Indian Mark's 1911 build

Use this area to post up any builds that aren’t bike related, but still probably interesting to the forum members. Use your own judgement on that.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Indian Mark's 1911 build

Post by Jeff L »

Man...that's lookin good.Here's hopin you're shooting Holes in Shit real soon. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Jeff L wrote:Man...that's lookin good.Here's hopin you're shooting Holes in Shit real soon. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

What he said...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Haha, Thanks guys!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

Last edited by Indian Mark on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

So I've finally had a chance to do some work on this again. I got the cutting from the top side done including a tricky undercut that required a severely altered cutter. All went well. At the moment it's standing up cutting a deep undercut from the looking down the barrel position. If I don't screw it up ( or even if I do) I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.
Attachments
CAM00459x.jpg
CAM00459x.jpg (123.42 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
CAM00462x.jpg
CAM00462x.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
CAM00464x.jpg
CAM00464x.jpg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

nice
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Interesting workholding. I've got some pcs coming up that I may need to do similar. I like this thread.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:Interesting workholding. I've got some pcs coming up that I may need to do similar. I like this thread.
On the standing up pic I clamped it against an angle plate and used guage blocks to space the 1x2x3 blocks out to match the piece. If I was ever to do another one (and I'm not) I'd make up better fixtures for holding.

Thanks Curt!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Couple pics. There's a funky undercut deep in the magazine slot for the trigger bow. Doesn't really show up in the pics.
Attachments
CAM00467x.jpg
CAM00467x.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
CAM00466x.jpg
CAM00466x.jpg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
CAM00465x.jpg
CAM00465x.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Planning to start on this end today. It'll take several set ups and edm work. I'll keep ya'll posted as I go.
Attachments
CAM00468x.jpg
CAM00468x.jpg (82.7 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

It is a sweet treet to see this progress. My father said in job shoping he could always underbid since everyone else included the price of fixturing. He developed a style of workholding using modular clamping. Oddly enough, even when he started doing volume, he would still setup modular workholding. When I got my cnc's, I was in 7th heaven with fixtures for the volume cast parts, but I still built them so I could tear down and repurpose.

Keep it coming!!!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:It is a sweet treet to see this progress. My father said in job shoping he could always underbid since everyone else included the price of fixturing. He developed a style of workholding using modular clamping. Oddly enough, even when he started doing volume, he would still setup modular workholding. When I got my cnc's, I was in 7th heaven with fixtures for the volume cast parts, but I still built them so I could tear down and repurpose.

Keep it coming!!!
I'm always fascinated to see what other guys come up with. Sometimes I'm pretty clever, usually I just come up with something that'll work and keep everything held square. I have been using gauge pins thru holes in the part for indicating it into location. That method seems to be working pretty good for keeping everything in proper location. The tolerances on this are pretty tight. I'm not past the point of totally f'ing it up, but so far so good.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

I admire the work you're putting into this. Holding it is one thing...squareing it, verifying, resetting your datum and checking again so you don't scrap all work to date is a chore that requires patience and "skill".

My father had been building an alum compression arm since the 60's. He used 2 plates to sandwich the part for clamp screws. All manual mills/drills. The fixture was so screwed up that I would have to shake the whole thing to remove the part. It was pure luck to get the part out. Overall machineing was 5 parts/day.

That was the 2nd part I fixtured for my mill. With a 4th axis rotab and a homemade tombstone, I could machine 3 sides then rotate 90*. I made 4 small pallets with a quage pin to locate one end, set screw fence on the other, and 3 small clamps to hold it. Part to part was 6 min.

The job I got now is real tricky since there are no flat edges to clamp onto. I may need to redisign for manufacturing just to hold and indicate it in. I'm designing some storage floorboards that will need to be patented to avoid suite from the other guys with a patent. I'm kinda hyped. The timing of your progress is perfect to amp me up for this.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:I admire the work you're putting into this. Holding it is one thing...squareing it, verifying, resetting your datum and checking again so you don't scrap all work to date is a chore that requires patience and "skill".

My father had been building an alum compression arm since the 60's. He used 2 plates to sandwich the part for clamp screws. All manual mills/drills. The fixture was so screwed up that I would have to shake the whole thing to remove the part. It was pure luck to get the part out. Overall machineing was 5 parts/day.

That was the 2nd part I fixtured for my mill. With a 4th axis rotab and a homemade tombstone, I could machine 3 sides then rotate 90*. I made 4 small pallets with a quage pin to locate one end, set screw fence on the other, and 3 small clamps to hold it. Part to part was 6 min.

The job I got now is real tricky since there are no flat edges to clamp onto. I may need to redisign for manufacturing just to hold and indicate it in. I'm designing some storage floorboards that will need to be patented to avoid suite from the other guys with a patent. I'm kinda hyped. The timing of your progress is perfect to amp me up for this.
That's awesome.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Great thread, I'm enjoying seeing how you clamp and fixture. Comments about using pins for indexing are good to hear,
gives me some insight about how the process goes.

Thanks...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Non-bike related builds”