Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat

Post by budoka »

i hear ya, Bob. i wanted to try and kick it over so bad this weekend. we had a 3 day weekend and i almost couldn't stand it. i don't wanna be spending more time in the hospital though.

i think i'll try it next Sunday if i'm feeling stronger.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

it's been a long wait, but finally yesterday it fired up! I won't even try to tell you how happy i am. :banana-dance:

-dan

-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

nice sounds good looks like you got some ride weather too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Wow man....didn't realize you were down for so long.Does look & sound good.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

thanks, guys. the seat, turn signals, and rear fender/sissybar are just for the inspections and will get changed back to my original short fender after inspections. i'll also throw the flat fender/sissybar on there for longer trips, etc.

now just have to retighten the head bolts and base nuts a couple more times, then take her for a spin!

-dan
little d
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: just an old grey beard thats been riding and wrenching since a pup. I currently have a 80 FLT with a 80" EVO stuffed in it and am building a little light 113" EVO based hotrod that I hope to drag race and maybe some day, take to the salt flats and see what I can do with it.

Post by little d »

Wow, that turned out nice.
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

LOOKS and SOUNDS GREAT!

Got to like that feeling when you get her going!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I am pleased to see the bike running so nice. Merry Christmas ?
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

nice one dude, now go do some sweet miles :clap:

Maz
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Wow, congratulations! That was a long time coming. Well done Dan!
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

well i guess some of you may have noticed me being pretty much MIA for the last year. i had just finished inspections on the knucklehead, and took it out for the first ride, only to have the pinion shaft snap.

broke. clean. off.

ironic huh? the only parts i didn't rebuild myself (was going to, but sent them to a shop at the request of a friend) were the ones that broke. i was pretty maxed out on funds since i had pushed it pretty much to the limit just to get the knuck back on the road in the first place, so i knew it was gonna take several months to save up the cash.

then at the end of March, a cager ran a stop sign right in front of me on my way to work, totaling the dual purpose bike i rode to work every day and busting me up real good in the process (broken arm, cracked ribs, etc).

i had to stop hanging out around the forums, etc. because it was literally making me so depressed (yeah, yeah, i know, go down to the local drug store and get ya the biggest jar of "toughen the heck up" you can find, right?).

finally back in the fall i was able to get another dirt bike to ride to work, and as of a couple of weeks ago i scraped together the money for the parts i needed to rebuild the engine again (still wish i had enough cash for a set of S&S heads - maybe i need a Go Fund Me page, LOL). i got the parts ordered from Dave at American Legends in Lexington, Kentucky which just so happens to be right next to the town i grew up in. i highly recommend Dave btw, he's got the best prices i've found anywhere, and he's good people too.

while i'm waiting for the parts to get over here - they should be here next week - i've been busy tearing the engine down again and working on a few tools i'll need to do the lower end work myself this time. i'll post the build of the tools in that part of the forum.

anyway, i go in next week for surgery on my wrist (still problems from the wreck) and i'll be in the hospital for 5 days or so, so i don't know how much that will affect the rebuild, but i'll try to keep steady progress anyway in the hopes of riding this summer.

well,
:text-worthless:

so here ya go.

take care,
-dan
Attachments
knuck_16021.jpg
knuck_16021.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 5700 times
knuck_16022.jpg
knuck_16022.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 5700 times
knuck_16023.jpg
knuck_16023.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 5700 times
knuck_16024.jpg
knuck_16024.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 5700 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for the write up and the pictures.

I would have had 40 fits with all these set backs.

All the best, and will be watching this and the other posts re. the rebuild.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Holy Crap. Didn't know about all that.
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

yeah, it's been an interesting year.

sitting here in a cast, looking at the box of parts that i needed to rework the knuckle's crank. it'll be at least 2 weeks before i can really start doing anything on it.

and wouldn't ya know, i have the next 2 weeks off work for spring break here. ironic, ain't it?

oh well, i can wait a bit longer.

-dan
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post by 2Loose »

Just bumpin' ya to see if ya have any progress.
I'm stuck on my projects, gotta get moving again...
Aloha from Maui,
Willy 2Loose

Return to “Project Build-Logs”