Indian Mark's 1911 build

Use this area to post up any builds that aren’t bike related, but still probably interesting to the forum members. Use your own judgement on that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Indian Mark's 1911 build

Post by Indian Mark »

railroad bob wrote:Great thread, I'm enjoying seeing how you clamp and fixture. Comments about using pins for indexing are good to hear,
gives me some insight about how the process goes.

Thanks...
I've got a full set of prints along with the CAD files. The prints show one of the holes as a main datum point that all the other dimensions come from. I've been checking everything to the prints as well as the CAD file as I go. So putting a gage pin in the hole and indicating the CNC position to it works pretty well keeping everything as close to the print dimensions as possible.

"Real" work has kept me pretty busy lately so I haven't had a chance to touch this thing in a while. Hoping to get back to it soon.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

So after months of not touching this project I started to get something done on it again. Not sure how much I'll get done, I've got a lot of "real work" to get done...and I've been pretty lazy lately. Just finished up a 2 month job that I'm seriously glad is done and gone.

Nothing was done on this from the side of the mainspring housing. (palm area) It has several crazy under cuts on multiple angles. It'll take 3 different set-ups and EDM work to get this end done. I'll keep you posted. It's on 17.5 degrees for this set of cuts.
Attachments
CAM00793x.jpg
CAM00793x.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

So I still have a bunch more to do, but I'm thinking I'm making progress. I'll have a couple hours to work on this thing tomorrow...I think.

I field stripped my commander size 1911 for comparison. (Para Expert Commander) It's also an aluminum receiver (frame).
Attachments
CAM00799x.jpg
CAM00799x.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
CAM00798x.jpg
CAM00798x.jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Since it was already apart I decided to see if the slide from the Para fit. Fits freaking perfect!!. I'm starting to think I might not totally F#@$ this thing up.
At this point of a project I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I start making better progress,...we'll see how that goes. :confusion-shrug: No guarantees.

The finished pistol will be the opposite colors. The receiver will be black and the slide will be polished stainless. I think. Unless I change my mind. The slide has been ground square, but nothing else done. So that project will take some time.

Also, the commander is 3/4 of an inch shorter than the Government size 1911, so that's why the slide contour looks a little funky on the new frame. But at least it's starting to actually look like a semi auto .45 ACP pistol.
Attachments
CAM00800x.jpg
CAM00800x.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
CAM00801x.jpg
CAM00801x.jpg (97.41 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
CAM00802x.jpg
CAM00802x.jpg (91.56 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

This is still an awesome project. Thanx!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Had to clear a cutter for another funky cut. This one on 14.75*.
Attachments
CAM00803x.jpg
CAM00803x.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
CAM00804x.jpg
CAM00804x.jpg (130.94 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Got the little slot in for the mainspring housing.

Pieces are starting to fit together.
Attachments
CAM00806x.jpg
CAM00806x.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
CAM00808x.jpg
CAM00808x.jpg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

There are a few areas that couldn't be machined by conventional milling. I imagine they broached these areas in the old days. I used an EDM (electrical discharge machine). Basically it amounts to using a carbon electrode to "burn" the areas out. Since it's pretty difficult to drill a square hole or mill a square corner, an edm machine is the way to go.
I pretty much hate doing edm work, but I got it done Yesterday (Friday).

The pics are putting in a funky radius area and the trigger slot.
Attachments
CAM00836x.jpg
CAM00836x.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
CAM00838x.jpg
CAM00838x.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
CAM00837x.jpg
CAM00837x.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Today I got in and finished up the machining on the receiver. WOOHOO! It's still got a long way to go but the pieces are fitting pretty nicely so far.

Next up, the slide. Not sure when I'll start it, but it probably won't be for a while.
Attachments
CAM00842x.jpg
CAM00842x.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
CAM00841x.jpg
CAM00841x.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
CAM00840x.jpg
CAM00840x.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
CAM00844wx.jpg
CAM00844wx.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

So I'm not sure how much interest there is in this project (besides Rudog, and probably Nathan), but I'll post pics all the way thru. I'm planning on doing a youtube video when I actually get to the point of firing this thing. I won't bother posting actual machining pics from here out. They pretty much all look the same anyway.

I started the slide yesterday. It's 420 stainless. I decided to do the ends first, then all the machining on the center where the barrel and action is, last the outside top. We'll see how it goes.

It'll sit for a while again while I do actual real work.
Attachments
CAM00858x.jpg
CAM00858x.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im likeing it
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I have been checking in.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I won't bother posting actual machining pics from here out. They pretty much all look the same anyway.
I find your take on setups interesting every time.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Hell yes I like it !! I've built my share of black powder guns , but seeing a 1911 machined from billet is a marvel !

Return to “Non-bike related builds”