1960 FL 'Local Boy'

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

1960 FL 'Local Boy'

Post by 2Loose »

This is a trial run with some new software, wanted to post some of the early stuff on this project, but didn't get it ready, so will have to add it later.

The story is I have a lot of panhead parts hanging around in my shop and storage shed, and now that I'm retired from the daily work schedule, can see what I can do with this.

The boys here in Hawaii in the 60's and 70's evolved a style for their knucks, flatties and pans called 'Local Boy', and I've decided to go ahead and build one.

Here's one example

Anyway, I have a cherry set of recently rebuilt '60FL cases, and a pretty full set of internals out of a low mileage '59FL, plus the '59 jugs and heads.

Decided to split the wheels apart, see what the rod bearings and crank pin look like....

The crank pin looks great, got the micrometers out and it measures smooth and stock, no wear that I can find.

The rods, however, mic'd out a bit strange, the races were undersize, what the heck???

So went and mic'd a whole bunch of the rod bearings, and guess what, they are a set of one thou undersize bearings, never heard of that before!!

Considering the undersized bearings, the rods were worn slightly out of acceptable range, and the vertical wear was half a thou more then the side to side wear, so time to hone them.

I got a set of standard size bearings and honed the rods up to standard spec, it all fits like it should now.

More later...
Aloha,
Willy
PS:
If you want, take a peek at my new software's web page I just put together this morning. It's a work in progress, but you'll get the idea
Willy's 60 FL Project Page

Added an "early page" too....
Some Pix From When We Started Thinking About This...
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 1960 FL 'Local Boy'

Post by 2Loose »

Added quite a bit to my personal project page:
Willy's 60FL page

Here's a few things:
Using a dial indicator to check out rod side to side clearance:

The galling on the pinion shaft, wonder what caused this???

More later,
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

A couple of pix from the"Early Page", there are more pix there....

The frame I want to use, a '59 drop seat swing arm. Mostly "unmolested", need to open up the seat post for a pogo stick.

Stacked the jugs and heads on the '60 cases, and put them and the 4 speed in the frame, my wife says I get excited way too easy, I tell 'er "hey, with me it's bikes, not women, I'm "true to you".....
But I sure am "easy" for the old bikes....

Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I've had this VL springer hanging on my shop wall forever,
I had figured it was beyond repair, but am reconsidering that,
Will take it apart, sand blast it, and take a close look at what I've got here....

It's pretty rusty, thin in places, that scares me....
There's parts missing, don't know if I can find replacements or not,
Might have to machine something custom for the top piece....

One of the springer legs has been welded, will have to cut that open
and take a close look at it....
This is a long term project, it will take awhile....
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

may take a while, but i can tell you're having fun. i'll be looking forward to watching this one, too!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “Project Build-Logs”