Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post by budoka »

well, just when ya thought this build log was done...here we go. not exactly what i was hoping for from the first day-long ride i was gonna take.

-dan
Attachments
holey pistons, Batman!!!
holey pistons, Batman!!!
knuckpiston1.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 9542 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat

Post by jonester123 »

Hi budoka, sorry to see that you are having engine problems. By the looks of that picture looks real bad, good luck man in the repairs and a major thank you for setting up another awesome bike forum. I am sure we can all make it as good or better than the old one. :clap: :dance: :bow-blue:
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Nasty looking wound. Just a burnt piston or more damage?
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

That piston looks like it had an argument with my plasma cutter....and lost :doh:

I hope you get it sorted and running strong again soon :pray:

Have you figured out what caused it yet Dan? Weak mixture? Advanced ignition? Don't know a lot about Knucks but I bet some of the other members can help out with this one :think:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

that really sucks dan but at least we know ya ridem hard . wish i was there to help love tearin into the old bikes . hope your able to get all the pieces out without too much trouble
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

thanks folks. Maz, you were naming all the exact questions i was asking. Tomo and i looked at it and discussed it, and we had a guy who works on knucks a lot here look at it, as well as a guy who used to work on Toyota's racing team building engines, and the conclusion we collectively reached is that it was a crappy combination of factors all piling up that caused it.

for one, i may have had the timing just a hair too high, but not so bad that it was pinging or even kicking back when starting it. not nearly enough to cause that. secondly, seems there was a tiny hairline crack that had developed where the old intake ports were welded up when the heads were converted for dual carbs. my guess is that the engine running for 1500 miles or so with those huge, heavy SUs hanging off of it may have caused that. i know, i know, i *should* have done a pressure test to check for leaks, but the engine had been running like it was, so i thought it was probably ok. expensive lesson learned. third, i may have had the carbs running just a slight on the lean side since i had been playing with the jetting to alleviate an overly rich condition, but again, not so bad as to cause any pinging, and the plugs were looking real good (if anything the plugs were saying it was still just a slight bit rich, but i had decided to stay at that jetting since a little rich is always better than too lean). lastly, the guy who used to build engines for Toyota's race team swears that the rear piston either had a problem in the casting, was dropped at some point, or was hit with something at some point, otherwise a piston that thick wouldn't have burned through anyway.

i'm taking steps to address all those possibilities as i put it back together. right now i have it torn down 100 percent to clean all the piston trash out. believe me when i say it got *everywhere*. good thing i got it shut down real fast. not sure when exactly i'll be riding again, but i'm gonna take my time and make sure i put it back together right.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

I think you're doing the right thing Dan, even the smallest bit of old piston material could wreck the oil pump or lunch a main bearing etc.....its a gut-churning moment when you first see all that shrapnel but it has to be cleaned out. As for the reasons, I was just going on past experience (with my old Sporty).... nearest I ever came to that kind of damage was a similar combination and on one really bad occasion when a valve dropped.........I'm sure that you will get her sorted and back running as sweet as ever.

And thanks for finding time to get this new board up and running despite living in the ongoing turmoil of earthquakes, working, martial arts and family stuff.....as well as trying to fix your bike! What a guy :clap: :bow-blue: :dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

sometimes i think its more fun wrenchin em than ridein em its the sinkin money into em that sucks
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

We only ride em so we have an excuse to take em apart again to fix em...... :doh:

Maz xx

Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Sorry to see that Dan!
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Man...that sucks.Hope you're back rollin down the highway soon
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Gremlin
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: It's me, Gremlin, from Winnipeg. I do custom leather and chainmaille for those that want quality. I ride a 2002 Sportster. My son calls me an oversized garden gnome. I am a family man (wife and son) and currently retired.

Post by Gremlin »

With everything you went thru just to get the bike to Japan you sure didn't need this. But don't worry, it may take some time but you will get it going and be on the road again.
I don't make mistakes, I experiment.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

What a bummer Dan! I know all about those intake leaks with the Pan. I stuck a piston a few years back. Pressure test can be a bitch sometimes because you are testing a cold engine that is not representative of the actual enviroment that it lives in. I have been think about a plate with a big o-ring to bolt to a head to check the heads out completely before assembly. I would like the o-ring to be able to take up to 300* F so I can throw the head in the over for awhile before doing the test. I will do this before my Pan get put back together. As soon as I get this other chopper out of my shop, it is full steam ahead on the Pan.
Keep us informed on what you find.

Scott
buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

Post by buellfun »

thats wild, i just seen a flathead 80 in the same shape. crappy pistons. who built the motor? If i remember right you bought the motor from billy lane. He is some times hard on motors and bike. I am sorry to see that happen to you, the Keith black pistons are a good replacement choice. But hey I still think a broken knuckle is cooler than my evo. The boys a deluxe here in denver do alot of knuckles so if you need any help getting parts let know. I bet the first ride down the road was just short of watching your children being born.

Chris
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

dan do you have the springer build photos? if so that is something that would be good to post up for these guys to see.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”