Indian Mark's 1911 build

Use this area to post up any builds that aren’t bike related, but still probably interesting to the forum members. Use your own judgement on that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Indian Mark's 1911 build

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks, and wow, that's pretty cool.
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Have not Posted in a while, been on that stupid facebook, but I do check in, and I just went through this post and my hat is off to you, I have thought about making a slide for my .40cal, but to make the whole thing is amazing!
Keep up the good work! :clap:
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks Jim

Got my screw up laser welded, but haven't touched it otherwise.
Attachments
0334x.jpg
0334x.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I used this .... hope you don't mind .... I look at the Jesse James FB page where he show a red chunk of metal he beats on and old anvil or an old power hammer ... anf then shows a beautiful machined pistol that he ask $4000 for and it is a basic 1911 .... there is so much butt sucking it make you sick .... LOL I show them this and say with a little talent all things are possible .... they all think JJ makes these guns ... just like they thinks he makes all the bikes ..... SMFH
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

ButtSSSS.JPG
ButtSSSS.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 6842 times

Sorry to "HiJack here Mark, but that is the best laugh I've had in a while
. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

yona wrote:I used this .... hope you don't mind .... I look at the Jesse James FB page where he show a red chunk of metal he beats on and old anvil or an old power hammer ... anf then shows a beautiful machined pistol that he ask $4000 for and it is a basic 1911 .... there is so much butt sucking it make you sick .... LOL I show them this and say with a little talent all things are possible .... they all think JJ makes these guns ... just like they thinks he makes all the bikes ..... SMFH

Awesome. Thanks man!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Several months ago I did some finish machining on the internals of the slide. (Wish I took some pics.) I then got it to a buddy that has capability to edm an undercut for the barrel to fit into. He's been pretty busy at work and hopefully will get to it soon. The receiver is ready to be finish fit together. I'm planning to start that as soon as the weather turns to crap, which here in Michigan will be all to soon. When I get the slide back I'll do the finish machining on the outside contours.
Last winter I had the chance to spend some time with Todd Achten (forgot his name on the board here) and Ken V. (Blaksmith). They're both doing great.
Todd does cerakoting and will be doing my receiver. The pistol will eventually have a black receiver (frame) and a mirror polished slide.
These pics are the current state of affairs, and the CAD drawing of what it should look like.
Attachments
0553yy.jpg
0553yy.jpg (129.55 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
1911image.JPG
1911image.JPG (46.31 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

lookin good
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I saw this on another site, and thought of Mark's project.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/70-ote-off- ... bulge.html

Good luck Mark.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Wow! That's a serious piece of history. I appreciate the authors reverence for the weapon and it's former owner.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good to hear from you.

Things like the referenced story don't interest a lot of people , but hold my interest.

yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Mark, I brought some Monkey Pod wood back from Kauai for the grips on my Hi-Point .45 JHP ... I think that there is enough left to make some for a 1911 ... you get to that point let me know ... A guy on FB is making them with a cnc mill .... Thing Meister's Fabrications ... I used all most half for mine but there is enough for at leat 2 sets for a 1911 ... I wanted mirror cuts for mind and it took more to get them ... this guy makes a clip mod to use 1911 clips ... after polishing slide and,rails and treating all parts with a Tech line Coatings WSX ... It is really impressing me ...
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Wow, I don't know what Monkey Pod wood is but it sure sounds cool. Post a pic of yours.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Update: I have a friend/acquaintance that works for a customer of mine. They have a CNC EDM machine that can put a tricky undercut in my slide with ease. He's had my slide for over a year and hasn't had a chance to get to it yet. It's always "in the next week or two". I'm gonna grab it next time I'm there and do it myself. It's really not that hard. Hopefully I can start making progress on this project again soon...we'll see.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Any progress?
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.

Return to “Non-bike related builds”