Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat

Post by railroad bob »

Makes sense, teflon for friction and ceramic for heat resistance.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

It will help against piston growth as it wont be able to get as hot from the combustion process !
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

how you making out on the motor
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Curt, i haven't been ignoring you, dude. i've just been depressed about being forced to wait on stuff and couldn't bear to see what everyone else was up to. i finally got my heads back last week and am ready to finish reaming the valve guides, assemble it, and go for a ride ( i hope, anyway).

i've also been busy building my garage too.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

no I know the feeling lifes been kickin my ass lately but I like the hell outa the garage idea and glad you r gaining on the knuck
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

well, i guess i'm overdue for an update for you folks.

long story short, i got the engine back together, reworked the foot controls, then made up a new rear fender/sissybar setup for inspections. got everything painted assembled and ready to go, just in time to go into the hospital for my second inguinal hernia surgery (the first one was so much fun last year, i thought i'd do it again :shock: ).

can you imagine how much it's killing me knowing that all i should need to do is go outside and kick the bike over until it fires, and not physically being able to do it for the next few weeks? how's *that* for irony? love it.

anyway, :banana-gotpics: yeah, i got some for ya'all.

take care,
-dan
Attachments
one knucklehead together - FINALLY!
one knucklehead together - FINALLY!
knuck1410191.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
adjusting the flat fender radius
adjusting the flat fender radius
knuck1410192.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
sissybar
sissybar
knuck1410193.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
closer
closer
knuck1410194.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
getting there
getting there
knuck1410195.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
ready to go - i think.
ready to go - i think.
knuck1410196.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

dam that looks nice . good luck with the surgery at least itll be a lot less stress knowing its all back together and in your hands
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Build an 'automatic kicker'. That's a gizmo that's been on my list for about 40 years now but never got around to doing it. Drag guys have been doing it for decades. Now that I'm a lot older the idea sounds better and better.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good Luck Dan.

The sissy bar looks nice. Good choice.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Really like how it's coming together, nice job on the sissy bar!
I had that same surgery 6 weeks ago, and it was also my 2nd time, but the first was 6 yrs ago....
Thought I'd be up and going in a week or two, HA !
Took me all of 4 weeks before I really could get going again, then I hurt my hand pulling
a turbo 400 trans out of my '58 Chevy truck, just getting over that one now !
My intentions are to NOT let being 72 slow me down, but nature has sneaky ways of doing it anyway !!

An 'automatic kicker', eh?
Howz that work, wind it up first??
At one point I just used 1 of my 3 sons as the "automatic kicker",
but they moved away....

Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

gww25 wrote:Build an 'automatic kicker'. That's a gizmo that's been on my list for about 40 years now but never got around to doing it. Drag guys have been doing it for decades. Now that I'm a lot older the idea sounds better and better.
Gary, i was rolling exactly the same idea around in my head. like a lot of the drag racers use, right? a wide set of rollers, then you get a friend on another bike next to you to spin ya?

right now it especially sounds like a good plan.

-dan
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

ain't that the truth! 3 years, and most of it was waiting on other people.

-dan
curt wrote:dam that looks nice . good luck with the surgery at least itll be a lot less stress knowing its all back together and in your hands
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

thanks! the round part is part i cut out of my shipping containers. ideologically tying my garage and bike together, so to speak.

-dan
hansgoudzwaard wrote:Good Luck Dan.

The sissy bar looks nice. Good choice.
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

i like that idea :clap: . my boy is only 9, but in a few years he'll be perfect for cold morning kicking sessions, LOL.

-dan
2Loose wrote:Really like how it's coming together, nice job on the sissy bar!
I had that same surgery 6 weeks ago, and it was also my 2nd time, but the first was 6 yrs ago....
Thought I'd be up and going in a week or two, HA !
Took me all of 4 weeks before I really could get going again, then I hurt my hand pulling
a turbo 400 trans out of my '58 Chevy truck, just getting over that one now !
My intentions are to NOT let being 72 slow me down, but nature has sneaky ways of doing it anyway !!

An 'automatic kicker', eh?
Howz that work, wind it up first??
At one point I just used 1 of my 3 sons as the "automatic kicker",
but they moved away....

Willy
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

whatever you do, give yourself time to heal. it would suck to get impatient and screw yourself up.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Project Build-Logs”