69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3 Chop aka the Unholy Virgin

Post by Jeff L »

Between last night & this morning,I got more parts powdered & in the oven.They still need to be flat cleared, but I wanted to see what they looked like so I did a quick bolt up.Now I have to clean oout my blast cabinet (that'll be fun) & switch over to Glass bed, so I can do some of the Aluminum.Then I can lace & hopefully true my rear wheel.
DCFC0001.JPG
DCFC0001.JPG (25.92 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
DCFC0003.JPG
DCFC0003.JPG (25.95 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Beautiful color, just begging for some pinstriping...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Blue n Brasss.....nice, hurry up..next bit ..next bit..
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

railroad bob wrote:Beautiful color, just begging for some pinstriping...
Pinstriping would look good huh!Something Im gonna think about.I cannt tell ya how many colors & how long I looked at this one in particular before committing to it.I was definately looking for something different.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Maxthegardener wrote:Blue n Brasss.....nice, hurry up..next bit ..next bit..
Its actually an RAL light green.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

No progress getting parts back on the bike, but I got all my internals checked out.Everything came up like new.The engine showed very little ware.It's almost ashame I took it apart,but it really was worth the peice of mind.I'll be getting prices on bearings this week.
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

your bike is looking sweet, i really like the twin tanks. this may be a stupid question, but when your talking about using jb weld, are you using it to make your welds look better kinda like body filler? or is that something that you need to do for powdercoating?
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Thanks man.Using it like filler, to filet the welds. holds up to the heat.I had problem with it bleeding through the clear, so Im trying high temp lab metal now.Havent cleared yet so I cannt say if it beter or not.Does take a little longer as the Lab Metal needs to be heat cured.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I was playing around with different styles of handle bars.This is what I've decided on for now.
Attachments
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG (134.66 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG (143.94 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (143.87 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

good progress man cant wait to see it all done
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

My build stalled for awhile, but I have been doing little things here & there.Here's one of the things I've been up to.Just adding little touches to make it different.I cut the webbing in the holes out & will add screen inside them & you'll see where I plan on doing the same to the reat brake plate.
Attachments
DCFC0005.JPG
DCFC0005.JPG (85.68 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG (108.43 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG (105.71 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG (102.95 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG (153.78 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I also put the other frontend back on for now.I might be selling the springer I have.Will have to take the neck bolt (cannt remember what the fuck its called) off the leafer to put back in the springer.The sale might not happen....we'll see.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I glass beaded the cases & some other engine bits & pieces.I was taking out the set screws in the crank to clean the sludge traps, & one got fucked up :angry-banghead: Be callin MAP cycle tomorrow for new ones.
Attachments
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG (134.99 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Here is another link you can check, if ya don't have this already.

http://www.britbike.com/
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

dam sludge tube never comes out easy
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Return to “Project Build-Logs”