Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I know that the shaft was fubar but this is ridiculous I'm into it .060 and its barely starting to cut on the exhaust turbine side.
Finaly cleaned up bout .030 before the 10mm I was shooting for. Definitely had me worried.
Dusty
Last edited by Dusty-Dave on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Finally got the rest of the bearings and a few minutes for me. So I washed everything up and dropped three bearings into the belt side a short spring then a final bearing on the compressor side. Everything felt so good that I bolted up the inner volute cover without pictures oops.
Everything still felt good so I screwed the impeller on.
After the Impeller was loctited and torqued the thrust was spot on so I installed the outer volute cover.
Then cuz it was handy I gave it a coat of BBQ Metallic Black.
]Image
That's all on the blower till I get a place to put it built.
Dusty
Last edited by Dusty-Dave on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

sharp! ain't it nice when ya get a few minutes to use for own project? keep on rollin'!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got thru welding and soda blasting these trans cases today. So I decided to run them thru the dishwasher after Carol was in the back bedroom. Dammit she let me know that I wasn't fooling anybody she could smell the oil washing out of the pores in the aluminum. Since I'm already in the doghouse, I think I'll run it again just to be sure.
Dusty
Last edited by Dusty-Dave on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Started putting the first trans together today.Got ready to attach the sprocket and I'm out of nuts. They might be a tiny bit special at 1 3/16" 24tpi and around a 1/4" thick.Checked online and $17.00 each plus $8 for shipping seems like the best price unless I do a large order from eastern. So I took a grade 8 1" nut that was well rusted and cut some 1 3/16"x24 threads.
Checking the fit on the sprocket driver gear.
Parting off with the only part off tool that is narrow enough to let me get three nuts.
In place and rattle wrench tight.
Dusty
Last edited by Dusty-Dave on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Since I am only planing to start it with a hand held starter motor. I am going to need a pair of kickstart ratchets that pull when the piece nearest you is rotated to the right and slips when turned to the left. Which is backwards to anything I have. Most any pair of ratchets that were for a 250 or larger should be adaptable. Anybody got anything in their junk? Or even a suggestion of sumptin that would be cheap?  If I have to I can make a pair but that means I have to either work in prehard or harden them.

Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Bought a closeout rebuilt starter for some jap car in fleebay for $14.59 to make my starter out of.

Turned the nose cone off and machined a bearing holder to slide into what's left of the nose come. Damn thing ran backwards so I had to rotate the brushes a quarter turn.

Next time I get the desire to work with something harder than a carbide tool I'll make this ratchet fit the starter and the one just like it that's under the starter to make it set kinda level fit the transmission shaft.

I'm trying out Postimg.org since everybody is having troubles with photobucket.

Dusty
Last edited by Dusty-Dave on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got tired of dreading turning the splines out of those ratchets so I started today. No way I was gonna be able to take an interrupted, cut tool steel wont touch it and a carbide insert wont handle that kind of interruption. So I dug the tool post grinder out and reached in with a 4mm diamond .

Left a little of the spline on this one to hold it straight.

Ground then filed (diamond file) so it would engage the flats.

Dusty
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

getting into the down and dirty of it eh? that's the stuff i like (at least the first time, LOL).

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

man dude...some real cool shit.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The top of that cylinder With the dreaded crack from the valve seat to the bore.
The seats don't look so good either
The lady at the garage sale thought she was selling a $10.00 pizza and sandwich oven. But with $7.00 of scrap stainless from the scrap yard to raise the top 6" its a $17.00 kiln.
Changed back to fairly soft cast iron repair powder for the crack.
Started with a gentile long feather flame to heat the whole top.
Why I don't wrap the asbestos over the ports!
Closing the crack
Starting the seats with the RC40 powder
Starting to flow.
Backing off and gently reducing the flame and heating the whole top.
The preheated ceramic tile still broke when I put it on the top.
That's all untill the hardened seat stones I ordered get here, the ruby general purpose 35 degree stones I have wont touch it.
Dusty
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I have resurfaced the super hard vlv seats in a US submarines steam throttle chest with a mild steel mandrel and diamond dust vlv lapping compound !
Bolted a jig to the top of the chest to hold the mandrel in proper alignment and turned it with a pneumatic drill motor !
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

amazing how clean those parts get coming from the dishwasher . i use high heat and sanitizing mode . the real trick is to know when she is going to be gone for at least 4hours .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

Post by friday »

great to see cylinder getting new life . theres a tonne of those needing the same treatment
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The bolt lugs had pulled almost .010 toward the center in only 81 years. The weld smoothed into a nicart of the gasket surface.
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”