called for in the plans.

I finally cut the tube after the last screw up and rotated the rear kick-up to align it properly. It seems that the 32 degrees as called for is too much. The angle of the rear tube where it goes up to the axle plate is supposed to end up at 25 degrees, but mine is at 30. It should be 25 degrees to match the angle of the top tubes.
lower rail 1.jpg
lower rail 1.jpg (119.97 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
lower rail 2.jpg
lower rail 2.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
lower rail 3.jpg
lower rail 3.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
lower rail 4.jpg
lower rail 4.jpg (111.39 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Last edited by IRISH on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

ya i couldnt get that one either junked a bunch of tube ended up so fustrated i just did the first 40 deg bend then doing a 90 4and a half inches up back to the downtube actually liked the way it turned out
009.jpg
009.jpg (177.53 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

and i love that springer always liked those twisted legs
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Curt, I think I got it. I bent a 28* angle (opened up from 32 a bit) and I made sure I had exactly 4" between the out bend and the up/in bend. Now my rear tube angle is 25* like it's supposed to be. I know this is why Gary states numerous times that everyone's work will be different and practice is important! I now have a pattern in 1" EMT. Now if i can just copy it to the tubing I'll be good. I still don't know how many degrees to rotate exactly, or from where, but I'm getting there!
I read on chopperweb how JJ does it, bend out then rotate 180 and bend back in and then up to the axle plate, which is what you did Curt. But I want this fucker to match the plans and be symmetrical top to bottom. I also modified the axle plate fixture on the jig to match the dims from the plans exactly.
10deg.jpg
10deg.jpg (139.77 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
25deg.jpg
25deg.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

OK, I finally figured out the best way to bend these lower rails on the 200. Here's how: Start at the rear and measure out 15" and mark the tube. I found a piece of material that fits snug over the tube so I can make a line around the tube. Make the first bend, which I figured out on my bender should be 28 degrees (as opposed to the 32 called for in the plans). Lay the tube on a table and set the angle up with a protractor so it's at the desired 25*. Look at the pictures I took that shows the setup. Then mark the tube in the center or 5/8" up from the table. This will be the center line of the out bend.
setup1.jpg
setup1.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
setup2.jpg
setup2.jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
If you are using 1.25" OD tube as I am, then you can divide the tube circumference into degrees pretty easily. The diameter is very close to 4" so 90* = 1", and 10* = 1/8". even though this is not exact it will work fine for this and it's easier than trying to clamp the protractor to the tube when its in the bender. You can double check it with the protractor also.

So, the distance around the tube from the "up" bend to the "out" bend turns out to be 90* + .25" (1/4"). Using a flexible tape you can measure around the tube and mark it. I am using the center line of the inside radius of the bends to measure from, as that is the easiest for me to visualize.
setup3.jpg
setup3.jpg (165.96 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
setup4.jpg
setup4.jpg (119.35 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
From trial and error using the 1"EMT I figured out I needed a bit more than the 12* as specified in the plans so I went with 13* mark on my bender gauge. I measured 4" from the end of the first bend, this is where the out bend starts. Then make the out bend. You can check that the bends are correct by laying the tube back on the table and clamping a plate to the edge of the table then setting the tube up against the plate and aligning the tube with the edge of the table and measuring from the edge of the table to the tube. The tube should be parallel with the edge of the table.
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Moving on to the front, measure 17" from the end of the "out" bend and mark the tube. This is the first bend of the "ramp" up in front of the motor. The tube is angled in toward the center of the bike 10* also, so you will need to rotate the tube in the proper direction depending on which side you are making. So 10* = 1/8" of rotation.
lower rail 1.jpg
lower rail 1.jpg (130.48 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
lower rail 2.jpg
lower rail 2.jpg (129.77 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
lower rail 3.jpg
lower rail 3.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
lower rail 4.jpg
lower rail 4.jpg (179.33 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
lower rail 5.jpg
lower rail 5.jpg (128.14 KiB) Viewed 4403 times

Return to “Project Build-Logs”