Mini bike project build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Mini bike project build

Post by jonester123 »

Ordering plans from ebay to build mini bikes, motor will be a 6.5 horsepower engine. Just ordered 1" 120 wall tubing for frame build, pics coming soon. :D
64pan
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 56 year old ex-Navy F4 mech from the corn & soybean fields of Illinois, the Navy got me to socal and spoiled me with the weather so I had to stay. I was riding 2 wheels from age ten starting with a Sears mini-bike, then another, next a '72 Aeromachi X-90, '74 Honda XL-125, '77 Superglide, '68 FLH Dresser (I didn't leave it a dresser for long), currently a '64 Duo-Glide I purchased as a basket in 2003. I am not a "builder" though I once "assembled" my '68 shovel engine/trans/misc. into a Paughco rigid frame with bolt-on stuff to fill the gaps, rode it for over 20 years, including several 4000-something mile rides home & back from California. I have always worked on my own bikes except for the few times when I needed machine work. Now that I am older and dumber than I ever thought I would be, but with my youngest son nearly grown, I now have a little time to try to learn to weld better; would like to learn machine work. I found this site looking for tube bender plans, and looked around to see a ton of great information you have assembled here. Thanks for having me.

Re: Mini bike project build

Post by 64pan »

That's great! One mini biker to another...
Looks like I am kind of following you, reading your bender thread and now the mini bike.
Can you say what plans you are getting? I searched a long time before I stumbled across some mini bike plans that were
pretty darn good and totally free, too.
I'd be happy to send you a copy if you are interested. The plans kinda look like the ones an old NewJersey company I can't remember the name of made, in the '60s and '70s.
I have a neighbor who just scored one cheap which was made round 1969 I think, in all original condition, this really sickly green color with a white seat and pegs and grips. I got to tune it up and replace the magneto for her and it was a kick in the butt to ride. I had forgotten how small those were, but then I was a lot smaller then, too...
Good luck with the project and I'll be checking it out. :popcorn:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i saw a couple kids at a swap meet once that had a couple of old school mini bikes they cut em up and raked them way out and had super long forks on em everyone loved em always wanted to build one
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hey Curt, the plans I am getting are the old 60 style minibikes, also one chopper minibike plan. If you can please email me your minibike plans and when I get mine from ebay I will send them to you.
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Here is a pic of the kind of mini bikes I want to build :D
Attachments
IMG_0022_3 mini bike.jpg
IMG_0022_3 mini bike.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 6707 times
64pan
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 56 year old ex-Navy F4 mech from the corn & soybean fields of Illinois, the Navy got me to socal and spoiled me with the weather so I had to stay. I was riding 2 wheels from age ten starting with a Sears mini-bike, then another, next a '72 Aeromachi X-90, '74 Honda XL-125, '77 Superglide, '68 FLH Dresser (I didn't leave it a dresser for long), currently a '64 Duo-Glide I purchased as a basket in 2003. I am not a "builder" though I once "assembled" my '68 shovel engine/trans/misc. into a Paughco rigid frame with bolt-on stuff to fill the gaps, rode it for over 20 years, including several 4000-something mile rides home & back from California. I have always worked on my own bikes except for the few times when I needed machine work. Now that I am older and dumber than I ever thought I would be, but with my youngest son nearly grown, I now have a little time to try to learn to weld better; would like to learn machine work. I found this site looking for tube bender plans, and looked around to see a ton of great information you have assembled here. Thanks for having me.

Post by 64pan »

I sent you a pm. My name is Mike, nice meting ya.
Yep, that's pretty sweet. I'll see if I have any pics of my first one...
:mrgreen:
Well whataya know!
1970 Sears Wish Book 161-2.jpg
1970 Sears Wish Book 161-2.jpg (236.95 KiB) Viewed 6706 times
I remember that same ad in the Sears Wishbook from 1970. I was so happy to see that chrome shiney beauty under the Christmas tree and me and my brothers were outside in the snow riding it within a second or two.
Those were the days...
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Got tubing material and all plates to build frame and all mounts on mini bike. Getting ready to measure and bend up tubing for frame. :D
Attachments
100_1887_zpsbfb0dd0c mini bike materials2.jpg
100_1887_zpsbfb0dd0c mini bike materials2.jpg (229.42 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
100_1885_zps2e55a0db mini bike materials.jpg
100_1885_zps2e55a0db mini bike materials.jpg (224.17 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
64pan
NewB

Post by 64pan »

That's looking great. I haven't gotten to that stage yet, but looking forward to seeing your progress.
What are you using to cut the plate with?
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

I use my grinder with cutting disks to cut the smaller plates, got the trees cut out now and the axle plate mounts. Drilling out the holes in tree plates and axle plates. Two more bends to finish frame tubing, then start welding frame together. :D
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

More progress, got frame tubing bending done on frame build and welded together. Cut up frame spacing tubing, almost ready to weld them in place. Not sure if I am happy with frame design , we will see when I get engine in frame. :D
Attachments
100_1897_zps88fb1012 mini bike frame build.jpg
100_1897_zps88fb1012 mini bike frame build.jpg (225.3 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Frame being changed to different design, my 6.5 horsepower engine would not fit in frame to tall, so welding new top tubing higher and at another angle. Pics coming soon. :D
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Mini bike frame re fabrication, had to change upper tubing height and angle to fit my 6.5 horsepower engine. :D
Attachments
100_1904_zpsb2b5ee3e mini bike frame fabrication..jpg
100_1904_zpsb2b5ee3e mini bike frame fabrication..jpg (211.27 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
64pan
NewB

Post by 64pan »

Heck yeah, that looks a lot better already. Now all ya need is a round tube swing arm.
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Todays fun, been fabricating rear axle mount brackets for mini bike. Going to weld in some plate material in between when I finish drilling out axle holes. :clap:
Attachments
100_1909_zpsd2fb5967 mini bike rear axle mount fabrication..jpg
100_1909_zpsd2fb5967 mini bike rear axle mount fabrication..jpg (183.15 KiB) Viewed 6644 times
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Been working on tree and handle bars fabrication. :D
Attachments
100_1935_zps0c6b0979 mini bike tree and bars fabrication.jpg
100_1935_zps0c6b0979 mini bike tree and bars fabrication.jpg (182.85 KiB) Viewed 6630 times

Return to “Project Build-Logs”