62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Did it while my wife was off playing bridge,
and with the windows wide open and the fan on....
(I love living dangerously....)
Willy
Last time I cured Glyptol in the oven it cost me a new oven and lots of apologies. Worse than the time she opened the dishwasher and it was full of engine cases. Thank god they were already clean.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

The wife came home....

"What'd you do...."

"Burned a toasted cheese sandwich...."

"Man, that's the weirdest toasted cheese sandwich I ever smelled...."

Back to the bike....
Hung 'em on the bike, will run 'em that way for awhile...
Still need to clean up and touch up the welds for the muffler hangers....

link to more pix
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

The carburetors on both my '59 and the '62 are identical and called Linkert M74's.
Somehow I misplaced the '62 carb, it has to be around somewhere, just can't find it, and I can't remember where I might have put it. But I have the '59 carb, and have ordered a rebuild kit for it. This is right off of the '59 motor over 40 years ago...
....Complete with original dirt !!

Let's see how well it cleans up....

And, a Happy Thanksgiving to all....
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Messed around today with the '59 carb.
Fine brass wire wheel brushed it...
I'm in love !!!!!!

Compare....

More here
'Loha,
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Some interesting markings on the sides of the Harley 1959 carb....
This carb was always known as a Linkert, so I'm sure the "L&L"
has something to do with that, and the "INDPLS" just has
to be Indianapolis !

I'm assuming the 1-1/2" is the venturi size...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

these are the parts kit I've ordered
thought I'd give it a try
it hasn't arrived as yet
but not sure I want that brass float
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Those tabs I welded on my freshly painted frame for the mufflers, needed to do something, so sanded and smoothed that area, mixed some activator with the paint I used on the frame, and hand painted the tabs, they look pretty good. Just wish I had remembered to fit those tabs before I painted the frame !!!
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The brass floats are way too heavy. You have to set the float level higher than factory specs and the fuel level varies widely because of the inertia. I use the fuel proof foam floats that Cotten at Liberty Cycle makes. I have two emails for him in my confuser liberty@npoint.net and libertynightshift@yahoo.com If those don't work he hangs out at http://forum.sscycle.com/ He cuts them out on his lathe and they are the best I have found. All the other aftermarket floats are way too heavy and the repro Rubber Duckies sometimes melt in modern fuel.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yeah, I found Tom Cotten and have ordered a couple of his floats.
Thanks!

Just too much going on in my life, and I love it all !!!
Hard to find time to go in the shop and work on the bike....

Heres some pix on how the bike sits at the moment...

And, Yeah, that's my '55 Chevy Sport Coupe I'm supposed
to be working on in the background there....

I share this shop space with a couple of other guys, so there
is always lots of projects going on in this shop....

Also reworked the "mouse trap", a spring loaded over center clutch assist device that these early Harleys used to assist the clutch lever effort....

I chromed parts of it in one of the shops in Honolulu in the early 70's....
They're all gone now, environmental concerns shut them down....
Aloha,
Willy

More Pix Here
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Back to the carburetor...

The float was swollen and it busted up pulling it out of the bowl....
So I ordered a "Durable" float from Liberty Cycle,
it's supposed to be immune to fuel ethanol problems....

Cleaned up the original pivot bracket, and used a new
mounting screw provided by Liberty with the float on my request....
The new screw and shank is slightly shorter then the oem one,
but it went together quite nicely....
I need to adjust it a bit, it is set a little high right now,
but I can do that when the rest of the rebuild parts arrive....
Waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive....

More Later....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

My 1.7 gallon tank forces me to fill at most any station regardless of fuel quality. I haven't walked home since I threw all the other floats away and went with Durables in everything with a Langsenkamp-Linkert or a Schebler. I think you made a good choice.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Ha!
The 6,000 mile trip I did in '75 on this pan was with a 2 gal sporty tank, going across some areas of the plains, both up in Canada and down across the mid west, I had a 2 gallon gas can strapped on the sissy bar behind me, it saved my butt many, many times! Here in Hawaii ya just don't go very far, so 2 gallons was fine. The new tank is about 3.5 gallons, so can go a little farther....

Ran into a problem with this new o-ring style chain though,
it's wider than the old style chain and is hitting the back side
of the clutch shell, so looking for ways to get more clearance...

I have a spare (new) hub on the shelf,
will try that to see if it fits better w/ the chain....

So locked down the clutch springs and pulled it apart...

Need to pull both sprockets and lift off the primary as a unit,
And I did remember that the motor nut is right hand....
and the clutch nut is left hand thread....

The new hub does not have a liner riveted on yet,
and I have a spare liner,
am considering doing a double thick liner
to give me additional chain clearance....

Hmmmmm....
I wonder if those rivets are long enough....

Other options I've considered are:
1. machine some of the material off the back side of the clutch shell to get clearance with the chain....

2. Machine some metal off the back side of the chain drive sprocket to get it to sit closer to the transmission on that splined shaft, but there is not much room to do that.

3. Part of this possibility discussed above, the taper on the existing hub, compared to the new hub I have pulled off the shelf, might be just enough different to give me clearance, so am thinking about how to check that without riveting on only a single layer of the liner on the clutch hub flange. Because if it still hits with the new hub and a single liner, I'm still where I'm at now. But I think a double layer might just solve my problem.

4.Run an old style non-o-ring chain, with the usual oily mess all over the rear of the bike.

More Later....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I assume you are running a #50 chain. How about going to a 520 oring chain and narrowing both sprockets. Just glancing at one mfgr specs 530 is 1.004 pin width and 520 is .7323 pin width. The widths vary all over the place from mfgr. to mfgr. in the same # o-ring chain. Modern 520 will stand the strain fine you see it on lots of race bikes n crotch rockets. I can't remember the big twin clutch well enough to make any suggestions on it.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

That's another idea, but in the meantime I'm going ahead with this idea...

I did take a look at the chain drive sprocket to see
if it could be repositioned closer to the tranny....
Nawww, it's already as close as I'd want it...

So, let's put this new hub on and take a look....

Just setting the single layer of liner on the hub flange...

Nope, it still is too close, just barely touching the chain....

Added the other liner, about an additional 1/16"

Ahhh, now I have chain clearance....

The problem is that the rivets are too short for a double layer of liner....

More "Hmmmmmm......." !!

and More Later....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

How about a sheet metal washer under the lining?
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”