62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

That Shellec is falling apart in Maui's gasoline....
Got the single fire leads on the correct cylinders...
Link to a video...

Worked on adjustments to the clutch setup...
Link to another video...

Shortened the fuel lead to the carb, keepiing it further away from the exhaust...

Can't find the damn plug for the crankcase timing hole....

Also adjusted the belt and chain...
and started bleeding the brake lines...
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Shellac will stand up to pure gasoline but alcohol eats it !!
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

I can't get the rear brakes to bleed though, the mc piston seems to hang after "pushing", sometimes retracts sometimes doesn't, might need to pull it apart and see what's up...
Might be able to disconnect the line at the mc and force fluid through it somehow, looking at that possibility....
Still need to find the right cable and hook up the throttle too....
Too many home projects/chores taking up lots of time....

I also gave in and ordered some of this, supposed to be the best shellac for what I want to do....
Let's hope it will resist Maui's E10 gasoline....

This is from the Permatex spec sheet for this product:
"For Cleanup, Use chlorinated hydrocarbons, acetone or alcohol."
Not a good sign...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

OK, what's going to happen if I plug this breather/primary chain oiler??
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Pulled it out, cleaned it up, brazed a nickle over the opening,
drilled the side and pressed in a barbed outlet...
I gotta fasten that barb in there better...
probably use silver solder, or epoxy...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

tree trimming yesterday
had a bad accident
am laid up w a busted arm
it'll be awhile ......
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got this done just before injuring myself...

Reinforced that barb in there with JB Weld...
It's pretty solid now....

Some fresh paint and we're good to go...

Just need some 5/16" hose and a clamp...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Put my modified crankcase vent in...
And routed the hose back under the bike....

Looking at how to route and hookup the throttle cable...
Throttle closed...

Throttle full open...

I'm in no hurry now, have to wait for this busted arm to heal !
But I'd love to fire it up and hear it run...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

A buddy suggests I should use one of these on my Linkert carb....

Converts your Linkert carburetor throttle conversion kit to use snap throttle.
Kit is made out of aluminum. For use with overhead valve models to use snap throttle.
Fits: FL 1941-1965 .. EL 1936-1952
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Borrowed some Indian Head shellac from a buddy....
It seems to have a much thicker consistency than the Bulls Eye shellac does...
Gave it 24 hrs to cure....
And dunked it in some E10 93 octane....
Lets see how it holds up....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

This is after 1 week in E10 gasoline...
I'm going to have to find something else to
try to seal off the Linkert float bracket and screw....
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

2 part epoxy , super glue , and I think Permatex makes a sealant that does not react to alcohol !
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Call or write Cotten he is usually right on top of what fuel is dissolving.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

there is a product called "the right stuff". there was a guy that tested all sorts of sealants and this is the only thing that modern gas did not harm. although it says not to use is gasoline applications it did not seem to harm it at all. do some research and see if this will work for you.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

This stuff looks like it has possibilities....
http://www.klasskote.com/product/KKA040

Klass Kote Epoxy Clear #40 is the side-A component of the Klass Kote Epoxy 2 part clear coat system. This clear coat part-A epoxy paint is a catalyzed epoxy clear coat, and requires equal parts [by volume] of the part-B component.

TEST 5 - Fuel Proofing

The chemicals typically used in the operation of engine-powered models are particularly harsh on paint. Oil, alcohol, and especially the nitro-paraffin’s (nitro methane, e.g.) will often break down paints almost immediately. Sometimes, so-called "fuel proof” paints (butyrate dope, for example) will resist these chemicals for a while, but eventually succumb. In some cases, the fuel causes the paint to become sticky; in other cases; the fuel buries under the paint and lifts it off the surface.
The test procedure here was to soak a towel in fuel and vigorously rub the paint. When no effect was noted on the paint using 5% nitro fuel, the fuel was allowed to sit for an hour on the paint and at its edge, and the test repeated. When the paint survived this test also, the same towel-rub test was made using straight 100% nitro methane. The paint was unaffected.
A further test was made out of curiosity to see if amyl nitrate, (used as an ignition improver in model diesel fuels, and known to be hard on some paints) would affect the paint but, as before, no breakdown was observed.

I ordered some, let's see how it holds up submerged in E10 gas.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”