1959 FL "Hot Rod"

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

1959 FL "Hot Rod"

Post by 2Loose »

Before we get into the project itself, I've got a story I have to tell ya first! I've lived here on the island of Maui since '67, when I moved here with a somewhat custom '63 BSA Lightning. But I quickly got into the HD's over here, where I've had two panheads since '68 and '69......

I just got the title squared awaya couple years ago on my #2 panhead, the '59. The #1 pan is the '62 chop I've been riding "on and off", (mostly "off" lately....) since '68, when I finished a chop job on it. Then in '75 shipped it over and did my first long mainland ride (8,000 miles/6 weeks) on it (west coast ocean side roads mostly, LA up to Canada, all around Western Canada and across to great lakes, down to visit HD factory in Milwaukee, to Nashville, head back West, Salt Lake, Vegas, etc etc). The chop sits and waits now for me to finish 'er up with a rebuilt tranny and motor, new or respoked wheels, rebuilt front legs (the old 18" over wide glides were hanging up, didn't slide no more), it'll get there eventually........

#2 is a '59 FL that I got as a basket case in '69, but I put it together and had it sitting around for a coupla years, had it running once, used the plates off the '62, as I did not have title for it. Then I tore it down and started work on the cases to build up a drag racer blown 93" motor. Dropped that idea when it became obvious that the stock '59 cases were probably gonna get blown apart that way.

A couple years ago I finally ran down the last registered owner of that VIN, through a good friend of mine that worked at the local DMV. The last reg. owner it turned out is still alive, an old Hawaiian man named Joseph, and it turned out his sons are good buddies of one of the guys I have been riding with for the last 40+ years.....

Anyway, my old riding buddy, George, after I tell him the story, tells me he knows Joe Sr and his sons, and gets in touch with Joe Sr. Joe agrees to help me out getting the title squared away (I pay the fees, fines, etc), and he gets replacement owner's papers for that '59. Joe remembers selling it as a basket case to a guy, who sold it to another guy, who sold it to ???, 'cause at that point it got lost, he didn't even know the name of the guy I bought it from. I didn't worry about the title back then, as I was just going to use it for parts for my '62, and build the blown 93" race motor. Later I got interested in putting it back on the road, but the lack of title was a problem! So the pile of parts sat all these years in the back of my shop under a couple of blankets and lots of boxes of other parts. hidden away......

So now with help from George and Joe, I finally get all the papers in order for Joe, and he signs off on them, and we transfer the title to me, took about a year for all this to happen, but I finally got the legal ownership papers for the '59 a couple years ago in my name! Now I gotta find the energy and the time (I'm 72.....) to put both pans back on the road in good shape! I have enough parts to make a nice lookin' little lightweight hot rod bar hopper out of the '59, and keep the '62 as the old rigid stretch it always was.....

I couldn't believe my luck on this one, it usually doesn't work out that well for me on most things....>>

Started one of my new private web pages for the '59 project, there were others over the last couple of years, but some of them didn't turn out so well. Put in a listing of the old links here if you want a peek. As I get time, I'll pull some of those pix off of some of those other pages and post 'em here....
Aloha,
"2Loose" Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 1959 FL "Hot Rod"

Post by 2Loose »

OK, I had some time, so I went back and pulled some of the pix off of those old webpages:

A pic of the '59 in about '68 when I first got it together and running, next to the '62 frame as I started chopping it.

Another pic, that's my oldest boy Vincent, guess what he's named after?
Always wanted a Black Shadow, never found one in my price range....
He's an old guy too these days....
That front end eventually went on the '62....

Here's the motor. Don't have any pix of the assembly, it's all S&S parts inside. Crankcase is clearanced for the 4-1/2" stroke flywheels, and I rented a 3-5/8" boring plate from S&S and bored the cases for the big jugs, The breather hole in the right side case was squared off and degreed in according to S&S specs. Put an Andrews B grind in it.

Fitting the S&S longer studs for the 3-5/8" jugs:

Oh those jugs do look good on there!

End gapped the rings to 0.015", a little wide maybe, but I don't like 'em too tight. Assembled 'em on the pistons and fitted 'em in the jugs....

Got the pistons installed on the rods, circlips installed on the piston pins, without losing the jugs off the tops of the pistons, slid the pistons up into place, and oh yeah, I did remember to put those base gaskets on the cases first, and bolted the jugs down!

Now the heads, STD ported big valve dual plug heads, fitted for the 3-5/8" S&S jugs:

Had to press the guides in, then start fitting the valves and springs:

The guides are installed:

Stuck the valves in for a first look:

Set the new rockers on just to see, Oh My !!!

Set the new dishpans on, and found they were hitting the rocker boxes.
I think STD machined the rocker pads too high. It looks like I have enough
room in the frame I'm going to use to put some spacers under the dishpans,
have some flat style "D" rings for the dishpans I can use as spacers with two
gaskets, think that will work OK;

More later,
Aloha,
Willy
Last edited by 2Loose on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Keep it coming. Things like this is what keeps me up late at night.
Totally amazed. This is like my grandpaws nitro Harley. You can watch just can't touch.
He was like you forgot more than I will ever know.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Swamprabbit1 wrote:.... like my grandpaws nitro Harley..... He was like he forgot more than I will ever know.
My Dad was that way, born in 1913, died in '08, a wrench twisting old curmudgeon to the very end!!!
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

love to see this kind of stuff, that gives all sorts of nice warm fuzzy feelings.

i've been in on some of that myself quite recently. was up until 3:30 this morning getting my knuck's heads back together finally. it's an old racing engine, so there's been quite a bit of custom stuff happening for it, too. i'll be glad to hear the old boy again.

i particularly enjoyed the background story of the pan. kudos to you for chasing it down so you can get it back on the road.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Always wanted a Knuckle, Dan, just never found one in my price range, broke down enough so I could afford it and fix it!
Read all your blogs, etc, must be frustrating to get parts and the services you need over there. Sorta like here in Hawaii.
I've contacts in LA, Seattle and Florida, that's where I get the parts, services I need. There's an old timer lives near me
who is a master at balancing them though, he does all my flywheel assemblys for me.
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a couple of old rigid frames I thought of using for this project, it's here in this collection somewhere:

I ended up trading this stuff off for other parts I needed, the new owner of this stuff
had a huge grin on his face last time I saw him....

And an old industrial accident has given me a bad back, and I don't last too long these days
on a rigid. Keeping the '62, it's a rigid, and will ride it as much as I can, but decided to get
a little more "comfy" ride going with the '59. A buddy stopped by one day while I was working
on the motor, and ended up offering me an old Paughco drop seat style 4 speed
swing arm frame. He even dropped it off at my shop for me, thanks a whole bunch, Ryan!

I rebuilt the swingarm bearings and got it back to nice and tight with no "floppyness'
in it at all!

Given my age and knowing what it might take to kick start this 93" motor, I decided to
go with an early e-start 4 speed, it should fit into this frame nicely, I thought!

I located and bought an early e-start 4 speed and set it in the frame, and the rear ears
hit the left side pivot for the swing arm. I could trim the ears to get clearance, but
decided to flip the pivots to the rear to get increased clearance for the e-start
setup.

Clamped the frame down solidly to a welding table, squared away, aligned, and
welded up a solid pivoting jig under the swing arm, bolted to the swing arm's
shock mounts:

I've got some other pix of this somewhere, just can't find 'em, will add them
later if I can find 'em....

Cut loose the pivot tabs from the frame very carefully with a 4" cut off tool,
flipped 'em around to the rear side of the frame, and very carefully welded
'em back on, and unbolted everything. It looks good to go:

The alignment is good. The wheelbase is increased by 3". The only downside
is that the chain will have a little more looseness to it during a hard deflection
of the swing arm, like hitting a hard bump. If it is a problem, I can always add a
spring loaded chain tension device under the lower side of the chain.

Set the tranny plate in....

and the e-start 4 speed....

I have these early e-start primaries, think they are '65....

Put the inner primary in place....

So, just to get a look at it, I put the '60 case with the jugs and heads on it in the frame....

Now I just hafta finish up the '59 motor build and get it sittin' in
this frame....

I like the open primary belt drives, ran a Primo drive on my '62 chop
for many years with no problems. So I may end up cutting up this
primary to use as support for the e-start tranny so I can run an
open belt on this bike.

Down the road I may fab a wider setup at the rear for a fatter rear tire,
but that's way down the road....

More later,
Aloha,
Willy
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

You could also use a nylon slider on the top and or the lower side of the swingarm like they do on sportbike frames if you end up with problems with your chain.

Not have to have a tensioner on the bike.

Just a thought if you do need something.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Thanks, that's a good thought
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had 3 sorta old webpages on the '59 motor that got corrupted by wXP software trying to run in w7.
Finally got 'em cleaned up and working, but that software is history, got new software now....
take a look, and I'll post over in the 'bullhouse' too....
http://www.wheelsmaui.com/59FL93project1.html
Aloha
2Loose Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I'm gettin inna certain frame of mind where I'm kinda anti-show, even the guys with the folding
chairs in the McDonalds parking lot with their very nice old bikes and cars.
Just wanna ride 'em, to wherever, no big fuss, whatevers, ya know?
So thinkin' on just sandin' down the frame a little, remove old or loose paint,
patch the rusty spots, and clear coat it. Damn, this frame has earned it's
'good looks'....
Aloha,
2Loose Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Thought I had lost a webpage that had all the Paughco frame pix on it, but found it yesterday. There's a bunch more pix of the frame gettin' the swing arm pivots reversed. Not a complicated mod, but it provides room for an e-start setup in this frame without having to cut or modify the tranny/starter setup.

LINK to the frame page for the '59

Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”