Kandy

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

Re: Kandy

Post by friday »

jesus thats a beautiful looking frame . seems a shame to cover it with tank . not my bike but 2 side tanks below top rail level wouls help give it room to view it. brush finish ?
axle plates are lookers too

... :popcorn:
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Post by spidr »

I'm doing split tanks, but they wont be level with the top of the frame. Issue is that everyone tells me I'm a giant, 6'4" and 230lbs, so if I make it that low and short it looks completely dissproportionate when I get on it. If I raise the tank a few inches it doesnt mess with the eye that much, and gets me closer to so,ething built for "me"

Of course if I hate it I'll do something like you're suggesting, but I need to try to fit it to me first.
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Post by spidr »

Days like today make me feel like I accomplished a lot.
Got the rear upper bars in, cross bar and upright........They're much more complicated than they look, hopefully its worth it. Hoping to get the frame welded best as possible tomorrow, and cut some trans mounts, then pull everything apart for clean up and polishing before I start on some tins and wheels.

gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I know whatcha mean ! I am 6'1" and when I was in the Navy weighed in at 250 lbs (flat belly , no fat) I was told that me riding around on my bone stock '65 T120 looked like a shaved gorilla on a moped !
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

I spent some time doing tedious welding and blending tonight, gonna pull it off the jig tomorrow so I can hopefully finish it out, but while I was working, my boys made me a stash tube plug for the end of the backbone.......
With any luck I'll have some front end stuff in a couple weeks, and if I make up my mind on a rear wheel, I could have a roller by christmas...

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Had all my kids up today, so while I kept welding, they got at the lathe again, and started sanding stuff. Got the upper motor mount done, its stepped the same way the stash plug was, which is a recurring theme. Made a plug for the lower frame rail, once this things assembled it will be invisible, but I'll know its there.
Took a pic of the motor mount, trying to show the multi-dimensional mounts, and we got started on the oil bag. Similar profile as the other stuff, it started life as the pieces at the bottom of the pic on the lathe, welded up, turned down, trimmed and ready to put the middle in. Should havethat done and mounted tomorrow.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Got my oil tank half way done, trying to cram as much capacity as possible, so its going to be a slightly unconvetional shape in the back. I'll get the bungs and back of it together tomorrow though, and get it mounted.
Took the frame home to eyeball it while I hang out with the family, Getting some ideas for finishing stuff out, and making some patterns to cut tomorrow. Getting real excited to get some parts on it though, and got a few emails tonight about parts I need, so hopefully this all starts coming together fast.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

My boy wasnt happy with the width of the tank so we cut it in half. Then I got worried about the capacity, so we extended it rearward. Got it back up over 3.5 quarts, with the big filter it will be over 4 quarts.
Added some bungs for a sight tube on the front, tomorrow can get sides filled in, and the mounting bungs, and the feed/return line bungs. Then I can clean up the crap welds from the dirt material and polish this thing up.
I do like the lines and the seating position though.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Made the filler for the oil tank. Cant cut threads on the lathe, so went with what I can do.
Made it to accept the same plug as my stash tube, because nothing sucks worse than losing a cap.....Thinking I might make the gas caps the same and just use Buna O-rings. Oil and gas caps will be brass though, need to pick up a knurler so I can put some grip on them. Working on redoing all my questionable welds too. Feeling a whole lot less rusty with the TIG today.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Getting somewhere with the aluminum.........Slowly.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Got my oil tank almost done, just need to add the bungs and fix a couple welds. Picture makes it look like shit, but I wanted to throw a little polish at it and see if I liked it that way or wanted to go brushed.
Derek also posted up he's working on my trees, stoked to see them coming to life. If you're on Instagram, go follow him. He's a seriously skilled guy.

http://instagram.com/derekseiber

2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Projects built at this level just blow me away, your skill levels are just plain amazing!
And I am enjoying the show....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Derek is killing it on my trees. And while he made chips, I made dust cleaning my tank, all in needs is the last top piece and a pressure test now.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

One last post because he just emailed me. Seriously blowing me away.

oldboy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building, fettling and racing motorcycle's since 1969 - now mucking about with a Japanese custom a 1987 EN450 Kwaker - plan is to re-model and style it into a bobber/chopper type thing.... I also have a 1986 Suzuki GSX750 planning to play with this one over the winter this will be an AMA superbike replice/streetfighter type thing

Post by oldboy »

Mate, seriously liking this build, looks like a nice simplistic, artful chop - and we all know that they are the most difficult and time consuming to build, keep on it my friend.....

Return to “Project Build-Logs”