Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Dan's Knuckle build continued (10,000 ways to skin a cat)

Post by budoka »

great, thanks for the info. i'll check them out before i try to fire it up tomorrow. i want to know either way.

many thanks!
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

well folks, i got it fired up! took quite a few kicks, but i think the timing is still one tooth out. i had to retard the mag as far as it would go to get it to start, which is not where it liked to start when i had it running well before. just the opposite, actually. add to that the fact that i was getting a back fire every now and then out of the front pipe, and i think it's still just a tad high in timing. i'm gonna drop the mag back one tooth and see what it does anyway.

i was super happy just to hear it again, can't tell you how good it felt.

my overabundance of joy at getting the knuckle started was more than a little tempered by the fact that i got a phone call from one of my best friends today telling me that another one of our close friends died today. he found out he had bone cancer a couple of weeks ago when his arm snapped on his way to a convenience store. almost didn't even feel like going out to work on the knuck, but i know he'd be telling me to get my sorry butt out to the garage and get to kicking that bike over, so i did.

anyway, hopefully next time i'll be posting a video of it all dialed in and running sweet.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

budoka wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:11 am ....... but i know he'd be telling me to get my sorry butt out to the garage and get to kicking that bike over, so i did.

anyway, hopefully next time i'll be posting a video of it all dialed in and running sweet.

take care,
-dan
I've lost a few friends lately, so I definitely know how you feel, but yeah, get out there and kick that sucker over...
My mag was off also, had to play with the tooth setting a couple times before I got it where I wanted. I have one of these Morris timing boxes, they help a whole bunch...
Both of us seem to be having about the same number of issues getting these old bikes running right again, and I sure want to post a vid when I finally get it running the way I want, but not until then....
The 50 miles or so I have on it now felt great. Can't wait to get it "finished", and get some real miles on it....
I imagine you feel the same way...
Best to you...
Willy
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

Just to post up some news and hopefully wrap this up for now, I’ve been successfully riding the knuck and finished the break in period as well as made it to the first oil change after that without problems. It seems to be running better and better as all the components work in and find their happy spots. I actually just took it out for about an hour this afternoon to change the air in my head.

The first start of the day takes a while, but after that it’s one kick every time. I love this bike.

-dan
Attachments
96BFDCB4-DCBD-4A11-8EE6-46941E926B4F.jpeg
96BFDCB4-DCBD-4A11-8EE6-46941E926B4F.jpeg (161.82 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
smiley
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builder presently working on what will likely be my last project. Started the Chopper Builders Handbook site in 2003 and trying to get a better version of it up and running soon.

Post by smiley »

Great looking bike. It's looks like it's going fast even standing still.
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

Thanks Gary! It’s certainly got balls for a knuck. May not hang with a twinkie, but I think it’d surprise a stock evo.

-dan
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I am so glad for you . it looks kick ass
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Bike looks awesome man...hope it rides just as well
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Project Build-Logs”