62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

That's the direction I'm thinking about also...
Will try some simple mods to this shroud, if that don't work...
Betcha I can come up with something cool looking that will work...
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Sitting here last night with my buddies and a couple shots of great Scotch, mulling over what to do with this generator problem, this model 58R six volt generator is just in way too "primo" of a condition to go cutting it up. As I have two more panhead projects awaiting my attention, and those will use stock HD style drop seat swing arm frames, that this generator will probably fit into just fine, I think I'm going to save it and look for another alternative...

If I go for a smaller six volt generator, I can keep my present regulator, head and tail lights, keeping it as "original" as I can to the "first build" from 1970.
A possibility from Cycle Electric:

Or upgrade to 12 volts, which would need a new regulator, and head and tail lights:
Another possibility from Cycle Electric:
The photo looks the same, probably is, but probably has different field coils and armature inside to make it 12 volt...

Then there's this choice, again from Cycle Electric, a modern generator with built in solid state regulator,
I'd still have to change out the head and tail lights...
And I'd probably go ahead and upgrade the headlight to a high intensity bulb that would really light up the road at night, along with a better bulb, probably an led, in the tail light to make it more visible...

Ahhh, I need some more Scotch to help me decide...
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Ordered one of these, and will upgrade the lites to 12v...
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

on the grease for the rollers, i use just regular old bearing grease and pack them and it works great for me. i don't know if you're really supposed to, but the idea of running bearings dry in that thin of a cage doesn't seem like an idea for longevity. anyway, it worked great for the short time i rode my bike.

about the Cycle Electric generator, you'll never regret it. everyone i know who has one says it's the last generator you'll ever buy.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

When I first put the tranny on the mounting plate and put it in the frame, it all looked good, put the belt on, and found it needed spacers to lift the plate up about 1/8"...

So I cut some 1/8" spacers and reset the tranny and plate, and got the clearance I wanted...

But with the belt no longer resting on the frame, I noticed that the tranny would rock slightly side to side. Checked it closer, and found that the trans plate was sitting solid on the front right and rear left bolt holes, but was rocking between the front left and rear right bolt holes. Stripped everything down and checked the plate, nothing there, completely flat. Checked the spacers, no, they are good. Put the plate with no spacers on the mounts, and yup, it "rocks".....

The Denvers frame tranny plate mounts are not square...

The gap is about 1/16"...

Thought about it for awhile, and decided to use three of the 1/8" spacers, and one 1/16" spacer, and I squared this thing up. Decided to put the 1/16" spacer on the right front location, which gave me the clearance I wanted for the primary belt, and the tranny plate sat nice and solid with no "rocking out"....

Adjusted the tranny back until I could just barely twist the top of the primary belt 90 degrees, which gave me about 1-1/4" total up and down flex at the middle of the top of the belt....

Now I'm sitting here looking at this breather, and wondering what to do to keep it from puking all over my belt !!!

Aloha,
Willy

Lots more pix HERE....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a couple hrs available before I'm taking my grandkids to a beach BBQ, so worked on the clutch and brake handlebar mounts...
The clutch handle is already for 1", but the brake MC is for 7/8", so need to open it up...

Decided to put 1/8" spacers in, clamp it down, and drill out the sides only using a 1" Unibit, leaving full thickness in the top and bottom areas...

Worked well, smoothed it up a bit with a hand file...
The front brake MC bolted up quite nicely, and with the front forks layed over full left, the reservoir is perfect for filling/checking....

Bolted the clutch lever on also, the levers are a bit long for these short hand grips, will shorten them up a bit to match...

More Later...
When I get back from the beach...
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Any ideas anyone on how to handle oil seepage from this breather?
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a couple hours so ran up to the shop....
My buddy had a small cylinder hone that fit....
So, honed 'er nice and smooth and stuck the parts in....

And put 'er back on the bike...

Oh, I think I'm in love....

Gonna keep the bars here....
Do notice though, that with an allen and a box end, I can rotate those foot pegs up higher....

More Later....

OK, Later.... thinking on how I want to wire it....
One switch, a DPDT, neutral is off, rear is rear light only, tail is on to load the gen set
and have it productive, when I switch it forward and turn on the headlights.

This will be fun ~~~
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I see you don't require turn signals or running lights.

We need those to pass inspection.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Hawaii is pretty good that way.
If it is a real classic, and this one does qualify,
They only require what the law required when it was made.
So, '62, no turn signals or running lights back then.
It's never been a problem here, but we don't go very
far or very fast, living on an island....
Mainland excursions are the way to let go and travel,
those trips always fun...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

On this bike, in "75, I shipped the bike into San Fran, they held the crate for me,
rode up via Napa, along the river north, across to Eureka, up the coast as much as it would
let me to Vancouver, BC, across east and north, Jasper Park, Edmonton, across to
Winnepeg, down to Milwaukee, visit the Factory, an engineer visiting engineers, was
arranged, was a whole bunch of fun...
then down to Nashville, then across, via Iowa, Salt Lake City, Reno, back to SF and
ship home. Bike ran perfect, only had gas availability problems going across Canada
so carried extra fuel there, and rode with a couple of different clubs while traveling, never had
a problem there either.
I should convert all those slides I took to jpg's and post a travel log...
Circa 1975 on a chopped '62FL
I betcha some folks would follow it...
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

hell yeah convert those and post them up with your stories to go with them. i love to see that stuff.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

2Loose wrote: I should convert all those slides I took to jpg's and post a travel log...
Circa 1975 on a chopped '62FL
I betcha some folks would follow it...
I will definetly read it. Thanks.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I would read it
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a little bit of time today, and realized the front brake parts I fabricated had never gotten paint, so pulled off the caliper bracket and painted it...

I could have smoothed those rough spots, but the whole thing is hidden by the caliper and the fork lower leg, so nobody will ever see it...

And the rotor carrier also....

Little by little, gettin' there...
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”