62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Had an accident, messed up my left hand w steel chop saw, cut a tendon, gonna be outta commission for awhile.
And i'm pretty mad at myself!
Willy
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Sorry to hear of your incident.

We know you will do a knockout job down the road.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Bummer man, hope the recovery is fast.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

wow, sorry to hear that too. i'm still trying to get back on the road from my wreck, so i feel your pain so to speak.

take your time and heal up well.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Just a quick update....
My left hand is still pretty messed up, having a heck of a time getting it functional again,
the Doc says it will take awhile, guess I get impatient and want it back to normal, like,
now....
Been messin' around a bit with the Denver's frame, smoothing and cleaning the welds to
cherry it out for paint, but with one hand it's a slow go....
But I have not given up! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Aloha to all,
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Rode my 2010 Dyna (Street Bob) today, first time since I injured my clutch hand.
Was ok, was able to work the clutch just fine.
Don't have a lot of endurance though, will have to build up on that.
Was sure fun to get back into the wind though, felt fine as good wine....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Wow, 9 months have flown by, how'd that happen ?
Well, my 4 wheel beasts have been giving me problems, so that has kept me busy,
And the rear motor mount, or "isolator" as they are called, on my 2010 Dyna glide broke last week, so now I have to fix that...
But I did get some prep work done on the Denver's frame for the '62, should shoot the paint soon, will post some pix...
The left hand injury is still a problem, but at least am getting some work done !
More Soon....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Well, I might be moving slow, but at least I'm moving....

Did some more prep work on the frame and tank and rear fender to get a better finish.....

Got yer shades on ??

More pix here
Willy
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

great googly moogly!!! i love it!!!!!!!

now that is a really beautiful shade of red. can't wait to see it with all the other parts on it. it's gonna be a thing of beauty.

thanks for showing us!
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

GM Torch Red from the 60's. PPG activated paint with clear coat.

Well, unfortunately I have a family obligation in AZ, so am traveling for awhile.
But I will get back to it !!
Willy
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

2Loose wrote:Well, I might be moving slow, but at least I'm moving....

Did some more prep work on the frame and tank and rear fender

More pix here
Willy
The pinstripe idea sounds good re.tank and fenders.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Am finally back home from my mainland travels.
Looking at the other parts, and trying to decide, refinish them or leave them as they have been for the last 46 years?
Like this sissy bar I welded up for this bike in 1970...
It still has the original paint on it, somewhat beat up though....
Am leaning towards fresh paint though. Red and black have always been the colors of this bike,
so maybe some fresh gloss black ???
Maybe another beer will help me decide....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got a lot of family visiting right now, taking a lot of time, but it is enjoyable time, I wouldn't miss it for the world...
but got some time in on the bike today, fitting up parts and finding where I have to do a little more work off on the side to get 'er together...
but came up with this:
More Here

Aloha,
Willy
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

Willy, that is SO beautiful. your smile says it all!

just yesterday i FINALLY got finished balancing my flywheels. tomorrow it's on to assembling and truing the crank!
should be able to assemble the engine next week and see how close i can get to being on the road.

congratulations on your progress!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Lookin forward to seein yer pix...

Got some parts cleaned up yesterday, gook and rust removed, and painted.
One was the tranny plate, had a little bit of time today, so snuck out to the shop and put the tranny in...
Don't like these bolts, so will get some new grade 8's and replace them....

Actually, the front ones are slightly too short, and do not fully engage the nylock nuts, interesting, as they did in the stock frame, so this Denver Mullins frame must use thicker stock for that front mounting flange. The local store did not have nylocks in the 3/8" fine (SAE) thread, which is what I want to use, and what the oem used. So I got longer grade 8 SAE bolts with grade 8 SAE hex nuts, and some SAE lock nuts to put on top of them. Will show pix when I change 'em...

Started working on the rear brake, all looks good, it was in good shape, was working just fine when I shut the bike down in 1990. I just got a rebuild kit from the local Napa store for this size cylinder, includes rubber cups, end covers, and a new spring. The old pistons are in good condition....

The wheel cylinder was a little rough looking inside, so got my small brake hone and cleaned 'er up...
Wish my insides looked this good !!

Put the rear brake parts together with the rebuilt wheel cylinder...
These are the same parts that were in the bike when I last rode it...
The parts to mount it in the frame needed some scrubbing and fresh paint...
Waiting for the paint to dry...
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”