69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3 Chop aka the Unholy Virgin

Post by Jeff L »

Here's a pic of the top motor mounts.
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG (92.44 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
I also started making some cables.The throtle cable is in the first pic.And here is part of the brake cable
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
...the throtle cable is a brake cable off a bicycle, & the brake is the clutch cable off my Honda.I still have to figure out how I'm gonna mount it to the foot pedal.Speaking of which...here's the foot controls I came up with.Originally I had them coming straight off the frame.But I decided to move them back & up a little
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG (82.97 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (88.14 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Got some little odds & ends in the oven.They came out pretty good.
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG (90.21 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
I also got the rocker boxes torn down, cleaned up & back together.I think the air cleaners came out lookin cool
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG (84.87 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Maybe I can get the valves lapped in & put the head together over the week end.
Attachments
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG (91.86 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is looking very nice. Good detail. I like your your brass fuel(?) taps.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Thanks man.Its comin along.Hopfully I go back to work soon so I can finish the engine.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I got the valves lapped in & the head back together (had to make a little tool to compress the springs).I'm now just tightening up little odds & ends that I've let go.Just a couple more parts to go in the oven & cleaning up the covers.Still waiting on some income so I can buy the pieces I need to finish putting the engine together.Seems I'm at the point now that even the smallest detail I take care of,I can see the build getting close to firing up..... It's a good feeling being that its taken soooo long.
Jeff L
Contributor

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post by Jeff L »

Finally got my rear axle cut down & rethreaded.Started working on the carbs.All cleaned up & nowhere to go...hahahaha.They were kinda cruddy but mostly everything looks good.I'll tell ya....for parts that are over forty years old....everything has been cleaning up very nice.Need a few more seals than I originally thought ,but they're on the list.
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG (75.67 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Not a lot of progress, but I did get the carbs back together.I also rummaged up the rest of the small parts missing for the wheels.Bearings packed & back together hopefully for the last time.Oh...Ive been workin on replacing the springs on the seat, the mountain bike springs are like sittin on concrete.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Well I've been up to no good again.I said before that theres alot of weird shit floating around in my head.This is one of them....I made my 1st part on my lathe.
dist. 1.JPG
dist. 1.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
.This peice will go inside here
dist. 2.JPG
dist. 2.JPG (41.47 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
.This is where the points go.
dist. 3.JPG
dist. 3.JPG (44.7 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
What is that hole for you say....for this
dist. 4.JPG
dist. 4.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Its a distributor off a 3 cylinder Geo Metro.It doesn't run off a cam sensor or anything, so I don't see why I cannt get it to fire.Anyones input would be appreciated.The one thing that really has me scratchin my head is that the metro dist. spins counter clockwise & the bike clockwise.But I don't think it will know it going backwards.Oh....the little tapered peice at the top left of the 1st. pic will get cut down & pinned to the shaft of the dist. & locates in the end of the cam of a similar taper.I still need to weld a couple of tabs on to bolt it down with.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I used an old fork spring for my seat.It feels much better, but the assembly from the mountain bike only has a couple inches of travel.Now I have to figure out something to fix that.
Attachments
spring.JPG
spring.JPG (41.03 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

that distributor outa the geo is a hell of a smart idea cant wait to see it all together good work man
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Does the distributor use points and coil? What is the firing order for each? I'm not checking to make sure you know; it's just dumb questions?
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

The distributor is electronic.Firing order is just a matter of swappin wires around.Being it doesnt run off any kind of sensor, my thought is that when the spark gets to where its suposed to jump, it will jump regardless of what direction its spinning.It will be awhile yet till I find out if this will work or not.If it doesnt work...Ill be putting a Boyer unit in....But I think this looks pretty wild hopfully it will work.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

curt wrote:that distributor outa the geo is a hell of a smart idea cant wait to see it all together good work man
....yeah...I cannt wait to see if it works either.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I got the peice that fits into the cam cut down tonight.I plan to load it with a spring to keep pressure between the distributor shaft & the cam.Still need to cut a slot for the pin.
pin1.JPG
pin1.JPG (35.14 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
pin2.JPG
pin2.JPG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

If it worked on the car engine it should work on the bike engine , the machine dont know or care where the parts came from !! :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “Project Build-Logs”