62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

I wanted to run that mag on my '59 local boy project...
Guess I need to save my pennies and try to find another one...
It went together nicely, they wanted tranny fluid in with the gears, but it
looked to me like a major leak down into the gear case, I'll put some
in anyway, but lubed the gears with the same fibrous type wheel brg
grease as I used on the clutch hub, it should be just fine...

Aloha....,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Am concerned about the master link in my new o-ring chain, it was way too tight
to suit me, so I drilled it out to a 0.005" loose fit, but now I'm concerned that's too loose...

So I bought a new master link and boy is it tight, I put it in a vice to see how hard it
goes together....

It took a ton of pressure to get it to go together, way more than I consider acceptable....

Now the side plate is jammed on there so tight I can't get it off....
I need to loosen it up a little, but still keep it an interference fit,
just not this tight, it's too much....

Even if I could get it together like this on the bike, I'd never get it off again !!

More Later....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

get a small rat tail file and open them up a little untill you get a light press fit. i always do this because they're a bitch to take on and off on the road. never had one fail doing it this way.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

jbfrmca wrote:get a small rat tail file and open them up a little untill you get a light press fit. i always do this because they're a bitch to take on and off on the road. never had one fail doing it this way.
Yup, took yer advice....

Decided to get another new master link and rework it for a better fit....

The end couple of inches of this rat tail file did the job nicely....

Worked it one hole at a time until I could just barely force the plate on the pin with my fingers,
a nice tight fit....

Did the second hole the same, it takes all my hand strength to put it together,
a nice, tight, snug fit....

Put it on the chain, it was a bit of a struggle, but I was able to put it
together without any tools, except a channel lock pliers to compress the O-rings....

Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Tried fitting the original exhaust on just for grins....
The rear exhaust went on fairly well, there were a couple of problems....

This old pipe fit pretty well on the rear exhaust spigot....

But the kicker arm hits the pipe....

And the muffler is jammed up tight against the frame and rear footpeg....

I'm thinking of modifying it to fit and just use high temp black paint....

The front pipe is more of a problem....

The pipe hits the rear brake master cylinder...

And is wedged in tight against the front footpeg bar...

And has quite a ways to go yet to slide all the way onto the front exhaust spigot...

I'm gettin' there....
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Started measuring for the brake lines....

Used some mig wire and laid it out starting at the front brake MC....

Looped it around and down behind the left fork leg....

This last portion will be hose, not sure how much yet, or how much slack to leave in it
for the fork slider movement....
And will probably need some sort of bracket or clamp
on the fork leg at the top of the hose....

Did the same thing for the rear brake, starting at the MC....

Laid it out to follow the right side of the frame to the rear tranny mount cross member....

Across at the back of the tranny mount cross member....

Then up the left side frame rail to the rear brake....
Loop the brake line around from behind the brake to allow for rear tire adjustment....

That came out as 60" for the front brake line,
and 64" for the rear brake line.
Part of that front line will be a hose to the brake caliper, not sure how much to give there,
But I'll run solid line all the way back for the rear brake....

More Later,
Aloha,
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good way to mock up using the mig wire.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

The bike was sitting on this work bench below ride height....
Decided to block it up to ride height above the bench surface....

Had to add a few blocks at the rear to get it up where I wanted it...

Same in front....

Ride height is 9" at the front footpegs....

My old frame was set up very similiar to this, and I rode it with those solid footpegs for 20 years with no problems. I'm aware of the problems they could cause if I hit something with them, as compared to folding footpegs, but I did lay the old bike down once while avoiding a car that turned left in front of me, and those solid footpegs kept the bike up off the pavement, minimal damage to the bike. I like that.

As long as I keep my wits about me when riding, this amount of clearance should be just fine with a solid front footpeg bar....

9" at the rear footpegs also, just need to keep away from curbs and other such solid objects when riding and cornering hard....

Tucked the front footpeg bar in close and reset the front exhaust...

I will need to add an extension to the front pipe off of the exhaust spigot, but I think I can get it to fit pretty nicely without too much modification....

7" clearance at the pipe at this point....

It'll take some cutting and fitting, but I think I can get both mufflers to look good and fit the way I want....
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

On the advice of others who know more about this than I do, I cleaned the grease off of these gears, and put ATF in the gear case "bowl" of this Morris magneto...

Have a used "oem" generator gear on the way to me, let's see if it is a better fit than this sloppy "new" aftermarket one....

I had a new clutch hub on the shelf for another project, decided to pull this one off and install the new one to see if I get better clearance from the drive chain and the rim of the clutch assembly...

Cut and fit the old exhaust to the new frame/motor. Repair as needed. I'd like to get it to fit as nicely as it did on the old frame, I like this shorty setup, and have not yet found anything available today that looks or fits like these old ones did on the original frame...

Ordered new brake lines for both the front disk brake and the rear drum brake...

In addition to the above....
The Job List:
-Find, clean up and install the old Linkert and a new fuel line.
-Install the old speedo, new cable needed?
-Deal with the case breather, route it where?
-7 oz ATF in each front fork.
(running 2 oem springs in each leg with an adjustable preload, it works!)
-mount hi/lo light switch and mag kill switch on handlebars.
-Install new wiring.
-Repair front fender mounts and install.
-Chain guard? Didn't run one before, but maybe now...

Anything else ??
Yeah, need time, lots of other things demanding my attention, sometimes quite difficult to get back to this, my favorite project...
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Been traveling, one of my boys had his 50th birthday, couldn't miss that !!
But I had to travel about 6,000 miles to go there, so took my time and enjoyed the trip....

But, home again and back at it, and continuing work on the brakes, exhaust and wiring on the 62 panhead.
Pulled the old 6 volt voltage regulator off of the front of the rear fender, as the new 12 volt generator has a built in voltage regulator...

And a new hydraulic actuated rear brake light switch installed there.

Picked up a 3/16"x 40" steel brake line and fit it to the master cylinder
for the rear brake....

Ran it back along the top of the frame rail...

And to the brake light switch...

Measurements for the other side to the brake cylinder
was 34", picked up a 30" line but it was too short,
as expected, and the next length available was 40",
so still thinking about how I want to do that side...

And I don't have the right tool to do steel brake lines,
and not wanting to go buy one....

More later...
Willy
Last edited by 2Loose on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Did you ever find a gear that fit the genny right?
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Ha, that's another story....
Still got the "loose" gear on the generator...
Ordered another one supposed to be a "gennie", proper fit,
the padded bag shows up with a hole in it, just about the size of the gear....
My supplier ships another one, it shows up, and it's a 14 tooth, I need a 13 tooth....
The fourth one is on it's way, lets see how this works...
I'll let ya know....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I'm concerned with vibration being a factor on that single bolt mount
on this brake switch. Am thinking on how to reinforce it, quick and easy
but solid and dependable...

Hmmmm...
This calls for a good single malt and lots of ice....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Hmmmm...
This calls for a good single malt and lots of ice....
With whiskey n pills you could decide to add a plate to the other side from the existing bracket to the frame leaving it a 32nd long or so so the bolt on the other side would clamp it to the frame and you wouldn't have to drill the already painted frame.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yep....
We think alike, and I'm looking at cutting a rubber pad, maybe from an old tire, to clamp under that space between the fitting and the fender and just help support it against vibration...
Using steel lines supports it quite a bit also.
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”