62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

When I had the original fuel needle in the bowl, I inverted the bowl and blew gently into the fuel line inlet, and it seemed tight,
and I could feel it opening and closing the air flow as I worked the float, opening and closing the needle.
So I redid it with the new needle and seat and, same thing, no leaks that I could tell, so saved the oem parts for whatever....
The throttle shaft and blade and the choke shaft and blade are in good condition, so left them as is.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

I'll get some pix, but just wanted to quickly post this.....
The intake is wider than the intake ports on the heads...
Tried to loosen the head bolts to see if I could get more spread on the intake ports,
nawwww, still too tight, it's a function, I think, of modern thinner base gaskets and head gaskets, causing the "V" to come down, moving the heads closer together, which is what I'm seeing. Will mike the head spread and the intake width and see how much I gotta remove. Am thinking a belt sander with the right grit on it....
Aloha,
Willy

Update:
I need to do a mainland trip to help out on some family issues, so it'll be a couple weeks before I can get back on this project....
W.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Just got back home from Copper Mtn, CO, where my 12 yr old grandson placed 8th overall nationwide in the 12 yr old snowboarding events, and my 9 yr old grandson placed 6th overall nationwide in his age group freeskiing events. Wow, am I a proud grandpa or what !!!

Managed to get a little time in the shop, working on the interference fit between the intake tee and the heads....

Back to the heads and the intake, the intake tee would not go between the heads, probably because these new base and head gaskets I've installed are thinner than the originals, and being a "V" configuration, having thinner gaskets pulls the heads down and closer together...
I could stack an extra base gasket or two under each cylinder, which would push it back up and spread the heads further apart, gaining extra clearance....

Or, I could measure and remove a slight amount of metal off of the ends of the intake tee....
But......

So I pulled my trusty old calipers and took a good look at just how much interference
I had between the intake and the heads....

The intake measured 2.970"

The heads measured 2.950" at the intake ports...
So first, I'm going to try loosening the head bolts, and the top mount bolts,
and see if I can get that additional 0.020" I need to fit this intake in there....

After loosening all the appropriate bolts, and tapping the heads away from each other with a block of wood and a hammer, tried again, and it fit...

It's a snug fit, with the head bolts loose, so I slowly snugged down the head bolts,
a little at a time, starting with the inner most bolts, closest to the carb,
and kept checking the intake tee, it still was not "jammed", so kept snugging
down the head bolts, got them snugged down pretty good, not torqued yet,
and the intake tee still feels "good to go"....

Those two top mount bolts will be the last ones I tighten down....

More later....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Still might remove a slight amount from the ends of the intake tee, after I get the max. amount of clearance I can from "moving" the heads apart, just to make absolutely sure there is no "binding" of any kind between the heads and the intake tee when it is cold. As the motor warms up when running, those cylinders will grow and the gap between the intake tee and the heads will open up, that's the beauty (and the pita) of this o-ring and clamp system HD used on these panheads. But when it is cold, I want the tightest fit I can get without binding in any way....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Pulled the intake tee out and torqued down all the bolts....
Then measured it, got 2.970", same as the intake tee,
so I got my 20 thou. but still pretty tight....

I had these nice clamps, and tried to fit it all together....

Tried a bunch of ways, the clamps hit this, or that, just barely,
but wouldn't go in....

View from the right side....

Pulled it apart, and put the intake tee back in, it's a snug fit,
so think I will remove just a little bit off each end to get a better fit....

More later....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Now that I got the heads shifted away from each other
about 20 thou, I can get the intake in there, but it is too tight,
so got the mill file out and removed a little on each side
of the intake tee....

Ended up taking a total of 5 thou off, half on each side....
It left some sharp edges, so smoothed them out
with some emery cloth....

Ahhh, a perfect fit, slides right in with no slop at all...

Put the O-rings on, but do not like the clamps shown previously,
looking for the oem style clamps, have some around here somewhere....

Now back to my carb, "Indian Head" shellac was recommended to
seal the float attachment, my local hardware store has this,
I wonder if it will work ok?
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

These are the kind of clamps I'm looking for, might have to buy a new set if I can't find the ones I thought I had...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Look what I found....
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I built 2 fiberglass ocean kayaks a few years ago, and gave the homebuilt mold a few coats of shellac.

If it stood up to fiberglass resin, it should be ok with gasoline IMO.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=852
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got my family (kids and grandkids) to the airport and shipped off to their home in WA, so now have some time (again)...

I went ahead and sealed off the screw, nut, and mount
on the carb fuel float with the shallac product above I got at ACE hardware,
guess I'll find out if there is a problem with it, but I seriously doubt that....
I was advised to use 'only' the "Indian Head" brand shallac, but....

Next was timing the mag, as I had to pull the mag to loosen the
head bolts and get the intake tee to fit, now that it is all snugged down,
I rolled the front piston into compression mode and brought the flywheel
up to the "three dots"......
(More info here if you want, scroll down....)

Got it close, and hooked up my little mag style timing light....

Rotated the mag between the "not fired yet" light....

And the "fire" light, got it right on the money and tightened it down....

Mounted the carb....

And started looking at what I need to hook up the fuel...

This was taped up from painting, and when I pulled off the tape, I found this...
I can clean up the rust, no problem there,
but I do not know this thread, it is a fine thread,
OD on the threads measures 0.868"

More Later
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I've just learned that this is a 22 mm fuel outlet, now to find a fuel petcock to fit it....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Short on time, but have a few photos, so let's see if I can pull this off....

That tube in the screen allows a reserve function inside the tank at that level....
Probably about a quart, probably good for 10 miles if I milk it,
(been there, done that....)

Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had some time this am, so got these posted:

The single fire Morris ignition leads were cut to fit
and terminals were clamped on the ends...

This is a pretty cool system, there are huge capacity diodes in that large piece
in the middle of the wires that direct the spark to one or the other spark plug,
instead of firing both spark plugs as the normal HD system does.
It can do this because the magneto system reverses polarity of the spark
each time it fires, and sends fire to both spark plugs, giving wasted spark to
the cylinder that is in exhaust stroke mode....

These diodes are set up to function opposite each other, so when there is a
positive polarity originating from the magneto, it goes to only one spark plug,
and as the next spark is a negative polarity, it goes to the other spark plug.
That way only one spark plug is fired, on the compression stroke, with
a hotter spark, and no wasted spark on the cylinder with the exhaust stroke.

One side of the magneto output is grounded, and the other side
is connected to the pair of diodes...

I tied the diode unit under the fuel tank....

Most folks wouldn't even notice it up there....

If I have the wires on the wrong cylinders, I'll just swap 'em....

It's a clean looking setup....

Swapped out the mag cap for a keyed unit, so I can lock out the magneto if I need to...

I'm jones'n for my old setup with flat bars....
Pulled the bars offa the shelf, and
found a local set of used 9" risers. gonna use 'em...

2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Swapped out the handlebars for the "new" risers and flat bars...
Lookin' good so far....

Plenty of clearance at the tank, both sides...
And lots of turning angle, real helpful when
moving the bike around in tight spaces....

Yeah, that '55 in the background is my other current project....
Poor things feels neglected !!

I share this shop space with a couple of other guys,
I have one stall, can get both the bike and a car/truck in my space....

Added the front master cylinder and the clutch lever....

Still looks good to go...

More Later
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Put some of that shellac I have on a screw and nut, let it dry...
And put it in a jar of gasoline to see what happens to it...
It's 93 octane and is E10, that's what we have around here....
Picked up this fuel petcock from a local shop,
Will keep an eye on it, as we do have E10 fuel here,
and I'm told these petcocks have seals in them
that do not hold up well around E10 gas....
Got the best fit with the petcock outlet hose barb
aimed to the left, had some clear hose, so hooked
that up for the time being, can easily change it out later if needed....
Also keeping the fuel hose from touching the pan covers
to minimize any heat transfer to the fuel line...

Even though there's a screen in the tank on the petcock,
and I kept the original screen on the Linkert fuel feed inlet,
I put another fuel filter on the line to see what might be coming through....
And will be watching that fuel hose closely near the exhaust pipe, even though it's
wrapped, I'll do whatever to keep the fuel line away from it. But it's a temporary setup....
Mounted the hi-lo beam switch on the left side, and the mag kill button on the right,
Gettin' kinda busy lookin' up there on those bars, might be able to
figgur out something better later on, but for now....
That's it for now, will get back on it soon...
Willy

Return to “Project Build-Logs”