Indian Mark's 1911 build

Use this area to post up any builds that aren’t bike related, but still probably interesting to the forum members. Use your own judgement on that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Indian Mark's 1911 build

Post by Indian Mark »

I made some slight progress on the receiver. Got the magazine slot finished. Magazine fits perfectly. I'm relieved about that because now I'm even more confident about the drawings.

I was planning on making the receiver (frame) then doing the slide, but now I think I'll work on them both as time permits. I picked up a couple pieces of 420 SS. If I screw up I'll have enough material to start over. The question is whether or not I'll tell you all. Probably, I'm dumb that way.

Couple photos with the 45 ACP. magazine in the new receiver. If you look close you can see the magazine in both photos.

I just picked up a ton of work so it looks like this project will be sitting for a while. At least it's started now.
Attachments
CAM00180x.jpg
CAM00180x.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
CAM00183x.jpg
CAM00183x.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
CAM00182x.jpg
CAM00182x.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
CAM00181x.jpg
CAM00181x.jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

So I picked up the internal parts for the 1911. Some of them I could make, but seems dumb to spend a day or two making up a trigger that only costs a few bucks. Yes, I do see the irony in that of course. Some might say spending months making pieces for a gun that I can easily buy complete (and already own)is kinda dumb, but I need to be realistic about this project. Gary gave some good advise in that you need to make some kind of progress every day. I know first hand that projects go stale after a while.
Attachments
guts.jpg
guts.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

You could have lied to me and told me you made those!!

I would have belived you!!!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Haha, well....I didn't make the springs.

My original plan was to make most of the parts. I started thinking that it would never get finished if I did that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Had some time today to get some work done on this. Decided to cnc the right side first, starting with all the holes. Once those were in correctly I cut the shape of the pistol. Tomorrow I'll flip it over and do the left side. Better pics tomorrow.

There is a small under cut on the right side and a larger one on the left. I made up a specialty cutter by grinding down a 1/4 hss endmill. This one is for the left side.

The scratches on the body aren't as bad as they look and will buff out later.
Attachments
CAM00246x.jpg
CAM00246x.jpg (112.52 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
CAM00248x.jpg
CAM00248x.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
CAM00249xx.jpg
CAM00249xx.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Looking good! Are you going to finish the stair-stepping by hand?
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:Looking good! Are you going to finish the stair-stepping by hand?
Heck no. the magical CNC.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Well the easy part is done. It looks like it's 80% done but in reality it's probably closer to 60%. I've still got several set ups on the CNC plus EDM work to do. I put in a couple trickey undercuts that went pretty well. I still could totally screw it up, but so far so good.

I squared up and ground the SS for the slide.

Real work next week so it could be quite a while before I get back to the frame (receiver)
Attachments
CAM00252x.jpg
CAM00252x.jpg (115.95 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
CAM00251x.jpg
CAM00251x.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I'm loving this project, nice to see the progress. And thats a pile of parts up above,
would take forever to make those. Good choice buying the kit.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks. Kinda seems like a transmission. Been using it for a long time but never studied exactly how it works or how to disassemble every single piece. Lots of good youtube videos on assembling a 1911.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Indian Mark wrote:Thanks. Kinda seems like a transmission. Been using it for a long time but never studied exactly how it works or how to disassemble every single piece. Lots of good youtube videos on assembling a 1911.
Yep, and a lot on completing an 80% lower receiver.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

That's nice. Beautiful work.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

railroad bob wrote:
Yep, and a lot on completing an 80% lower receiver.
Hmmm...hadn't thought about looking for that. Thanks.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

rudog wrote:That's nice. Beautiful work.
Thanks, We'll know for sure if the bullet comes out the way it's supposed to. At this point it's still a crap shoot. :confusion-shrug:
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Picked up a set of black pearl grips. My plan is to black anodize the receiver and polish the stainless steel slide.
It'll still be quite a while before I'm able to work on it again. I've got a ton of "real" work in the shop. Not complaining!
I also ordered the tap for the grip screw inserts.
Attachments
CAM00258x.jpg
CAM00258x.jpg (120.37 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

Return to “Non-bike related builds”