Star

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
neale
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in choppers from the '70's when I was in high school, reading custom chopper mag etc, I have never had or built a chopper to date, I'm trying to learn, I am acquiring equipment (tube bender, oxy torch etc) and am trying to get started building up the skills and information I need to get started on building a chopper.
My current bike is a Yamaha XV1000, I would class it as a mild custom rather than a chopper, a lot of the useless (to me) bits have been removed and I am trying to modify and chop a few more things off to get it to a longer, lower, leaner machine with better performance (custom shortened rear shocks, refabricate forward controls and drag bars, try and get raked cups working on it etc), but IMHO it doesn't have the right type of frame to build a "proper" chopper on, so I am looking for a more suitable donor bike for the project.

Re: Star

Post by neale »

You don't see the world like most folk, do ya? ';^)

Some interesting (and great) ideas in the direction you're taking this, almost turning into an addictive soap where we anxiously await the next episode to see how it turns out, NOW I'm hanging out for the perimeter brake episode! ;^)

Once again, great work.
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Post by spidr »

No, I dont think I do. But then again I dont understand how most people think, so I cant say for sure.........

I know that I stare at something, and try to figure out how to repurpose it. Or swap it for something that doesnt belong there. And if I have an idea, I'm never convinced it wont work until I try it. I've been lucky so far on the bike, almost everything went according to plan. Not always the case, but you should see my shop. Stacks of ideas, some worked, some didnt, but I always learn something.
neale
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in choppers from the '70's when I was in high school, reading custom chopper mag etc, I have never had or built a chopper to date, I'm trying to learn, I am acquiring equipment (tube bender, oxy torch etc) and am trying to get started building up the skills and information I need to get started on building a chopper.
My current bike is a Yamaha XV1000, I would class it as a mild custom rather than a chopper, a lot of the useless (to me) bits have been removed and I am trying to modify and chop a few more things off to get it to a longer, lower, leaner machine with better performance (custom shortened rear shocks, refabricate forward controls and drag bars, try and get raked cups working on it etc), but IMHO it doesn't have the right type of frame to build a "proper" chopper on, so I am looking for a more suitable donor bike for the project.

Post by neale »

Well those of us who like the ideas that you show are grateful, shows what you can do with the inclination and tools to have a go at it.

Good that your kids have an interest as well, doubt that they'll turn out as your average mall rats either.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

:text-+1:
neale wrote:Well those of us who like the ideas that you show are grateful, shows what you can do with the inclination and tools to have a go at it.

Good that your kids have an interest as well, doubt that they'll turn out as your average mall rats either.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Post by spidr »

Recentered the wheel, and mocked up the brake. Getting tight back there.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Better pics of how it goes together. Clearances are better now for the caliper too. Once the caliper is mounted I can check one more thing off the list.
Made myself a new exhaust heat shield out of stainless too.

Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

I would make the brake ring out of Stainless?

Killer Man
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

It will be. Thats 1/8 mild steel because I had it around. Going to do it out of 3/16 stainless, but have it waterjet so I dont have to drill 90 or so holes. I dont trust my plasma table to be accurate enough, This piece is too big foor my lathe, so I cant true it up. I've got some time yet before I need it, but this lets me build all the brackets.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Don't mount the "real " disc like that , the holes need to be slotted to allow for how much that disc will "grow" when it gets hot !
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Yeah, allready figured that too, but I needed to make sure everything was true and even first.
Biggest problem is just conveying what I'm thinking to guys that arent in my head.........Be thankful. Its a mess inside here.........
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Lord , don't I know it ! Trying to explain a mechanical movement to someone without being able to actually SHOW them anything can be frustrating !
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

My hands still still messed up, so I made the girl do work today. She laid it out, ran the beadroller, and even welded it up. All I had to do was run the grinder.

neale
NewB

Post by neale »

You've got a handy crew there! Shit, she's got more skills than me at 1/4 my age ;^)
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Dangerouslookingwheel
Dangerouslookingwheel
image.jpg (250.91 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Great work, tell them we are impressed.

This is for your idea bank.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”