Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post by gearhead1951 »

Take a look at http://www.flashbackfab.com or http://www.landstromsfoundry.com ! I think landstrom does use "wheelium" for his cases and sidevalve heads !
Last edited by gearhead1951 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Does anyone have some good useable Ironhead Sporty wrist pins they would like to donate? I will eventually need 4 but need two fairly soon.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Finally got the oil pump I wanted a $12.00 steal from fleebay. No body else bid. It's from a Buel and I will narrow the feed pump so that it displaces about the same as the Iron Indian oil pump. Since the Indian pump supplies a shot of oil every 7 revolutions which is fine for normal service, but not for blown fuel WFO. At high rpms the massive shot of oil from the plunger pump can cause the rod rollers to lock up and slide briefly. This gear rotor pump will have a fairly even supply and they don't require terribly precise machine work.and has a massive return rotor.
Dusty
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

Post by friday »

Great stuff !

wish I read this earlier . I been thinking the same thing about alternative pump on early scout instead of 33 pump , apart from being high dollar , gotta be some thing better .

whats the plan ? the 741 cam shaft = .620" , does that line up ?

be watching this with interest..............
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I will either run a late Chief shaft in the front cam or modify the existing shaft to have a end like a Chief with a aluminum pump. Then I'll make a housing for the return pump and adapt it to fasten to the side of the cam cover. I'll mount a reluctor trigger to the other cam and use it to trigger a pair of chrysler reluctors. the rules say I can have solid state ignition al long as the timing is controlled mechanically.

If you are just building a street bike or even a fairly hot stroker the 39 or later iron pump would be a good choice all you need is a shaft for the front cam a cam cover for the iron pump and an iron pump with distributor.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I need a reasonably priced source for 2" and 6" serpentine pulleys at least 2 of each. They don't need to be exactly 2" and 6" as long as they are close to 1 to 3 ratio. this should get the blower drive into the 1 to 9 ratio I plan to start with.Any info would be appreciated.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Found one from the power steering pump a Chevy pickup for the big one GM # 12605677 # on pulley 10085755 88 through 2013 is supposed to work.. If anybody has any of these laying around I could sure use them. Would prefer the spoked style but can drill the solid ones.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Best score to date a square base 40-48 front cylinder for only $415.00 I had the sniper set to $900.00 so Im tickled. And they threw in the grass, rust and fake OD paint for free.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Several of the cylinders I am trying to save have the valve seats cut way too deep since there isn't really room to cut and press seats (they always break if you do) I am going to spray weld the seats back up to reasonable heights. I am thinking 840 powder which is about rockwell 40 .I have some 850 powder that is rockwell 60 or so but I am a little leary of going that hard. Any thoughts?
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got a fairly rare clutch basket today. 1934 only with all three rows of teeth all other Scout clutches don't have the center row of teeth so the mag drive gear has somewhere to go.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

It's time to pick a name. Here is a list of names from the Native Language Institute that I haven't used yet. The Cherokee names could be printed in Cherokee. But I think grandma would prefer Apache.

Dabínik'eh (pronounced dah-bee-neek-eh) means "free will" or "free spirit" in Apache

In Cherokee, you could use the name Gajinula (pronounced gah-jee-noo-lah) which means "swift." (It's also spelled Gatsinula in English.)

Unole (pronounced oo-noh-lay) is the Cherokee word for "wind."

Adanvdo (pronounced ah-dah-nuh-doh) means "spirit" in Cherokee, and would make a good motorcycle name. It's often spelled Adanado or Adanudo in English.

Dohasah (pronounced doe-hah-sah), which means 'swift' in Western Apache.

Daian (pronounced die-ahn) means 'first' in Western Apache. Perhaps that could bring you luck in the race. (The actual word for "victory" is longer than you were looking for, "dagonołdeeł.")

Idinii (pronounced ee-dee-nee) is Western Apache for "thunder.

Denzhone (pronounced den-zhoh-neh) is a Western Apache word for "beautiful." The "zh" in it is pronounced like the "ge" at the end of "garage."
I'm open to other suggestions just had these left over.
Dusty
funfool
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Howdy, I use to ride bikes and fix them, build them, cut them up and put them together again.
I dunno life comes along, promotions and longer hours at work kids .... then one day I wake up, and I just have to build another bike and start riding again.
I am looking for a site just like this to gain knowledge, look at the builds ...loving the way the board index is laid out. I have 90% of the tools I need, mill lathe etc... just need to refresh.

Post by funfool »

Not sure if I can help with the aluminium, I do have some 4"x4", 1"x6", 4"round and several drop offs.
Let me know if you need something.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Definitely need some of the 4" round likt to have a foot but 6" would do. If you have a piece or two of the 1"X6" at least 6"long I could use that also.
thanks
Dusty
funfool
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Howdy, I use to ride bikes and fix them, build them, cut them up and put them together again.
I dunno life comes along, promotions and longer hours at work kids .... then one day I wake up, and I just have to build another bike and start riding again.
I am looking for a site just like this to gain knowledge, look at the builds ...loving the way the board index is laid out. I have 90% of the tools I need, mill lathe etc... just need to refresh.

Post by funfool »

Yes I have it. Do you have any trips to ABQ on your agenda?
They are in 4' chunks and can cut 12" off of each.

Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Yep! I'll pm you.
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”