62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Here's a teaser,
more pix HERE
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

When I first put the Denver's Frame on the ground with the long narrowed glide it felt so right with my buddies pushing me around in front of the shop, that I just had to complete this project...
Basically just swapping out the frame and the gas tank, the rest is what I first did back in the late 60's...
More Pix Soon...
Willy\
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Put the tranny plate on the tranny and bolted it up, it all went fine until I tried to put that right side 5th bolt in, no go!
The slot in that right side frame bracket was just slightly too close to the left, so I had to file it on the right side,
and test fit about 3 times, finally it would bolt up....
Once I got it to fit, I decided to switch it to a stud for that slot, with a heavy duty washer and a nylock nut,
it all looks good to me now...
Went ahead and put the kicker and clutch release arm on the tranny...

Pulled the rear wheel back off so I could mount the oil can, it's looking good....

Of course I put some polish on it before hanging it on the bike...

Dug the generator out of the parts box, it was pretty grubby...

It took quite a bit of scrubbing and polish, but it cleaned up nicely...
It's the original 6 volt model 58R that came with this bike...

I've been told that these can be rebuilt with 12 volt parts, anybody know anything about that ??

More later,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Cleaned up the voltage regulator, it's an early solid state unit that also worked as a battery eliminator...

Put it back in it's usual location under the oil tank...

Painted and bolted up the sissy bar...
Just smoothed it out a bit, the old "Road Scars" are still visible
under the fresh paint....

Put the plate for the license and the safety tags on...

The safety tags are a joke here in Hawaii, just a way for the State to collect another $20/yr in taxes...
These are the last safety tags I ran, expired in April, 1990...

More later...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got everything I needed bolted back in place on the rear fender, so put the rear wheel back on...

Painted the headlight bracket and hung the headlight on the front...

One more shot...

Still need to clean up and paint the foot pegs, install the clutch assembly and the drive belt and rear chain, install and time the magneto, figure out the front brake master cylinder and hydraulic line, and do the oil lines, the fuel line, and the wiring.

But taking four of my grandkids out for the day gets top priority !!!
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got a little time today, so started the cleanup on the shifter brackets and the rear brake MC brackets, and the MC itself...
Pulled the MC out of it's plastic bag, it looks bad...

It cleaned up pretty well in the solvent tank...

The insides were this venemous black goo, washed it all out, and tried to disassemble the piston, but
it wouldn't come out, will need a "bigger hammer"....

More Later,
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Drive the piston in a little then hone from as close to it piston as you can get to the outside until mostly metal shows, wash the bore out, aim the bore at a pile of rags, blow the piston out with 100# of air. If you don't have a brake hone, saw a slit down one end of a small piece of shaft then slip a loop of emery paper in the slit, chuck the other end of the shaft in a drill motor and you have a poor boy hone.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got it !
Hadn't thought of driving that piston in further, good idea...
I did try the max my comp. puts out, about 125# and it wouldn't budge !!
Have done the "poor boy hone" route before, am familiar, but I think the hone
I used on the wheel cylinder might be small enough, will check that tonite when I get to the shop...
This is it:

I was going to try threading the hole in the piston where the push rod goes and see if I could thread
in a bolt and use that to pull it out, but I like your idea better...

I'm also of a mind to go get a smaller hone if the one above is too big.
Never have too many tools, as long as they get used !!

More later, and Thanks....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

My smallest hone is just slightly too big. The local Napa didn't have anything smaller. Tapped the piston further in as far as it would go, about 3/8". Then I used some good steel wool and my lil' finger and got it cleaned up pretty good, then with air it popped right out. Doesn't look too bad really, but as long as I have it apart I'll get new parts and rebuild it. The rubber cup looks like 11/16" diameter, haven't checked what the actual bore is supposed to be. Will do that. If I can get them, a new rubber cup and a new o-ring on the piston really is all I need. Plus putting a shine on the bore inside the MC....

Looked up the HD part #s,
41762-58A, mc repair kit
41766-58, washer, filler plug
And I can't find this part:
41770-58, plunger, mc

more later,
Willy

Later: Found the parts I need online,
and found the mc plunger in my shop....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I wonder if I could get one of these to fit under that rear fender??

Avon AV72 Cobra 150/80-16 Rear Tire

It's rated as a tubeless bias ply, so I should not have a problem running
it with a tube on my spoked wheel...
Wish I could find a decent illustration of the cross section with dimensions to check
if it would really fit...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Found the old wiring diagram....
It worked before, I'm sure it will work again...
Magneto ignition, so it keeps it simple...
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

the 150/ 90 r 15 on my XJ is a fuzz over 5"wide course the height will be different. The m90 R16 on my 50 scout is between 5 1/4" and 5 1/2" wide again the height will be different.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

The wheel is in the middle of the frame slot, so it can go back more, 1" ??
I'll have to measure it.
Also the width of the sis bar right there, it looks close, if over 5" that might work...
Would love to keep it old style looking, but fill up that rear fender.
Just looking around.
Aloha,
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

If my math is right the 150 width converts to 5.906" and 80% of the width converts to 120 mm or 4.724" high allow a little for the height to grow with speed
Dusty
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

might want to check if a 150 tire will fit safely on a 130 rim.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”