Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post by Dusty-Dave »

This madness started last year when Tom who is a member of our Friday gear head lunch group and who goes to Bonneville most every year to either race or officiate tossed me a copy of last years SCTA rule book and asked if I thought there was a class I thought I could be competitive in. He had underlined a few that he thought I might be interested in considering that most of my bikes are Indians

After reading and rereading the rules book I finally decided this spring that a Bonneville effort would be a good way to spend the next few years of My retirement. After much discussion I am maybe positive that I want to build an AVBF A being a special construction frame which will allow me to get the head stock as low as possible with the 16" rims I chose. The rules allow as small as 15" rims but the cost and availability of tires and rims and the fact that I had a new w speed rated 16" tire made me settle on 16 inches. V is vintage engine produced before 1956 with a 33.33% size advantage given to flatheads. B is blown and F is fuel. Right now the plan is to run Nitrous oxide and alcohol through fogers because of a flatheads notoriously poor breathing even if blown. I started looking for parts this spring Got a pair of 16" 250 Ninga rims and fork and today I won a set of 37 Sport Scout cases. So it will be a 1937 Sport Scout.

Still haven't picked a displacement a 45" stock displacement Scout would run in 500 cc the ABVF record is 73.903 but the 500 cc AVF record is 111.839 so the blown speed should go way up soon and a 57" stroker would run in 650 No record for ABVF but AVF is 144.531. Leaving it a 45 would give me lots more room for piston squirters but would require a pair of std. bore cylinders but I just prefer 57 inchers and the cylinders could be way oversize per the rules.

Main thing I need to find next is a pair of cylinders I would really like to buy new ones but the rules require original cases and cylinders or exact reproductions and only ones I can find so far say improved ports and the rules committee says not no but hell no. I hear that there are exact repros but can’t find anyone selling one that will offer any documentation and at $1500.00 to $2000.00 I sure don’t want a pair of paper weights.

I’ve been promising to start writing this up for a while but having the cases and being able to assign a year to the build finally got me moving. Stay tuned
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post by Jeff L »

I will definately be following this.Always loved the go fast World of the Flats.Really would like to go there one Day.Much success to you Brother Man.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Contact Rocky at the Iron Wigwam , He is also campaigning an Indian streamliner at the flats and might be able to help !
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Posted Today, 06:02 PM
Got my cases today they are as advertised. Need lots of cleaning. a small weld and a custom sized rocker arm pivot.

Definitely a 37 high performance Scout with a Magneto and the y cylinders and manifold.

Image[/url][/img]

Will need a small weld where the cylinder base mates.
Image[/url][/img]

Need to extract one broken bolt
Image[/URL][/img]

All in all a great pair for being 77 years old.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got the flywheels Truett & Osborn made special for this bike this morning. They are stock stroke with rod bores to take a Sportster rod pin and rods.I have decided that it's going to be a blown fuel 45 so it will run in 500cc AVBF .Still haven't found a front cylinder yet but have a very good rear now.
Dusty

Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Looking good Dusty. Watching this one.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
Artie
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi, bike restorer of 25 years, hoping to step up with an outside the box (for me) build and seeking inspiration, tech assist and bling. Based in Australia I'm a builder of parts as we have few suppliers of non standard parts.

Post by Artie »

I think you sound a bit like Burt Monro..... Bonneville and an old Indian......

Good luck and give 'em hell!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Fastest_Indian
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Dam near $500.00 worth of internal engine parts. Soon as I get a set of early Sporty rods the lower end can go together.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Has anyone here had any experience on ruining ceramic ball with steel race bearings? I'm thinking about them for wheel bearings, transmission bearings, supercharger bearings and the alternator bearings. Not gonna run them on the mains in this incarnation. They are pricey as hell but supposed to turn easier and last longer.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Crazy Cats at S&S sent me this super E on the house to help with the Bonneville effort a week or so back.
After I got the free carb from S&S I was feeling high as a kite so I wrote a begging for parts letter to Todd at Jerry Greer's Indian Engineering. Low and behold Shauna sent me one of their excellent clutch kits.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Do we gots any structural engineer types here? I need to know what type of aluminum to buy to machine the heads from. I'm thinking 6061 because of the cost but if there is a real reason to spend more it has to happen.
Dusty
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Cool stuff...
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Found a pair of cases that are repairable in my junk so the backup engine will be a 1936.
Dusty
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Melt down a couple of alloy wheels and CAST your heads ! I aint sure of the content of alloy in car wheels but if it is strong enuff to be safe to drive a ton or more of automobile on it should hold up to being a cylinder head !!

Go to www.alloyavenue.com if you need help !!
:D :auto-dirtbike: :snooty: :popcorn: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The concisus seems to be that 6061 would do but 7075 would be better. I think that maybe I have a lead on some cutoffs at scrap prices. They are going to be 7X8.125X3 so not easy to find. I asked about wheels and was told that wasn't a suitable alloy for heads.
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”