69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post by Jeff L »

needless to say, this has been kicking my ass. Can anyone shed some light on why the mark on the crank wont sit at the 12 o clock position? I put a tdc plug in the front of the case & brings me to 38* BTDC. The pic shows where the mark lines up.
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG (62.34 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
When I put the timing gears in,I lined the crank gear at 12 & set the cam gears to that (its no wonder I have no compression). Also what does the F.A. stand for
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG (119.09 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

F.A. = Full Advance
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Thanks, I realized it a little while after I posted the ?. Any clue about my timing mark? Should Zi just disregard it & make a new mark?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Triumph is always timed at full advance , not tdc !!
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I have no clue what is up with the marks on the crank & cam gears. Don't know where this had different cams put in it or what. When piston is at TDC the intake is still closing. I set to time the valves off the other side & at TDC the mark on crank gears is 8 teeth off. After playing around I set got to where both cam gears were also 8 teeth off their marks. Took compression test & coming up low (figured because of new rings). Shot a little oil in the cylinders, & came up to 120lbs. I'm at the point now where I can get it started, but it won't stay running. I think it's starving for fuel. So now I have to take the carbs off & check float levels & make sure they're all clean(I had gas in the tanks all winter & think it went bad. Little bummed, but I sure liked hearing it fire. Can't wait till I can hear it running.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Sorry , IGNITION is always timed at full advance but the valve timing is done at 38 degrees BTDC !!
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

When the mark on the crank gear was at 12:00 piston was at TDC. Unfortunately for some reason it put number 3 at TDC not number 1. Ignition is set at full advance at 38* BTDC. I got past all that & it does fire, just cant keep it running, pretty sure cause its not getting enough fuel. Couple posts up I screwed up what I was saying. In that pic piston number 1 was at TDC. Look how far off the mark is. That is where I was having all kinds of problems.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jeff L wrote:When the mark on the crank gear was at 12:00 piston was at TDC. Unfortunately for some reason it put number 3 at TDC not number 1. Ignition is set at full advance at 38* BTDC. I got past all that & it does fire, just cant keep it running, pretty sure cause its not getting enough fuel. Couple posts up I screwed up what I was saying. In that pic piston number 1 was at TDC. Look how far off the mark is. That is where I was having all kinds of problems.

Good to hear you are closing this out. I had an old BSA that kept stalling /flooding because of leaking floats; allowing too much fuel in.

If you are at TDC on the compression/firing stroke on #1 and you are positive both valves are closed, I guess there isn't much you can do about how far off the mark is ??
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Yeah it seems to have good compression, & I'll be pulling the carbs back off to recheck floats. I'm trying to find spec on slide wear if there is one. Maybe install new float pins. I just hope it sorts out without having to buy new carbs.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Seems all the problems I've had trying to time the valves resulted in having some of them bent. Did a leak down test & there is some gas leaking through the seats. I have to send the head out, but unfortunately thats on hold.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Thought I posted this but it’s not here so, I’ve had my fill with trying to get this triple running. I pulled the engine & sold it. It was a hard choise being I had so much time into it. It will now be redesigned & new power plant put in its place. Check out the next thread.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

geez, man sorry to hear that. i hope the next one shows you a bit more love.

be looking forward to the next thread.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Yeah it sucks, but I’ve gotten some work done to the frame so I’ll be starting another thread soon.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”