69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post by Maxthegardener »

Got the lathe going then.. ;) :popcorn:
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

gearhead1951 wrote:If it worked on the car engine it should work on the bike engine , the machine dont know or care where the parts came from !! :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Thats what Im thinkin....
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Maxthegardener wrote:Got the lathe going then.. ;) :popcorn:
Well its always been ready...just dont have tooling for it, & dont know how to use it.I got a cutter off someone & went in blind.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Cool. I'm working on putting a Fairbanks Morse from a Wisconsin generator on my Triumph. It started but only ran on 1 cyl because it has 1 set of points and 1 lobe on the rotor. A dual lobed rotor should fix it but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Jeff L wrote:The distributor is electronic.Firing order is just a matter of swappin wires around.Being it doesnt run off any kind of sensor, my thought is that when the spark gets to where its suposed to jump, it will jump regardless of what direction its spinning.It will be awhile yet till I find out if this will work or not.If it doesnt work...Ill be putting a Boyer unit in....But I think this looks pretty wild hopfully it will work.
Shouldn't be an issue, just like a boyer works CW and CCW so should the distributor. The Geo and BSA both have 120 deg cranks so that should work. Awesome idea!

Ken
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

kheaton wrote:Cool. I'm working on putting a Fairbanks Morse from a Wisconsin generator on my Triumph. It started but only ran on 1 cyl because it has 1 set of points and 1 lobe on the rotor. A dual lobed rotor should fix it but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

Hope you get it worked out dude....a mag is the way to go.
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

Man I've been thinking about your distributor set up and I'm not sure how different BSA's are from triumphs but a triumph cam turns half speed of the crank. So you need fire every 120 deg of crank turn, this means if BSA and triumph are the same your distributor needs to fire every 60 deg of turn. This is why my mag only fired #1 cyl on the compression stroke. Triumph has a 360 deg crank so I bought a 360 deg firing mag and I actually needed a 180 deg firing mag (360 crank turn = 180 turn on the mag). If the Geo distributor is designed to spin half of the crank then you're good to go. I've been looking for info on it but no luck so far. Not sure if you already know all this, I'm just trying to save you from some of the same issues I went through. I'm also looking for a 3 cyl tractor mag! If I find one that will work I'll send you the model number. Old tractor mags can be had on ebay for around $40
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

No....I didnt know any of that man.....I really appreciate this kind of feedback.My plan (like most of what I seem to do) was to just put it together at relatively cheap cost & see if it worked.I did run my plan across the guy who fixes our cars, & he says I will need the ICU off the car for it to work.Unless I can pick one up REAL cheap, I might be scrapping this plan.I have looked for a 3 cylinder mag... I haven't been able to come up with any.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

On a whole other note....(fuckin ADD is great isnt it?)....no wonder I never finish anything.I picked up this glass lens for my tail light some time ago
light1.JPG
light1.JPG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
...cool I think...but it doesnt quite fit.
light2.JPG
light2.JPG (32.45 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
...so I made this little spacer...with one of my favorite caveman tools...the trusty hole saw & I used the boring bar on my shitty little mill.
light3.JPG
light3.JPG (31.02 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
....And here it is fits like a glove now...
light4.JPG
light4.JPG (36.1 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
....the only thing is it doesnt have any clear glass for the lisence plate....but fuck it
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

A super brite white LED could fix that .... small and bright ...!!
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Right now the bulb is a regulal old 1157.Are you saying replace that with LEDs or add them for the plate?Brighter would be better.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I was able to scrounge up most of the little parts for my front drum.Now the front end is basically complete, minus one return spring & a cable.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Looking good. I would love to chop a rocket3, but I have been called sick.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

thanks man....One of these days it may actually get finished
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I decided that since the springer sale went south,& still have the neck bolt from it,I'd put the leafer back on.Just gonna slightly tweek it from how it sits now.I don't like the bars, so I'll make new ones.Still need to make a longer axle too.
frontend.JPG
frontend.JPG (68.15 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Return to “Project Build-Logs”