62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

When I fabricated this disk brake hub adapter to fit the oem HD '62 front wheel hub, I only drilled and tapped for the five bolts. Now I'm wondering if I need to install the five studs, like the oem HD brakes use, see pix below...

It looks like over kill to me, but I suppose that if these five bolts were to loosen
and fall off, the studs would keep the brake from spinning, at least...
This setup was for drum brakes front and rear, but I suppose it's a good idea for my disk brake setup I'm adapting to this '62 front end...

This is the hub adapter I made, with the rotor installed:

I measured the studs on this rear brake drum, they average 0.455", a really odd size...
The closest fractional size is 29/64", or 0.453", which is pretty close...

I also checked metric , but it is about in the middle between 11 mm and 12 mm,
so I do not know where HD came up with this size...

I suppose I could drill and tap for a 1/2" thread, and use five 1/2" bolts that are threaded only enough to screw into the hub adapter, and turn the shanks down to 0.455" to fit the '62 HD wheel hub.

Am just thinking it over for the moment, no decision yet...
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I've been riding a Sporty wheel that I drilled a Honda rotor to fit and it doesn't even have dowels. I just red loctited the bolts and went riding.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

the ones they make and sell for star hubs don't have dowels. plus any disc brake nowadays don't have them so i would just run it.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Yeah, that's probably where I'm gonna go...
Plus Red locktite...
W.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Good Info, Thanks....

Decided not to add the 5 dowel pins to my front disk brake hub adapter...
Reassembled the front wheel and brake with the freshly painted parts,
using blue locktite on the 6 rotor to carrier bolts and nuts,
and red locktite on the 5 wheel bolts...
It should be fine....

Put a new chain on, bought 104 links of O-ring chain, but I'll only need 100...

The chain comes too close to the back side of the clutch assembly...

I've ordered parts to replace this clutch pad on the hub, that should move the rest of the assembly away from the chain enough to have running clearance...
We shall see....
Aloha,
Willy

More pix HERE (scroll down)....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

My new 12v generator came, and the new drive gear also came, but it is a sloppy, loose fit on the generator shaft, unacceptable! So looking for an OEM HD gear in order to try to get a proper tight fit...

The gear on my original 6v model 58R generator is in good shape, that generator originally came with this '62 FL as a "police special" harley, and has a spring loaded rachet mounted gear, and I'm leaving it on that generator for a future project...

Put a new O-ring chain on, 100 links fit perfectly with the rear wheel most of the way forward, but the master link side plate holes were way too small, by 0.010", no way that was going together, but I was able to drill out those holes to a 0.004" loose fit, which I think should be just fine!!

More later,
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The generator gear must be a tight fit, preferably a light hammer fit. Most of the repops are spline destroyers. If it fits loose either keep shopping or carefully shrink the splines without softening the gear teeth. The original Harley gears were a very tight slip fit to a light interference fit.
I've seen enough people hurt because of slip fit master links that I would have pressed it together.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

That's a valid comment on the master link, Dusty,
the thought occurred to me to just get another master link, which I think I'm going to do anyway.
I tried pressing that side plate on, got it to go a little, then had one heck of a time to get it off again,
and all the master links I've run in the past 50 plus years never went together that tight.
If I could have drilled it to about a 0.001" press fit, instead of the 0.010" press that I had, I would have,
but I did not have the right bit to do that. I probably could have got it together, but if I ever had
to pull that chain out on the road, it would have been a problem, heck, it was a problem in the shop!

The instructions that came with the new generator called for about a half a thou interference fit for
that drive gear, so I'm lookin' for another one.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

After 3 aftermarkets that fit too loose on Pablos Pan Shovel I wrapped a wet rag around the gear teeth and with a neutral flame brought the splines up to dull red removed the flame waited for the red to dull and chilled it with the readily available rag. First time brought the previously floppy fit to snug handy the next brought it to a little tighter than specs. So rather than use the BFH I warmed it a little and put it in place before it cooled. It has been in place ever since.
A press fit master is a pain in the ass to remove, but they never come apart and jam the rear wheel, or break the trans case or wrap around your neck. After seeing all those things over the years I always use a press fit or cotter keyed master or peen a regular link. Saw a rider learn to fly but not land so well last week at Bonneville when the chain wrapped around the rear sprocket bout 300 feet up the course.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I have a new master link on order, and looking for an oem HD generator gear.
Am a little afraid to try the heat and chill method, but might give it a try if I get desperate...

Been away from this project for a bit, but had some time yesterday, so put the magneto in, and found all kinds of clearance problems! The mag base is hitting things, and the mag itself is hitting the front exhaust pushrod....

A bunch more pix HERE if you want, I spent some time on this...
and still have to work some more on it....

More later, we're dodging hurricanes here on Maui, and I need a beer or three...
Aloha,
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a little time to mess with the magneto today....

It's a tight setup, not a lot of room to mess with it, but I think I got it, I have this much room to move the magneto, full CW:

Full CCW:

And with the front cylinder in the ignition position, the points are just breaking open on the correct lobe in the middle of this available movement:

We shall see....
Willy

More pix HERE if you are interested....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

If that thing is gonna be jumpstart I would highly recommend one of Morris's kits that let you retard the timing. http://morrismagneto.com/oldSite/mra.htm A locked timing mag can be a evil thing to start My old 57 broke my ankle!
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I heard ya Dave....

Decided to try another magneto setup, one I had on the shelf for another project.
It has an offset base and gear drive setup, and when I tried it, it looks really good...
It's called a Morris G5 unit, and has an automatic retard for kick starting that has a good reputation, so decided I wanted to try it on this bike...
The base and mag head...

And it looks great on my '62 FL....

More pix HERE
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Much better choice, more spensive but way less painful in the long run.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yeah, good thing I bought it a while back for the '59 project, now I'm gonna have to replace it !!!
Gonna have to work some OT for some extra pay, or lots of special favors for the ol' lady, to pay for that one...
But I'm sure lookin' forward to gettin' her (the '62, knicknamed the "piledriver") runnin'....
Rode my oh-ten Dyna all day on Monday with buddies, that's a sweet ride, it's the "street bob" version, an FXDB, 6 sp, efi, 96 cubes...
A daily ride sweetie...
(and easy on my 74 yr old back, the dyna is a nice ride; the hardtail though, will probably get short run use, but lots of that...)
Aloha,
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”