62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by Dusty-Dave »

It will be alot less through the needle.Can't remember the specs for that bet Cotten would know. If he does't holler and I'll try to find my linkert book.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

I've got some old HD books too....
Hafta dig around and see if I can find em....
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

OK, got some new hose and removed the in-line filter...
Pulled the screen out of the filter that feeds into the float bowl....
Ran the hose open and got 675 ml/min., about 22 oz or 1.4 pints per minute
Then hooked it up to the float bowl and measured the flow through the float needle valve,
got 450 ml/min., or about 14 oz or 1 pint per minute....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Welp sounds like it's sumptin else. I would get a small squeeze bottle of gasoline and add a squirt of gas while it is doing it. If that fixes it for a minute you know it's in the carb - intake. If it gets worse or about the same we need to look at spark next I use one of these
so I can clip it on a plug and watch while I ride.The time that city cop caught me riding a Moto Guzzi Lemans with my Scope Meter in one hand wasted lots of time and got me a real ass eating. So I settle for a spark gap anymore.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

It started up and ran, not too badly, needs a little tuning, but need to get the brakes functioning first....
VIDEO
A couple of kicks on full choke, then choke half off and full open throttle....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I had that float bowl off, and the inlet float valve seat out, and when I put it back together, for some reason the seat ended up a little further back up in there than it was, which pushed the float down a little more than it was before when the fuel needle was closed. So the fuel level in the bowl is slightly lower then it was before. I want ahead and tried it, but will have to pull that bowl off again and try to raise the float level a little.

What I notice this time that's different is that as I open the throttle it revs to a certain point, then there's a hesitation, then it grabs and takes off, I think there's a hesitation where the transfer from the low speed jet to the high speed jet, and maybe raising the float level will fix that??

The tank valve still seems to be a flow restraint though, there's air in the hose in the upper 5"-6" that just never seems to work itself out, and that bothers me....

Brakes first though....

Then I have to see if one of the bottom studs in the transmission has "broken through", as I seem to be getting a pretty steady drip off the left side stud, but that has stopped now, because I think the tranny is empty. Always some 90 wgt. on the gears and bearings though, enough to start and run the motor in neutral for a couple of minutes like I did....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Still really busy with family stuff, but managed to get the oh-ten Dynaglide tuned up and ready for our annual Toys for Tots ride this Sunday....
And family that's been visiting since Thanksgiving is leaving today, so should have some time to get the '62 Panhead brakes/fuel/leaky tranny problems addressed and, hopefully, resolved before Christmas....
Happy Holidays (Holidaze??) to All....
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Still really busy with family stuff, but managed to get the oh-ten Dynaglide tuned up and ready for our annual Toys for Tots ride this Sunday....
And family that's been visiting since Thanksgiving is leaving today, so should have some time to get the '62 Panhead brakes/fuel/leaky tranny problems addressed and, hopefully, resolved before Christmas....
Happy Holidays (Holidaze??) to All....
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!

Return to “Project Build-Logs”