69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Re: 69 BSA Rocket3... the Unholy Virgin

Post by Russ »

Jeff L wrote:Thank alot man...I like the front alot more now that I cut the small bars off & replaced them with much longer 5/8.I figured out my bars too.Hope to have them made up tomorrow....Whats up with the Beemer man???
Beemer is coming along slowly. I'll post a few pics again when I have something pretty to photograph. At the moment I'm stripping paint off the frame after the top coat reacted with the primer. Thanks for asking.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

lovin' it every step of the way. and the handlebars? hell, that's one of the most difficult parts of the build if ya ask me. and just FYI, i'm running a 7/8" throttle too - Tachikawa brand. why? because it simply feels better in my hand. and the grips i'm using? off a Honda Magna 50. they feel better in my hands than any other grip i've ever had. my front caliper and master cylinder are from a Yamaha Jog-Z scooter (but they're a Brembo 2-pot setup). they fit the bill perfectly.

who cares what it's from or how you make it as long as it's right for you. that's the great thing about building a chopper instead of a strict restoration IMO.

i'm just waiting for the startup video.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i remember the old days all we could get were japaneese disk brakes they were way cheaper and way easier to find
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Man...what a colossal pain in my balls the top end was.After a couple attempts I did finally get it together.What a relief.I'll be putting a few more small parts in the oven tomorrow.Have some pics when they go back on.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

here's a little shot of the pistons right before I put the head on.
pistons in.JPG
pistons in.JPG (59.8 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
The few small parts that got powdered today
PCed parts.JPG
PCed parts.JPG (59.12 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Here's what they look like back on.Probably to most they look like the same pics over & over...but it is moving along
back together.JPG
back together.JPG (65.08 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Still undecided whether I want to powder the assemby that links all the carbs together.Now I have to make a list of shit thats missing from the primary side.Mean time I will start on some oil lines & a little wiring.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Check this out....When I put the frontend back together yesterday,I thought the Headlight needs to be powdercoated too.Today while I was running wires to the light,I took it apart to re solder the connection.What I found was that bucket is brass & someone painted over it.Took a few minutes to clean it up.....more better.
brass.JPG
brass.JPG (57.2 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

About time I ressurected this Dinosaur.Moneys been super tight,& with that comes lack of motivation.I scrapped up enough Money to get most of what I've been waiting on.A Brake Switch,for lack of a better place to mount I put it here
brake switch.JPG
brake switch.JPG (136.36 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
All Oil Lines are run but 1.
oil lines.JPG
oil lines.JPG (151.96 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Clutch,Oil Pump went in & I should have the rest of the Primary in tomorrow
oil pump.JPG
oil pump.JPG (146.66 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
primary.JPG
primary.JPG (140.51 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
I will be able to get the timing side of the Engine finished up tomorrow too.The Tranny is finished barring a couple gears that are on the way.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

what do you still need to get you going? i'm glad to see you back on it.

i'm not Mr. Moneybags by any means, but if we know what you need, maybe someone here can help hook you up. we've all been there.

keep at it, even just a few minutes a day.

and post the pics of what you do!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Thanks for the thought Dan.Hopefully I'll go back to work soon & Money will start rolling back in.Anyway I did get the Timing side buttoned up today
timing side.JPG
timing side.JPG (143.34 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
The Primary is just about complete.I realized I missed a couple small Parts that will need to be ordered(no big deal)I also made up the Spacers for the front Axle.The Shifter works,but the cross over that I made is slipping a little.I drilled a hole in the Shaft that holds the Linkage & drove in a Roll Pin so hope that will hold...find out Tomorrow.Expecting the Gears for my Tranny & Carb Parts to be here by Sat.Thats it for now.
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

i hear ya about having to order a couple of small parts. that's all that's keeping me from having the knuck back together. unfortunately, having to order a small part from over here means about a month wait until it finally gets over here. :confusion-shrug: what can ya do? build an engine stand while you're waiting!

-dan
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Wow...I start gettin Antzy waiting just a week for parts.I got the Shifter Linkage back on & pinning it did the trick.it works pretty good.I've had this Part in the back of my Mind since I made it, cause I wasn't able to test it till just recently.I did need to bend the Handle back a little...it hit my Leg when I shifted, but all in all I happy the way it turned out.
shifter1.JPG
shifter1.JPG (144.07 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
shifter2.JPG
shifter2.JPG (151.84 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
I think it fills in the Space without being to unsightly.I think I'm gonna strip all the Parts I Powdered in Black & polish the bare Metal & throw some clear Powder on them.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i am also feeling the poor man blues every time i see progress on yours it makes me jealous but at least someone is makeing some progress keep up the good work
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I got light....started to run some Wires & Tail Light & Brake Light are working.I'll wire the Head Light tomorrow.I got Paper work coming to get started on getting a Title.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (134.26 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Crackin on Jeff ...nice to see!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Great progress. Those nice little tanks and those 3 carbs...go easy on the throttle?!

Return to “Project Build-Logs”