62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

I'm runnin' hard with a whole buncha stuff going on, so here's a few pix...
Got the rear brakes done...
And started workin' on the exhaust...

There's a bunch more pix on my home page HERE if yer interested...
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Managed to find a couple of hours to go work on this project a bit....

Maybe I should just shorten that front pipe and just weld the muffler on here ??
Nawww, I gotta try to do this "right"...
Whatever that is....

Fabricated some brackets, and strapped them to the bottom
frame rail, and tried to hang the mufflers so minimal fab
work is required on the exhaust piping to get them done....
Considering sliding this muffler back a little and adding a little more pipe,
but it's pretty close to where I want it....

Measured the angle of the front muffler/frame here,
6 degrees, want to make the rear muffler the same....
That's going to take a little more fab work to get it right....
I hope I'm really up for this....

When I pulled the offset drive Morris Mag off the shelf,
where it was waiting for another project, I needed to replace it,
so I ordered another one for that other project....
Even though it was well packed in styrofoam and
well packaged, the Post Office must have used it
as a football, the cap was busted in a bunch of pieces!
It was covered by Post Office insurance, let's see if that
really works, or if it's just another Gov't scam !!

Aloha for now,
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Still working on brakes and exhaust...

Found these SS cllips online that fit the 3/16"
brake lines....
They needed a bit of reshaping to fit the frame tubes....
Just a bit....
Looks good to me....
Did 7 of them, should be enough for this job...
Now to drill and tap the frame tubes for these clips...

Found these in my scrap pile, not sure what they are from,
but I cut them up and reshaped them to fit the frame tubes
to hang the mufflers...
Got them located and welded them on....
Bolted up the mufflers, it looks good to go....
Now to cut and weld in some 1-3/4" pipe as needed....
Will use blacki hi-temp paint on the pipes,
but will leave the mufflers as is....

More later...
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a little time yesterday, and the 3/16" brake line clamps came with 10-32 ss screws, so dug out the 10-32 taps and the #21 drill bit and mounted 'em...
3 on each side looks good, and the fit seems good too....

More later...
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Cut and fitted some pieces of exhaust pipe....

Now to weld them up and paint them...

More HERE...
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Welded up the pipes with my mig..
It's an older Millermatic 251, but it still works well...
My hand not as steady these days as it used to be,
but the welds are solid, didn't blow through anywhere,
and I can dress up the welds a bit before I paint the pipes...
More Later....
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Dressed up the welds a bit on the front pipe,
Then ran an 80 grit roll over the surface to rough it
up where the hi temp paint will go....

I'll smooth out the welds a bit more, then
will paint them, but might leave the mufflers shiny....
at least for now....
Still thinking about that....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Am runnin' hard on other projects, but put the pipes on "as-is" and like it, am thinking WD40 frequently and keep 'em clean !!

Whadda ya think??
Willy

More HERE
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I know it's kinda out of fashion lately but I think they would look good in heat wrap from the front of the large part of the muffler to the head. I would BBQ Black them under the wrap so if I ever changed my mind the wrap would come off easier and not leave a rusted mess.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

A good comment...
I had not thought of that option...
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

This tape wasn't as black as the label said but it sure covers all the cuts n welds from making them fit a bike they weren't made for.Image I find that stainless safety wire is way less of a pain in the ass than the clamps that come in the kits.
Dusty
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

You can also spray the heat wrap with that BBQ paint after you install it ! Makes it black and shiny !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

You guys like that BBQ paint better than the VHT high temp paint?
I've never tried it, always just used the VHT from my local NAPA supply.
I have some flat black VHT on hand I can use, might go ahead with that...
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

BBQ black is made to stick to terribly under prepared,greasy surfaces n I just like the look better. I found some spray cans of metallic black stove paint that is a really neat look but requires twice the prep of BBQ black.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Went ahead and used the VHT flat black I had on the shelf, got 'em done for now...
Will probably redo them later on, and am interested in your suggestions above, I need to check that out...
But for now...

I even followed the recommended "baking" in the oven:
250 deg half hour
cool
400 deg half hour
cool
600 deg half hour
cool

Did it while my wife was off playing bridge,
and with the windows wide open and the fan on....
(I love living dangerously....)
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”