Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat

Post by curt »

theyre going slow been busy as hell at work . i kno what you mean i hate lettin others do work for me im not a patient boy that is the reason i even learned to do this stuff for my self and i would love to see a discussion about ballancing wheels outas well
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
joe49
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been on the CBH since 04 been on bikes since 68 'nuff said............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Post by joe49 »

Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

So Dan, What's the scoop on this thing?? Post a pic or two of it's current state of affairs!
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Danr detailed how to balance the fly wheels of his indian scout by the static method . I agree with him on the subject as it pertains to fork and blade v twins because the cranks are too short for there to be any "rocking couple" if you do the job as he did it .

His balance factor was 58% and he found that and old builders tale was accurate , after he reassembled the wheels he installed one complete piston and checked the crank on his knife edges and it was perfectly in balance (would not stop at any point twice when spun and allowed to coast to a halt)
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

i guess slow progress is better than none at all?

i'm almost afraid to post these for fear that i'll jinx it, but i'm getting close. now if i can just get the heads back, i'll be riding (i hope).

-dan
Attachments
knuck1401_1.jpg
knuck1401_1.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
knuck1401_2.jpg
knuck1401_2.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
knuck1401_3.jpg
knuck1401_3.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
knuck1401_4.jpg
knuck1401_4.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
knuck1401_5.jpg
knuck1401_5.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

sweet I like how you painted the inside ive only ever seen it done on car motors never thought about doing it on a bike makes sense
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Most Harleys & Indians were painted in the inside to keep the oil from seeping through the sand cast cases. I find that lightly baked Glyptol works well. Just don't decide to bake it in the wife's oven, the house stunk for a week & I got to buy a new oven.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

Looks Killer!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

How often have you polished it in the last 6 months?

Looks good.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

are those different coatings on the piston top and sides?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:How often have you polished it in the last 6 months?

Looks good.
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

curt wrote:sweet I like how you painted the inside ive only ever seen it done on car motors never thought about doing it on a bike makes sense
actually, i can't take credit for that. it was done by the guy who built the engine before me. using RedKote seems to be pretty common of the older iron due to the porosities that sometimes show up in the cases.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

Customize IT wrote:Looks Killer!
thanks, man. i just can't wait to be riding it again.

-dan
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:How often have you polished it in the last 6 months?

Looks good.
if we're talking about the engine, none, believe it or not. if it's the other, well that'll have to stay between me and the missus. :whistle:

-dan
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

railroad bob wrote:are those different coatings on the piston top and sides?
good eye, Bob. i had the skirts teflon coated and a ceramic coating applied to the tops. i don't wanna have any more holed pistons.

-dan

Return to “Project Build-Logs”