Irish's CBH CR200

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Irish's CBH CR200

Post by IRISH »

I started (again) on the new chop this past week. I got the seat post x-member and seat post fish-mouthed and cut, and also mitered the rear wishbones. I'm using the blueprint from the CBH for the CR-200 (Custom Rigid) with wide rear wheel. I'm using a 1.5" backbone instead of the 1.25". I also want to use a single down tube instead of the double tubes running up from the front motor mount. I'll bring the lower rails together just above the front mount and run another 1.5" tube up to the head tube.
seat post cross member and seat post mitered and cut to length ready to tack
seat post cross member and seat post mitered and cut to length ready to tack
DSCF0003.JPG (173.24 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG (181.54 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG (141.13 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
I scored a vintage Randy Enterprises springer fork that is quite long, 34.5" from the lower tree to the rear rocker pivot, so I want to stretch the backbone and down tubes more than what the plan calls for; how much more I don't know yet. I need to get the rear wheel and tire bolted up and then I can mock up the front and get the look I want. I ordered a 18x5.5 rear wheel for the project and I will mount a 180 or 200 tire. I will probably run a chain final drive to keep it narrow.

The springer came with a 18 inch Hallcraft's front wheel and mini drum which I'm selling on ebay. I'll use a 21 inch narrow glide disc brake wheel up front so the bike will stop. I need to shape up the rockers, or build new ones as the original Randy's are a goofy shape (70's). I also need to find a 1"-24tpi die to fix the stem threads as some idiot beat them up for some reason - probably trying to keep the top nut from coming loose I guess.
14 over Randy Enterprises front end
14 over Randy Enterprises front end
DSCF0008.JPG (156.78 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
I used the Tube Miter program.
rear wishbones getting fitted to 1 1/2" backbone
rear wishbones getting fitted to 1 1/2" backbone
DSCF0004.JPG (182.3 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
final fit up is nice and tight
final fit up is nice and tight
DSCF0012.JPG (136.25 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Irish's CBH CR200

Post by Jeff L »

The joints look nice.What program did you use.Forget which one I had, but my computer crashed before I got a chance to use it.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
IRISH
Lurker
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Tube Miter by Giles Puckett: http://www.ozhpv.org.au/resources/shed/tubemiter.html

It's the same one I used on the first one. You have to convert to mm. Works really nice.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Nice Start! :popcorn:
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Thanks Jeff and Max.

Day 2: I tacked the top tube to the seat post. Then I welded two lengths of 1" angle to the cross bar on the jig to hold the seat post cross member in place. I then wanted a support for the top tube so I set up a length of 1x2 rectangular tube at 25 degrees from horizontal and used a 1.5" hole saw. I then sawed through the center of the hole. I will weld tabs to each side of the pieces and drill and tap them to make a clamp to hold the top tube in place.
1-1-13-1.jpg
1-1-13-1.jpg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
1-1-13-2.jpg
1-1-13-2.jpg (112.74 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
1-1-13-3.jpg
1-1-13-3.jpg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
1-1-13-4.jpg
1-1-13-4.jpg (179.36 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
As I mentioned earlier I am build the jig as I build the frame so I can reproduce this frame over and over in the future. I am going to make the head tube fixture adjustable so that the rake and height of the head (steering) tube can be changed for different degrees of rake and position. That's next.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

ok, ok, you are having waaaaaaaay too much fun. can i come over and play?

i've gotta get done with this moving crap so i can get on with putting the knuck back together.

good luck to ya as you progress!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

You are welcome anytime Dan! Thanks! It is fun to get back to fitting a frame together. I sold the old front wheel that came with the springer so I'm shopping for a 21 now.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice start Craig, and I think making the jig as you go allows you to make decisions and changes
that are hard to foresee without a huge amount of pre-planning. Should save you quite a bit of time.
Good idea...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Thanks Bob. It's fun as hell too!
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

OK another update: Over the past couple of days I got the upright that will hold the back bone (top tube) welded in place between the jig rails and I welded two tabs on either side of the notch at the top of the upright so I could attach a U-bolt (which is actually a 2-1/4" muffler clamp I had laying around) to hold the top tube firmly in place in the notch. I realize that this upright is not adjustable for height at this point, but later on if I want to change it for a different frame I can make it adjustable. I'm trying to do this as simply and inexpensively as possible, so I am trying to use materials from my scrap heap.
1-5-13-9.JPG
1-5-13-9.JPG (200.13 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
1-5-13-13.jpg
1-5-13-13.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
So after I completed that I clamped the tube in and lined everything up. I beveled the bottom of the seat tube and tacked it to the cross member. I then pulled the assembly out and welded it out on the bench. Next I'll attach the rear wishbones to the top tube and then it will be time to bend the lower rails. I may need to get some more tubing as I only have 10 feet left and I'm not sure if I can squeeze both bottom rails out of that or not. I am going to use a single lower down tube from the neck, so maybe...
1-5-13-5.JPG
1-5-13-5.JPG (137.71 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
1-5-13-2.JPG
1-5-13-2.JPG (158.07 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
1-5-13-12.jpg
1-5-13-12.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
1-5-13-4.JPG
1-5-13-4.JPG (135.38 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
IRISH
Lurker
Craig

Post by IRISH »

I also cut and drilled some aluminum plates for the adjustable neck holder. I need to decide whether to use 3/4" round bar or threaded rod for the neck holder. I am thinking of maybe using round bar and boring a 1/4" hole in the end to be used as a pilot hole for a hole saw for cutting the top and bottom tube notches for the neck.
1-5-13-1.JPG
1-5-13-1.JPG (132.3 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
1-5-13-3.JPG
1-5-13-3.JPG (171.46 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im always jealous of you guys able to keep your shop that clean while working on a project
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Post by Russ »

curt wrote:im always jealous of you guys able to keep your shop that clean while working on a project

Same here.

Irish's work shop is cleaner than my kitchen.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

now THAT'S what i'm talking about! get off the friggin' couch, tell the reality shows to kiss your ass, and actually live some *reality* yourself. that's exciting. and there's too little of it today. that's why people from way back when are worshipped today...they were too busy *doing* to care what anyone else thought.

keep her coming along, man. we're hanging on the edge of our seats over here, waiting. :banana-dance:

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

budoka wrote:now THAT'S what i'm talking about! get off the friggin' couch, tell the reality shows to kiss your ass, and actually live some *reality* yourself. that's exciting. and there's too little of it today. that's why people from way back when are worshipped today...they were too busy *doing* to care what anyone else thought.

-dan

Well said! Gotta go, Idol's coming on.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”