Kandy

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Kandy

Post by spidr »

Building another bike. This one has been entered in Peoples Champ for Born Free 7 this coming June. Top amateur builder gets a spot as an invited builder with the pros.

Rendered the whole thing in 3d so the only surprises are that I've never built a Harley.

S&S is helping me get into a 80ci Cone shovel crate motor. Got a guy named Derek Seiber making me the spool wheel and triple trees to my spec.
The frame is 100% stainless. Plan for the tins is aluminum, and lots of brass accents. Trying not to paint anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYpsFoWgvU

First thing to make was the neck. Then a couple cones for the jig.

Last edited by spidr on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
spidr
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I own a custom fab shop, and build choppers in my off time. I like to build differant from the norm, no cookie cutter stuff, no bolt ons, foot clutch, hardtail, and loud. My kids help me build, they learn how to run the equipment, and we get quality time together while they build some skills.

Re: Kandy

Post by spidr »

Got a jig going.

Got going on some neck details.

Made my axle plates.

And enlisted some help to get on the frame

And got it into the jig with my motor mount template

oldboy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building, fettling and racing motorcycle's since 1969 - now mucking about with a Japanese custom a 1987 EN450 Kwaker - plan is to re-model and style it into a bobber/chopper type thing.... I also have a 1986 Suzuki GSX750 planning to play with this one over the winter this will be an AMA superbike replice/streetfighter type thing

Post by oldboy »

I like the look of that, keep posting mate.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I really like that piece on the lower tube by the neck
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

That will actually be on both before I'm done. The neck needs to come off to open up the center hole a little, and set the final rake, so when it does I'll get the other one on.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Looks good man.I like single down tube frames.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Got my neck ripped off, bored out, and back on the frame with the second accent detail. Set the rake, and measured up for the motor mounts.
Working on that tonight, my buddy dropped off an Evo to use for mockup, so I should be able to bolt that up tomorrow........And last night during arts and crafts with the kids, I drew up my seat.........Now to carve it.

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

it's got the whole 45 frame thing going for it - likey likey.

free handy, eh? that ain't right, man.

by all means, proceed.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Glad you picked that up. Theres a ton of referances to old Harleys, and other builders that are a big inspiration for me, everyone might not see them, but I know how it came about.
I think you're the first person thats pointed out the 45 look, without me having to find a google image and explain.

And its Kandy not handy.....;) Either way, its offensive, and it makes me chuckle.
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Got at the mounts.........Awesome day. Tolerances are as good as I could have hoped for since I built it before I even touched a motor........Stoked about the fit.
I'm NOT running the EVO.........Just need to get moving on this.

Once everythings welded out I'll have to get some good shots of the mounts, they're actually layered and molded, should look awesome if anyone notices them.

spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

My brothers in town, and he wanted to help, so the last couple of nights we've actually been hitting the shop, and getting stuff done.
Welded up the other axle plate, and made some threaded handle bar slugs. then tonight we got the jig set up and rolled some more tube.
Hoping to get the upper tubes in tomorrow. they're going to take a little more work though.

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Really liking this frame; how the curved rear pieces tie in at the axle plates. Nice welds. Great job on the engine fit.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The pierced overlays on the tubing around the neck intersection are very creative and something that gives the frame that 'personalized' stamp. It's a lot of work but well worth doing it. Most people have no idea how much time and effort go into a custom frame like this. Not just shop time but 'brain' time as well.
spidr
Stalker

Post by spidr »

Yeah. The tubes to the neck will be finish welded, and then once the overlays are on they will be blended into the neck. I'm not going to blend the structural welds, but I want that piece to look like one flowing piece.
I figure once the neck is molded, all in I'll have around 40 hours in the neck alone, between prep, shaping, welding, molding and polishing.

The end result will be well wworth it though, My biggest regret is usually that after all the labour, the details get lost in paint, and this time that wont be the case, so I'm being a little more obsessive.
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Looks great.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc

Return to “Project Build-Logs”