Star

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Re: Star

Post by spidr »

Thanks Budoka. With very few exceptions, If I can make it, I'm not buying it.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

i hear ya buddy, i hear ya. that was the goal with my chop too. why buy something when you can have something tailor made to fit you, by you, FOR you.

keep at it (as if i had to tell ya *that*)!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Post by spidr »

Seems to be a dying breed that thinks that way.

I've actually got my kids lathing some aluminum today, couldnt bear to put a bought cap on the gas tank, so we drew one up similar to whats available, but smaller, and shes on it allready.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Started on the new gas cap.

railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

those style caps are usually not vented. Will that be a problem?
I know when my cap vent was plugged, I had a hard time getting fuel to the carb. Took me hours to figure out what was wrong.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Got a vent coming for it. That cap is built from scratch, so its exactly what I want.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Perfect man, you already got it covered.

Nice bikes you're building, I like the looks, and the hand made parts.
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

How do you decide on the profile of the arms? Or is there no magic number.
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Profile of the arms for what?
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Done with the tank for a while.........On to something else.

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

man, i dig that gas cap. you've definitely got some brain cells firing in sync on that one.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Really goes with the style of the tank...
TANSTAAFL
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

After a long debate I decided to do something I've been thinking about for a while now.

I HATE the rear spoked rim. I thought about getting an allow silverado rim, but wanted to do a car rim, and go darkside........So hell with it.

Pulled everything apart, bored some steel for the bearings, machined a mount for the splined plate, and dummied it up. Tomorrow I'm going to make a wheel mount flange, and mountthe rotor, stuffing it behind the wheel to leave the front exposed, just need to figure out how to hang the caliper.
The original plan was for an alloy rim, but the steelie is growing on me the more I look at it.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Going tire and wheel shopping tomorrow, but it works. measured upand going to try to fit a 215/60r15, if not its getting a 205/60r15.
Thinking about using a perimeter brake setup, need to see what stuffs where nicely.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

We had no power, but did have a chance to mock up the rear tire. Need to step down one size, but it looks good.
Next up is too recenter the rim and build a perimeter brake with the stock caliper.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”