62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Yeah, that would be the next choice, looked at making one out of some 16 ga galv I have,
not sure just how much clearance I need for that chain, looking at some options...
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I would bet that 60 thousands would be fine. Be way safer to measure the old and new chain and be sure that half the difference id 60 thou or less.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Stopped by the local ace hardware and put some
flathead brass #6 machine screws in....

The plastic surface is tapered same as the screw heads...

And I think I can torque down these and peen over the
ends of the screws.....

More Later....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Let's see if I can get all this on here, took a bunch of pix....

Still trying to get the clutch hub flange liner thick enough to get clearance
for the clutch basket and rubber belt pulley with the new, wider
#520 O-ring rear chain.....

Put the old clutch hub in the clutch basket/belt pulley
to see just how it looked, as this is the setup
that rubs against the side of the new chain....

Plenty of depth in there, look closely, you can see the dings on the edge
of that belt pulley flange from just turning the rear wheel by hand,
just imagine what it would do out on the road under power !!

Rigged up the new hub with both a new cork liner and a new
plastic liner and brass flat head machine screws (see page 20)
and dropped it in to see how it looks, the nuts on the screws
clear everything, so it looks good to go....

Put the old hub back on and measured the liner face to chain rivet clearance...
The chain hits with this setup, and the measurement is 0.263"

Then put the new hub on with the double stack of liners....
The measurement here is 0.413"....
Giving me a clearance of 0.150", more than I need,
am looking for a clearance of about 0.050" or so....

Alright, my buddy Jesse suggested removing the cork from a liner,
and just using the metal plate as a spacer, so I used this new one...

Use a wire wheel on a bench grinder, it cleaned it up nicely....
and this steel ring is 0.055" thick....

Decided to use the older hub, other measurements showed me that the
new hub sits just a little bit closer to the chain than the old hub does...
so I drilled out the rivets on the old hub (the one on the left in this pic)
and pulled off the liner, which is still in good shape....

Tried putting that old cork liner on with the new steel spacer,
the rivets are almost long enough, dried to peen over
several, but just could not get a good "bite" with them....
so gave that up....

I get a better fit with the new plastic liner and the flat head
brass machine screws, and will peen the screw end against
the nut on the back side.....

That steel nut is what I used between the screw head and the
vise that I used as an anvil when I peened over the screw ends...
You definitely want a solid connection to make that work....

Peened over the brass screw ends after torquing down
each screw, using that steel nut between the brass screw head
and the solid surface of the vise....

It looks good, the plastic liner and the steel spacer are solid....

Set the roller bearings in place, I'm not too happy with how the back
edge of the rear row of bearings is now located right at the
front edge of the liner, where the rear edge of the
clutch basket/belt pulley will ride, but I think it will be OK....

Put it together and stacked the clutch assembly in, it looks ok....

More Later....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

As I sit here in central Oregon (Bend) looking out the window at two feet of snow and frigid temps that this Hawaii boy is not adapted to anymore, I'm thinking about this clutch setup!

When I spaced the clutch basket/belt sprocket out from the chain for clearance, about 65 thou is what it ended up at, I no longer have my normal set points for the pressure plate and clutch disengagement adjustments. With the three nuts on the three studs cinched down so that the clutch hat sits on the shoulders on those three studs (see pic), there is no longer adjustment room to get proper clutch disengagement.

What if I make three spacers about 65 thousands wide to place on the three studs under the clutch hat to space it out about where it was before I added the extra spacer on the clutch hub flange, that should get me back to where I want to be, right? right!
Aloha,
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Just thinkin' out loud here....

The drive plates are bare steel, but the driven plates have wear material on both sides, so I could trim each one maybe 5 thou on each side to get a total amount enough to restore clutch adjustment....

Another thought, the outer most driven plate rests directly under the pressure plate on the studs and does not generate any wear on the outer surface. I wonder if there is enough material there to remove to accomplish the same thing? The material seen here on this clutch disk...

Or just double nut with locktite the three studs, with the cover/pressure plate spaced out just enough to restore clutch adjustment. Then as the driven plates wear over the years and thousands of miles I'm gonna ride this bike, I can just readjust those nuts in to compensate for that wear....

Hah !!
Merry Christmas everybody...
Willy
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Another thought, the outer most driven plate rests directly under the pressure plate on the studs and does not generate any wear on the outer surface. I wonder if there is enough material there to remove to accomplish the same thing? The material seen here on this clutch disk...
If ya gots an old plate it wouldn't take but a few minutes to knock the lining off of one side with the wire wheel on your bench grinder. Be sure to wear a dust mask, old ones are proly asbestos. If that works grind up the new one. Depending on whose plates I use I quite often leave one plate or one steel out of my Indian clutches.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yup, that looks like a good option....
Gonna check that out when I get back home...
Freezin' my okole (rear end) off here in a snowy part of Oregon...
Feels like Christmas !!!
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

VT No: 20-0229
big brg kit for clutch basket
"Clutch bearing kit contains 52 roller bearings which take the place of the offset roller bearings and bearing retainer , resulting in a smoother more positive, wobble-free clutch operation."

Giving this strong consideration.
Anybody used these?
Aloha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Dusty-Dave wrote:the outer most driven plate rests directly under the pressure plate on the studs and does not generate any wear on the outer surface..... is enough material there to remove......? Dusty
It's amazing how things can stack up when you're traveling away from home, and get back to find a whole lot of "catch up" waiting for you...
Had a great trip visiting family in snowy Bend, OR; and even caught some snow in the suburbs of Seattle WA!

Took your idea, Dave, and worked to remove this outer material to get more adjustment room...

Ground off the material with a grinding disk, reduced the thickness from 0.212" to 0.150", that 0.062" should be enough to give me my adjustment back....

Some flat black paint to keep the rust away, as moisture can and does get into this clutch pack....
(it looks wet 'cause it is, I just sprayed it....)

Aloha,
Willy

More pix here, scroll down....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Been away from this project a bit, home projects and the ever present "honey-do" list often take priority....
But also waiting for the "big bearing" kit for the clutch basket to arrive...
Drew up this schematic for the wiring, and started cutting wires to length....

Got some 14 ga automotive wire from Napa, I'd think that should be good for most of the circuits...
Do have some 10 ga, think I'll run that from the gennie back to the circuit breaker which is mounted under the seat...
Have an old switch box I fabbed the first time I built this bike, going to try to use that, it had fuses in it the first time,
and my new DPDT toggle switch and circuit breaker do fit inside, but just barely...

Also decided to use the OEM style chrome steel lines, they don't fit in this Denver's frame, as the horseshoe oil tank
sits higher and tilted back more than the OEM frame did, so will cut the ends off, flare the cuts slightly, and use automotive
oil hose from Napa with hose clamps...

will post more pix soon....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Am runnin' like crazy today, my wife has been traveling for the last 3 weeks, our place turned into a bachelor's quarters, so emergency action was required to get it "wife worthy" today....

But....
Managed to work on the oil lines a bit today....
More pix here, scroll down a ways....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got back on the bike project again, finally....
Started wiring up at the handlebars....

Mounted the mag kill switch on the right, next to the front brake MC...
Drilled and tapped for a couple of screws for the hi-lo headlight switch on the left....

It;s gettin' kinda busy lookin' up there....

Using the old original switch box I had fabbed all those years ago...
All it had was a switch for the lights, a 20 amp fuse, and a spare fuse carrier...

Rewiring it with a new switch, a DPDT,
and a circuit breaker....

There's three holes in the front of the box, where the original switch, and the two fuse holders were, will put the new switch back in the top hole, and am thinking of glueing the old caps off the original fuse holders onto the other two holes to cover them up....

More Later....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Was traveling for awhile, back home again, so back on the wiring part of this....
Only have a little time today, but got this far....

Over the years I've developed a pretty "bullet proof" method of putting end pieces on my wires, first slide a piece of shrink tubing on the wire, then crimp that terminal on....

Then solder it....

Then finish up with the shrink tubing....

More Later....

More Pix Here
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Started with #10 wire at the 12 vdc terminal on my new gen set,
it has a built in voltage regulator, etc...

Can run this gen set with no battery and a magneto....

Ran the wire along the bottom rail, left side,
and up to the circuit breaker....

Ran a hot from the switch under the tank up to the
headlight, plus put in a ground for the front end system...

Laid the wires, the supply and the hi/lo switch, so it lays well on full right....

Yet is not too floppy on full left....

And I don't think it will flop around on straight in the wind,
if need be, I'll tie it down...

So, what yer seein there is the hi/lo and the feed and the ground wires...

Ran the mag ground wire down the other leg from the handlebar...

Put a 90 on the brake light switch, for easy access when the tranny is back in....

Hung a piece of hose to route the wires from the switch box to under the oil can....

Drilled two holes in the bottom plate under the old oil can
tool storage space (the old battery box)....

Connections here are for the tail light and the brake light...

The tail light works great w 12 volts...

This is an led bulb, this is the brake light on top of the
tail light, it is bright.....

Fired up the head light, both high and low beams were REALLY BRIGHT !!!

Then they blew, still had the 6v bulb in, unfortunately....

More Later....
Last edited by 2Loose on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”