Indian Mark's 1911 build

Use this area to post up any builds that aren’t bike related, but still probably interesting to the forum members. Use your own judgement on that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Indian Mark's 1911 build

Post by Indian Mark »

Oh, hey thanks guys. I was thinking this thing was getting to be to much of the same thing. Now that the receiver is basically done and I've started on the slide I'm pretty motivated to continue.

I had set some money a side to buy a motor for my chopper hoping to make some progress on it ( http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforu ... ?f=39&t=90 ). Unfortunately Uncle Sam decided they new better what to do with that money, so I had to send it to the IRS. The good news is that I'll focus on finishing this project instead.

Thanks for the extra motivation. It'll be a couple weeks at least before I can get some more done on it.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

gearhead1951 wrote:Hell yes I like it !! I've built my share of black powder guns , but seeing a 1911 machined from billet is a marvel !
I'd consider myself a halfway decent machinist, but I've got the latest and greatest equipment available to me. Building this has really got me amazed at the guys that first built them over a hundred years ago. Those guys must have really had some talent. And John Moses Browning was a genius.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I buddy of mine bought an ol' WWII shaper for cheap some years back. I told him he would never find a use for it. Some of the EDM work you did would have been perfect for the planer/shaper.

I must also agree...Those old guys and their old ways created some amasing designs that have yet to be improved. These days the trend is to over design everything. It's interesting to me to see how simple things can be without the knowledge of how complicated they can get.

And, your "overly modest" skills are creating something that I see as a family hierloom.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:And, your "overly modest" skills are creating something that I see as a family hierloom.
Kinda funny. I never thought of that. It started out as just wanting to learn more about how a 1911 works. Then I thought ,"hmmm, wonder if I could build one of those." My wife has a couple paintings that her late grandmother painted many years ago that are family heirlooms. I bet she didn't think about that at the time she was painting them.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

This is pretty cool. Might take a minute to load.
http://animagraffs.com/how-a-handgun-works-1911-45/
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Indian Mark wrote:This is pretty cool.
It is . Amazing to watch.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Sent you a PM.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I'm into it too.

Just haven't been spending as much time here as normal.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Finally had a chance to dabble with the slide. Cut the ejection port, misc lettering and the notches on the left side today. Hoping to put in the holes for the extractor and the firing pin tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.
Attachments
5824x.jpg
5824x.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
5803x.jpg
5803x.jpg (75.9 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
4492x.jpg
4492x.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

I F'd up. After careful analysis and a few tears I realized I programmed two cutters with the same tool number. Damn that's frustrating. The thing about a CNC machine is that when things go wrong they go wrong in a big way. This slide is now a total FUBAR. Shit happens.
Attachments
6336x.jpg
6336x.jpg (162.24 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
2536x.jpg
2536x.jpg (84.81 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

New slide.
Attachments
2552x.jpg
2552x.jpg (99.72 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

I spent most of yesterday working on this thing. I figured if I didn't get right on it I might just surrender in defeat. It'll probably be at least a few weeks before I can do more on it as I'm falling behind on my actual work.
Attachments
38558x.jpg
38558x.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

I finally got some time to get back to this thing. I cut the ejection port on the top, engraved the sides, then machined out what I could on the inside. Then I cut the slot. It's still to tight, but better than too loose. I'll get it back in the cnc and fit it to the receiver.

Then HAVOC struck!!
Attachments
2737x.jpg
2737x.jpg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

SONOFABITCH! I crashed the cnc again. Almost the same area. I screw up on a somewhat regular occasion, but I almost never crash the machine. I bought this particular Haas cnc brand new in 2000. I can only remember 4 times actually crashing metal into metal. TWICE on this friggin slide project!! UGGH very frustrating. Anyway, I think it can be fixed. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time I've fallen behind on my real work.
Attachments
2234x.jpg
2234x.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

Sorry to hear about the problems.

This is very interesting and fun to watch Please keep at it.

Seen this today thought you might have a go on something like it next?

Return to “Non-bike related builds”